• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] High speed disc with a low speed rim?

It's insane that no one has mentioned the Insanity. I have not thrown one yet but I have thrown an Inertia. Very small rim feel IMO and it flat out bombs. Even for me. The Insanity is supposed to be even bombier. Worth a look. Mike C says they have been giving his Quasars a run for their money.

I mentioned it! :p

I said the rim was Sane ;)

Ah yes, I see it now. Except for you said MVP Insanity which is why I must have missed it. I like what you did there though.

I'm really liking it. Not sure it is better than my Terns yet, I definitely have better control with the Terns for anys and throwing uphill.

But the Insanity is easy to throw for similar to slightly better distance. Plus, because I love to flick my Volts. I can swap the Insanity in instead and get a longer, straighter forehand line with comfortable grip and release.

I have small hands, short fingers and the solution for me has been to disc down and use slower speed drivers. With their narrow rims this makes it easy to power grip and control the disc. I was just wondering if there is a disc (from any manufacturer) that combines the distance, speed of say a 13 speed disc but with the narrow rim size of a speed 9 disc? Thx.

You will get more distance with baseline plastic since the surface friction drags more air with the disc, separating the boundary layer (new air being penetrated vs. air already attached) and removing drag off of the tailing edge.

What you will pay for this is simple... a faster stability loss and more frequent replacements. I bag a DX Gazelle because I can thread a needle with it (control) but it ranges out to about an 8.5 speed in premium of the same stability.

A DX Valk bombs.

the discraft xs will get out there and is a smaller rim. the secret weapon from abc also has good distance compared to rim size.

i typically throw saints because much more rim is uncomfortable for me to grip, i have found the renegade to be about the fastest disc i can still hold onto.

Before I got into the faster speed stuff I always felt the wraith had the perfect feel for a fast disc.

Try Escape, Villain, Riot. All are capable of great distance and don't have huge rims at all. The villain will be largest out of the three, the riot's rim feels smaller than it is due to the slanted inner rim.

Also want to add in the MVP Volt. The early runs had a little less overall stability and were more "do it all" but the recent runs are great as well. PDs, Volts, Valks...all good choices.

So I purchased 2 Insanity's. 154g, 174g. Keep in mind I max out about 350-400 with 400 being everything firing correctly. ;) My goto disc the past month or so has been a 167g GStar RoadRunner. Looking at the stats for the RR compared to the IS I knew it was going to be close but I thought the IS would give me something different. After throwing them both with a strong headwind, tailwind, sidewind, etc, the 174g IS offers me nothing new. However, the 154g IS showed a bit more glide with a tailwind compared to the RR so it's going itb as a utility disc for long tailwind drives for now. Will revisit these discs under low wind conditions.

I'm not too surprised to be honest...golf line distance with a similar understable type disc likely won't change all that much. If you want to throw further without upping disc speed or throwing faster (ie. increasing line drive golf distance with all discs), likely the option is to throw high hyzer flip/turnover shots that really glide left to right, or experiment with higher flex shots on stable discs.

I'm in the same 375-400' usual range as you, and I just find that the discs don't make much difference distance wise (line/consistency is different). One day I'll be throwing all my drivers 375, another I'll be throwing them all 400+. Stable, a bit overstable, understable, they all move +/-30' or so together depending on my power that day. As long as you aren't throwing something that's flipping into the ground or so OS it's fading out 40' before your other discs in your power range, I'd say that getting another 30-50' is going to be technique and not magical plastic choice unless you try to get used to a Tern class disc and see if it helps you at all.

Stag (Tournament plastic), PD's, Escapes, and the XS all seem to fly a little faster and longer relative to their rim size.

That's the same conclusion I came to when I thought it out for myself, for what it's worth (hint: not much).

The Valk, Viking, XS, Avenger, and Orion LS all come to mind as discs that are fairly long for being about a speed 9 rim width. Apparently the Thunderbird might fit into that category as well, but I haven't thrown one.

I remember the Inferno being surprisingly long for it's rim width back when it came out, but I don't know what the current state of that mold is.

This is the only post that mentioned the Avenger so I wanted to quote it. Good d for how small the rim is.

this thread confuses me! lol.

"it doesnt matter what your hands look like just throw the disc" - steady eddy the inventer of DG.

I'm not too surprised to be honest...golf line distance with a similar understable type disc likely won't change all that much. If you want to throw further without upping disc speed or throwing faster (ie. increasing line drive golf distance with all discs), likely the option is to throw high hyzer flip/turnover shots that really glide left to right, or experiment with higher flex shots on stable discs.

I'm in the same 375-400' usual range as you, and I just find that the discs don't make much difference distance wise (line/consistency is different). One day I'll be throwing all my drivers 375, another I'll be throwing them all 400+. Stable, a bit overstable, understable, they all move +/-30' or so together depending on my power that day. As long as you aren't throwing something that's flipping into the ground or so OS it's fading out 40' before your other discs in your power range, I'd say that getting another 30-50' is going to be technique and not magical plastic choice unless you try to get used to a Tern class disc and see if it helps you at all.

Perfect, thx for the comments.

I've had a couple of those high anny/flex shots for a bit extra d and they are amazing when done right. I still get some weird oat once in a while causing the disc to flip up too early and fade left. But it's starting to gel... ;)

manufacturers should be listening.
I want more discs like what you describe. Fast speed but narrow rim.

They probably need to focus on a glidey disc but I wish it didn't all have to be on glide.
Maybe make a small rim, overstable blizzard disc??

I've gotten 400' out of a beat Vibram Ascent. That is close to my top distance.

Re the OP - I agree on the Escape.

"I have small hands, short fingers and the solution for me has been to disc down and use slower speed drivers. With their narrow rims this makes it easy to power grip and control the disc. I was just wondering if there is a disc (from any manufacturer) that combines the distance, speed of say a 13 speed disc but with the narrow rim size of a speed 9 disc? Thx."

Just revisiting this thread to see if there's been any progress in 3 years since the op. Thx.