• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Quality Courses

Blue Ribbon Pines is just north of the Twin Cities in MN. (http://blueribbonpines.net/) Haven't palyed it yet but I hear it is incredible. One of the three days of the MN Majestic was held there. One of the other days was held at Highland Ski & Snowboard area that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I have also heard of Highbridge in northern Wisconsin that has four 18 hole courses and one 9 hole course. (http://www.highbridgehillssc.com/)

I think it's a very progressive move to the sport to think that courses could be self-sufficient and operate similar to a ball golf course. Courses that are maintained by enthusiasts of the sport will have all the amenities that players would require and then some. The courses would be designed to offer all the challenges that a quality park course would. Surprisingly there are trees on ball golf courses too. A pro-shop with experienced players and the idea of a course pro offering clinics would be ideal. Some limitations applied to park courses would obviously be waved at professionally run course of this nature. No more leaving at dusk, or having to shamefully sneak in beers, and you wouldn't have to worry about the random picnicer on hole 7. Everyone would be there for the sole purpose of playing and supporting disc golf.

Plus, if they have a beer girl driving around delivering cold suds... that makes the game a million times better! ;)

I get what you are saying about operating like a ball golf course. But if every course were similar to as in layout and manicure, (which is my point) I'm sure I'd quit playing out of boredom. I'll take shot variety with the biggest undergrowth over well manicured snore fest. For example if you took every ballgolf course within my town and the nearest three twons and threw a disc course on them, they would all seem the same, it would be hard to tell them apart.

I thought DG prided it's self on not using as much of water or none to maintain the courses? There goes free as well…

Sorry for the double post. There is no edit. XD

I agree with Asvetic. Just pointing those two things out.

what about SPRING VALLEY... it has all but tee times but il set you one up if you want one just call

Vallarta-Ast Disc Golf Course @ Token Creek County Park fits the bill. It is a pay to play $5 for the day or $40 for a season pass. All the $ goes back into the course. There are 3 basket positions and two tee for each hole. They are planning on expanding the course and adding another 9 baskets. The baskets are rotated on a bi-weekly basis and the grass is always mowed, the baskets are moved so much that there is never a erosion problem under the baskets. When the baskets are in one position, unless you know where the other positions are you'd never even now they where there.

Word on the street is that last year the course pulled in 60K

Idlewild Disc Golf Course in Burlington, Kentucky has not only a wonderful group of volunteers that adopt holes to take care of, but also has a parks employee that is specifically assigned to the course, to mow and maintain.

Idlewild Disc Golf Course in Burlington, Kentucky has not only a wonderful group of volunteers that adopt holes to take care of, but also has a parks employee that is specifically assigned to the course, to mow and maintain.

I'm starting to hear about this more often. I heard of another place where the club members adopt different holes and then have contests to see which holes are maintained the best. Within bounds, of course.

I haven't been to Idlewild in many years. It was still really rough and new when I went. I'm looking forward to going back again though. I think everyone should play it simply out of respect for Fred Salez. He was recently inducted in to the Disc Golf Hall of Fame and he's a really good guy.

http://www.discgolfhalloffame.org/

I played there recently, and I will second that Idlewild is unblievable. You will never have so much fun while getting your a** handed to you by the course.

The maintainence that must go into this place is staggering.

I'll have to get down to Idlewild soon. That's a great idea about "adopt a hole" maintenance. I bet it looks amazing. It's makes one appreciate Flip City in Shelby even MORE knowing EVERYTHING is done by one guy for all 24 holes, which in essence is his backyard. Seems like these two courses are standing up to scrutiny as the top two in the states.

I. For example if you took every ballgolf course within my town and the nearest three twons and threw a disc course on them, they would all seem the same, it would be hard to tell them apart.

I agree with this statement, what qualifies as a very tight regular golf hole would be a pretty open disc golf hole. They definately cannot be held to the same standard in this regard.

However, that doesnt mean that I wouldnt LOVE to see (and be willing to pay to play) a disc golf course that had the same standards of a golf course in terms of landscaping quality.

The course design needs to be different, because the sports are different, but I would be happy to pay greens fees to play a spectacularly cared for course that had amenities, etc.

I agree with this statement, what qualifies as a very tight regular golf hole would be a pretty open disc golf hole. They definately cannot be held to the same standard in this regard.

However, that doesnt mean that I wouldnt LOVE to see (and be willing to pay to play) a disc golf course that had the same standards of a golf course in terms of landscaping quality.

The course design needs to be different, because the sports are different, but I would be happy to pay greens fees to play a spectacularly cared for course that had amenities, etc.

For me, I like a natural setting so I wouldn't want to see landscaping take over in the manner it does with ball golf. When I think of a high quality course I think of places like Beaver Meadows.

Looking worldwide there are two courses in Sweden that can be seen as professionally designed, maintained and operated solely on their own. Järva Discgolf Park in Stockholm and Discgolfterminalen in Skellefteå.
Järva is run by a company and Discgolfterminalen is run by a club.
Both are 27-hole pay to play courses put in areas that has been remaked to be discgolfcourses.

Järva has refined a wild nature/park area which includes cutting out fairways, improve existing grass areas, cleaning the area from litter etc, etc. The course has a ground crew, there is a discgolfshop, a restaurant, driving range, short hole course and practise baskets.

Discgolfterminalen has cut out fairways, improved the ground with better soil since some of the ground was swamp (hundreds of truck loads) sawing new fairways etc. Here you can find a clubhouse, with discgolf shop, cafeteria and also lodging. The course has also a ground crew.

The courses are open all the time, but it is kind of difficult to play through the wintermonths.
Both courses has there own big lawnmovers that cut the grass regularly.

Both courses use the land from the community for free since the land has no higher value and since a recreation opportunity is offered to the community.

The courses are not ball golf style, but discgolf style trying to be better than the ordinary course.
They are also much more environmental friendly than ball golf courses. No watering, no pesticides, no fertilizers, not cutting the whole course every day (maybe just once a week at the most)
Most of the visitors are recreation players but the courses do have layout for the biggest events. Discgolfterminalen was the place for the major Scandinavian Open and Järva Discgolf Park is the place for the Stockholm Discgolf Open.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2338

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2322

Wow.....now I think I want to take a trip to Sweden!
This thread also makes me appreciate my home course a little more now. Ours is at a recreation center, and the agreement is that they do the mowing, which during the summer is close to once a week, and if any storms do take out trees/limbs/etc... then they will remove them. But as far as any course maintanence goes, it is up to us "locals". We have a huge inside recreatin area, and the front desk also sells discs, which brings them in some $$.
This past spring, some of my friends came up with a fantastic idea for our "sping clean-up day". There is a group of mentally challenged adults<the Aktion Club> that get together and do different things. One of the group leaders happened to enjoy disc golf, and learned that we were planning a clean-up day. She asked could the Aktion club be of assistance. Of course we said "yes". We ended up making it a day that neither we nor the club would forget. We started at 9, worked until noon had a picnic lunch <we provided for them>, then got together and played a few holes with them <we gave them putters, and played just the short tees>. Watching them play was inspiring....good shots or bad, they "high 5'd" each other....they were laughing, smiling, just having a great time. It was a win/ win situation when it was all over. We got a LOT of clean-up done in no time....we made some new friends...and both groups had a lot of fun at the same time. If any other clubs out there are looking for others to come out during "clean-up" days...check in your area for groups such as this, it is well worth it!!!

AnhyzerHero, you seem very knowledgeable about both these Swedish courses. i would love to see your reviews for them; what you have to say about how they play.

Well, I mostly work with websites, administration, tournaments, etc regarding discgolf nowadays and hardly ever play, so I believe someone else should make reviews about the courses.

There are not that many Swedes at Disc Golf Course Review yet I believe, hopefully there will be more soon (it´s a great site), but there are also players from other nations that have played the courses, so I guess there will be some reviews soon.

You also might want to check Fly 18 courses. They're DG courses installed along side traditional golf course. Usually quite long and open. Have carts and trad'l golf amenities.

Yep. Fly 18. Disc Golf played on existing ball golf courses with greens and sand traps o.b. Usually an executive par 3 type course like the one here in Dunedin, FL.

Latest posts