• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Speed Video - Form Critique

theeterrbear

Par Member
Hey everybody, I've been waiting to be healthy enough to actually throw in order to record some high speed video of my driving form, and that time has finally come!

The biggest thing that stands out to me is the high backswing. It creates a scooping motion that causes air-bounces occasionally and moreso I feel it makes it harder to control wrist angle. I was thinking that Sidewinder's "door frame drill" would be a good drill to reinforce a lower backswing. It is also mentioned in those videos to essentially lead with the butt, and I think this is also an area that could use a lot of improvement.

I would love to get some input and hear your guys' thoughts and opinions and critiques!

Also, I've got a couple more videos that require editing that were shot at 240fps but at the price of 480p resolution. I plan on continuing to post videos for critique with the end goal being informational breakdowns in the videos as I get more familiar with editing (and as my form improves!).

Last edited:
Nice video. You are correct...you are still on the rear leg when you throw. Watch how these guys don't move the disc in the backswing as they pivot their body back, where you are moving the disc back earlier and then dragging the disc forward before the start of the throw robbing acceleration and rhythm. You also have your rear heel on the ground with your weight behind it, where the pros never let the rear heel touch the ground and have completely left the ground from the rear toes before the whip.

Thanks for the input!

I see what you mean. Focusing on not setting my rear heel down while doing some slow dry motions feels completely different. The feeling is kind of bouncy and overall much more light-footed. Overall, most of the motions (that I noticed) seem to fall into place more readily and the backswing naturally occurs instead of being a conscious effort, and it bounces back from the apex instead of my arm initiating it with a pull.

It also forces my front foot to not turn so far back, which is something that I've been struggling to eliminate. My front foot comes down and is basically perpendicular to the trajectory of the disc and it shows because my toes point directly at the camera before any pivoting. In both of the videos you provided their front foot kind of leads the throw and appears to waste less energy.

I'm going to give my shoulder another day or two to recover (tendonitis isn't fun) and try to get another video up, hopefully displaying the change. I'll also aim to get a rear facing angle as well to see if I'm pulling the disc radially at all or if it's staying on a clean line.

Last edited: