• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HELP!! Might get Mach 3 baskets on new course

I said it before but maybe try to convince them to go with Mach Vs if they are dead set on DGA at that price point. I have never had any cut throughs or spit outs in the 8 years I have had one.

Also, I think the complaints you hear about Mach III's and Chainstars are likely because there a lot of courses using 15 year old corroded or off balance targets that should be replaced.

I said it before but maybe try to convince them to go with Mach Vs if they are dead set on DGA at that price point. I have never had any cut throughs or spit outs in the 8 years I have had one.

Also, I think the complaints you hear about Mach III's and Chainstars are likely because there a lot of courses using 15 year old corroded or off balance targets that should be replaced.

I think it is likely that you can't make everyone happy and baskets are a prime scapegoat for a missed putt. IMO, it is really never the baskets fault....or wind, or the talkative card-mate or....

A disc golf basket is like a basketball hoop. Chains are the backboard and the cage (rim/net) is the real target. A basketball backboard has a sweet spot that you need to hit with a certain speed or you aren't likely to make it. If basketball hoops evolved like disc golf baskets currently are you'd see 200+ point games.

It is your job to put the disc in the basket, not the baskets job to accommodate your putt.

Your argument can't be that baskets aren't designed to catch discs right? Sure they are, or there would have been no reason to move on from Mach 1 baskets.

I did recommend Mach V if at all possible if we need to stick to that budget, we'll see.

I think it is likely that you can't make everyone happy and baskets are a prime scapegoat for a missed putt. IMO, it is really never the baskets fault....or wind, or the talkative card-mate or....

We can still try to make more people happy, especially if it's just a flick of the pen on ordering what the people want. Why else would we build courses for free?

I prefer the original DGA baskets, the single layer ones. Whenever I find an old course with old baskets I always have the best time.

Modern smash putting is diseased.

Mach III hate kinda amuses me. I was watching a thing where Eric McCabe said he couldn't hyzer putt when he was learning to play in the 90's because you can't hyzer putt on Mach III's. Climo hyzer putted a lot. :| They are not nearly as bad as their reputation. I've watched guys barely tick chains and then complain that the Mach III didn't catch their putt. Uh...try making a good putt first, then complain if the basket doesn't catch it.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy them new put them on a course now because there are better baskets now and the price point isn't enough of a savings to want to stick with the old basket design. It would be like buying a new car that doesn't have airbags and only saving $100 off the cost of the car. Why would you do that?

I agree with Three Putt that they aren't the best for a new installation, even though they are still decent baskets. Perhaps contact some manufacturers and try to get decent pricing, plead your case like you did here. Maybe they can work with you on some decent pricing to get their baskets in instead of the Mach III's.

Even at $40 more per baskets that's $720 additional for the course. Being someone who revamped a course I see that $720 as 3+ additional teepads lost on higher end baskets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'll take III's over V's every day, twice on Sunday.

Mach V's have the biggest holes of any of the major manufacturer's baskets, and that giant ring the chains connect to acts like a pendulum to swing your disc right out of the basket.

I'll take III's over V's every day, twice on Sunday.

Mach V's have the biggest holes of any of the major manufacturer's baskets, and that giant ring the chains connect to acts like a pendulum to swing your disc right out of the basket.

Weird, I've never noticed any holes or pendulum action on mine. Are you thinking of the Mach 2? It's basically the same basket but with lighter chains.

Weird, I've never noticed any holes or pendulum action on mine. Are you thinking of the Mach 2? It's basically the same basket but with lighter chains.

The Mach 2 has 6 inner chains, so every other gap in the outer 12. So every other gap has a bare spot that you can hit the pole with almost no chains in the way

Nope, V's. the issue with the big ring is much worse on the newer ones that have the extra deep basket (attached).

It happens with a putt that just gets over the basket, on a slight hyzer, strong side. The disc hits the chains, which pushes the big ring up against the pole. At that point the disc is basically sitting on that ring. Then the chain assembly swings back and launches the disc right out.

I've seen it countless times, since both the Madison city courses have these.

Attachments

• Mach_V.jpg
    Mach_V.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 21
Nope, V's. the issue with the big ring is much worse on the newer ones that have the extra deep basket (attached).

It happens with a putt that just gets over the basket, on a slight hyzer, strong side. The disc hits the chains, which pushes the big ring up against the pole. At that point the disc is basically sitting on that ring. Then the chain assembly swings back and launches the disc right out.

I've seen it countless times, since both the Madison city courses have these.

100%, we have Mach V's on a few courses in and around Des Moines and I have one in my backyard as well. The large ring on the Mach V will slap out good putts that are low and hard. I putt with KC pro aviars and I tend to putt hard, it's frustrating at times.

Mach III are not like other baskets

I did not read all the posts on this thread, so maybe somebody already called this out - but Mach IIIs should not be used, the top of the basket has no common band or bar, it has exposed loops that hold the chains, so deflections are random.

I always thought the sacred Delaveaga/Masters Cup was a joke because they had Mach IIIs for so long (have since been replaced with Mach Xs). So if you hit high, you can deflect in a number of different directions and get different rollaways.

Do not get me wrong, I do not like the big yellow chastity belt on Innova, etc baskets, but you need a uniform perimeter at the top of the basket, be it a wrapped bar or band, and Mach IIIs do not have that, just exposed hardware with random deflections that make scoring and rollaways more random.

I am actually surprised that DGA still makes Mach IIIs.

Attachments

• dga_disc_golf_basket_mach_III_t2_basket-500x500.jpg
    dga_disc_golf_basket_mach_III_t2_basket-500x500.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 12
I did not read all the posts on this thread, so maybe somebody already called this out - but Mach IIIs should not be used, the top of the basket has no common band or bar, it has exposed loops that hold the chains, so deflections are random.

I always thought the sacred Delaveaga/Masters Cup was a joke because they had Mach IIIs for so long (have since been replaced with Mach Xs). So if you hit high, you can deflect in a number of different directions and get different rollaways.

Do not get me wrong, I do not like the big yellow chastity belt on Innova, etc baskets, but you need a uniform perimeter at the top of the basket, be it a wrapped bar or band, and Mach IIIs do not have that, just exposed hardware with random deflections that make scoring and rollaways more random.

I am actually surprised that DGA still makes Mach IIIs.

MANY baskets have nubs below the "common band or bar", providing for just as random of deflections. MANY baskets' cages have nubs providing for the same random ricochet. It is the job of the player to put the biscuit in the basket. Don't putt high....or low, or hard. Most players, having been around a plethora of baskets, should have an idea of how the various baskets receive putts. They should be adjusting their putt to maximize success on that particular target.

The Mach 2 has 6 inner chains, so every other gap in the outer 12. So every other gap has a bare spot that you can hit the pole with almost no chains in the way

I love me some Mach 2s. A basket that spits out "good" shots can only improve my chances against competitors of greater skill than my own.

This actually ticks me off. Why isn't the PDGA making one set of basket specifications their preferred choice? Same height, same number of chains, same size catching cage, etc. It is like going to a ball golf course and putting at different size holes from course to course. the current situation is ludicrous. Make a ruling, make it effective for all PDGA sanctioned events. Give a 10 year grace period and then if you don't have official sized baskets by then, you can't hold a sanctioned event. You can still keep your baskets and keep playing them.
Oh yeah, parks departments are going to spend thousands of dollars replacing baskets that are perfectly good 363 days of the year, to bow to the demands of the mighty PDGA who is going to threaten that they won't take sanctioning money for their B-tier if they don't comply.

Yeah, that's really gonna happen, about three Tuesdays after we get video confirmation that pigs are actually flying.

This actually ticks me off. Why isn't the PDGA making one set of basket specifications their preferred choice? Same height, same number of chains, same size catching cage, etc. It is like going to a ball golf course and putting at different size holes from course to course. the current situation is ludicrous. Make a ruling, make it effective for all PDGA sanctioned events. Give a 10 year grace period and then if you don't have official sized baskets by then, you can't hold a sanctioned event. You can still keep your baskets and keep playing them.

You vastly overestimate the power of the PDGA to dictate things like this. This game is too young to stifle innovation that way anyhow...and the baskets out there, like humans, are far more the same than different.

This thread is making me like Mach IIIs even more, if that's possible. However I will temper my love just a bit by saying that for a pitch and putt, city park course where durability and longevity is a big deal, the Mach III could be a good fit. The powder-coating they put on these is really top-notch and makes the course really 'pop'. And they add a little challenge, or character to a course that might lack challenge in elevation and/or distance.

However for a challenging course that is used for big pro events, Mach III probably isn't the best fit and I'd recommend a Mach X, or the new Mach 7 looks really cool, or any of the latest top-of-the line basket from the usual suspects. It really is course dependent, but there are situations where the Mach III is a good fit still.

a5870f3b32db.jpg

This thread is making me like Mach IIIs even more, if that's possible. However I will temper my love just a bit by saying that for a pitch and putt, city park course where durability and longevity is a big deal, the Mach III could be a good fit. The powder-coating they put on these is really top-notch and makes the course really 'pop'. And they add a little challenge, or character to a course that might lack challenge in elevation and/or distance.

However for a challenging course that is used for big pro events, Mach III probably isn't the best fit and I'd recommend a Mach X, or the new Mach 7 looks really cool, or any of the latest top-of-the line basket from the usual suspects. It really is course dependent, but there are situations where the Mach III is a good fit still.

a5870f3b32db.jpg

If you're spending money putting up a course and putting any baskets in besides 3-tier Chainstar Pros or T1 & newer Prodigies, you're hurting your end result.

If you actually spend money on something new without the top chastity belt, you should be removed from decision making positions altogether.