• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Home course saga thread

Been playing quite a bit- when it's not snowing with hurricane winds, that is. I keep messing with different layouts, orders and such and it's been fun to think about. The wife wanted me to move a basket so she can 'do ace runs off the deck while we grill" God, I love that woman haha.

I have a ton of respect for this. When I got into disc golf I had been SO hoping my wife would join me. But its a life journey, its still possible.

This is a good thread for me. I have a third/quarter acre with some woods that I want to put baskets on. I'm not certain how many yet. I need to go out and look for lines. My short game is my biggest weakness so a midrange course would be the best for me and it leaves the door open for my wife to get into it. My fundage is rather low so it will be a slow progress. I will start with 2 or 3 baskets and go from there. I may need to hit up the local DG group to get some suggestions.

I have a ton of respect for this. When I got into disc golf I had been SO hoping my wife would join me. But its a life journey, its still possible.

Thank you, I really appreciate that and we are very much the same-she does like DG but life is indeed hard and that was honestly most of my motivation in building a home course. It is SO hard to find time to play anywhere (especially now), and even if the stars align we have a 13 month old son so it's only one of us. Not exactly having fun together... Now though, when we lay him down for a nap we bring the baby monitor, grab some putters and bring the dog out for some zoomies. She loves being outdoors and it's really given her an outlet too, she's loving having some fun recreation literally right outside our door.

So in many ways all that work really enabled this ability to truly enjoy our home in a way we never had before, and it has absolutely brightened our days since it's completion. While she's home and not working during virus lockdown 2020 it's led to her enjoying disc golf WAY more, because instead of being a wedge that inherently separated us in order to go enjoy it, now we can do it whenever we feel like it and with zero hassle. The putter station is right in our mud room on the way out, just grab and go!

I simply can't overstate the positive effects of building a course at home- even if it's a small one! It was well worth all that effort, and now that she's fully onboard, we're already talking about small tee boxes, more dirt work and a ton more cleanup on basically every inch of the land we own to finish getting the whole place dialed. Our property looks awesome and that certainly isn't gong to hurt valuation either. It's addictive and it's fun and it's beneficial to your property and it's good for the whole family. Highly advised!

This is a good thread for me. I have a third/quarter acre with some woods that I want to put baskets on. I'm not certain how many yet. I need to go out and look for lines. My short game is my biggest weakness so a midrange course would be the best for me and it leaves the door open for my wife to get into it. My fundage is rather low so it will be a slow progress. I will start with 2 or 3 baskets and go from there. I may need to hit up the local DG group to get some suggestions.

Doesn't cost anything to clean the place up in your spare time. Once it's stripped out a little, the lines will be obvious. Even shorter 100-130' throws can be really challenging if there are shapes and angles involved, and one basket can be thrown at an infinite number of ways! :hfive:

Then a Titanic and my 166 #2 Upshot in Prostyle for uphill/downhill putts, I am not using 2 Titanic's. I do not know the speeds of Lighting discs, unfortunately they are not labeled with speeds but this is a XD/Colt type putter with big bead so it fits. Also get and use a Lighting Rubber putter at 174-175 for Long long putts, also a Areo/Dart style putter so it fits the criteria. :|

I would bring all my discs for other long courses in the area if there are any.

Bah, I let the wife throw her 150g shark, the "rule" (and we use those terms loosely) is really just to keep the overzealous high speed driver throwers in my friend group from shattering my big A-Frame windows with a boozed-up shank, etc. Most guys who can throw even ok won't need anything over a speed 3 anyways, even my comets and buzzzes tend to go too far and inspire you to throw too hard IMO, and that's just not what the course design is about. So yeah, in your fantasy feel free to putt with whatever you want. Break out an all-shark bag if it makes you happy! :thmbup:

dangerous assumptions! never accuse a man from South Dakota of throwing two titanics

I just think why two full on putting putters when my #2 Upshot 166 grams was used as a driving putter at one point as well as the uphill and downhill putting that I still use the disc for. Then a Rubber putter for very very long neutral approaches or I might use get a new R-Pro Hydra to use in the OS Slot same spot I use the Shark now. I have yet to decide. I could use a Magnet but the DGA Titanic in Proline is nearly the same disc and more durable then the Magnet molds

the Zone could not be used by anybody as of 2019, sure it is a putter but Discraft changed the mold to a speed 4 putter disc rather then the speed 3 it was before, so you would have to settle for a Harp then by Westside or an Innova Rhyno/Pig or Latitude 64 Sinus for such a OS putter approach disc.

I also did not see the rule of speed of disc, or I would have not posted the wrong discs initially, Yes I use a Star Shark as a driving putter/approach disc for main use of mold with wind the other use.

Made a mess again. Had nice weather so I got out the chainsaw and dropped a half dozen smaller dead trees, cut out a huge dead topper that's been jammed up in some other trees, dropped two of the big view trees and spent almost two hours pole sawing branches and bucking up existing deadfall too big to move.

Can't wait to get those view fatties bucked up and rolled away, the next batch I drop will really open things up.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71372&stc=1&d=1587868594

Attachments

• D34CDFB1-173B-4E2E-80E1-61E01DCE63DE.jpg
    D34CDFB1-173B-4E2E-80E1-61E01DCE63DE.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 33
Bah, I let the wife throw her 150g shark, the "rule" (and we use those terms loosely) is really just to keep the overzealous high speed driver throwers in my friend group from shattering my big A-Frame windows with a boozed-up shank, etc. Most guys who can throw even ok won't need anything over a speed 3 anyways, even my comets and buzzzes tend to go too far and inspire you to throw too hard IMO, and that's just not what the course design is about. So yeah, in your fantasy feel free to putt with whatever you want. Break out an all-shark bag if it makes you happy! :thmbup:

Putter only for the adult males is an awesome rule. I've really been noticing how I can outdrive people, then still lose because my short game is lacking. This would force me to become more versatile in the short game. And I also have some big picture windows that wouldn't be cheap to replace. I would love to have to buy a variety pack of putters and and actually learn how to use them:hfive:

Putter only for the adult males is an awesome rule. I've really been noticing how I can outdrive people, then still lose because my short game is lacking. This would force me to become more versatile in the short game. And I also have some big picture windows that wouldn't be cheap to replace. I would love to have to buy a variety pack of putters and and actually learn how to use them:hfive:

I have two friends in particular who are always throwing thumbers and tomahawks with higher speed discs and it was what immediately concerned me, hence the putters only "rule" but yeah, kids and ladies can absolutely throw whatever makes them happy. It's all about having a good time, staying safe and being outside with the family.

I am absolutely convinced my approach and short game is what's holding me back in most cases. Just repeatable form and truly knowing how to work and control my discs inside 200' was my biggest personal DG goal with the course. I've already noticed a big uptick in my ability to accurately shape a shot and work my bounce without having to throw super hard since I've been doing it at home so much almost every day. The familiarity/confidence factor is also making strides, as the putts are just feeling very fluid lately.

Someday I want to order a stack of outlandishly swirly wizards from Dom and have him do a custom hot stamp for my course once I can come up with a cool name. I fell like having official course loaners would be a really nice touch.

Well, I just returned an email from an editor at UDisc. They posted an article about home courses and I responded with a pic from mine. They sent me a message asking a bunch of questions and I did my best to answer and give them some decent pics. So my little home course might be internet famous for like 7.32 seconds- don't blink! Lol

Someday I want to order a stack of outlandishly swirly wizards from Dom and have him do a custom hot stamp for my course once I can come up with a cool name. I fell like having official course loaners would be a really nice touch.

:thmbup:

dude! fundraiser discs for your course! i'd buy at least one

Dropped and bucked up another half dozen trees in the view zone this weekend after playing a few rounds with the ol lady. You can start to see the ridgeline out there! Also I don't think I mentioned this view faces the sunset, and we get some doozies. I'm out on the deck sipping a beer and grilling right now!

I still have a bunch to do to finish opening it up obviously, but lots to clean up in between so it feels like it's going slow. I'm using a lot of the bigger lumber to build some cool furniture for the fire pit out back so I don't have to roll it far and it'll last forever.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71435&stc=1&d=1588546258

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71436&stc=1&d=1588546359

Attachments

• A907A3CE-AD44-4DA8-AE2E-3DC750291A39.jpg
    A907A3CE-AD44-4DA8-AE2E-3DC750291A39.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 41
  • ABC44E91-17B3-42F6-A866-160325F6723E.jpg
    ABC44E91-17B3-42F6-A866-160325F6723E.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 40
Looks great!! That first line looks like one I could hit!!

So jealous you have all this right on your property, keep working hard, it will payoff forever!!

:clap::hfive:

Looks great!! That first line looks like one I could hit!!

So jealous you have all this right on your property, keep working hard, it will payoff forever!!

:clap::hfive:

Thanks man, it's a lot of fun!

Very nice, DoWork. Putter courses are such a blast, and having one right outside your door is as good as it gets!

Well, other than having to maintain it yourself . . . :D

So the course has been good for me, but it's been great for the wife. She's been out there almost every day dragging sticks and throwing plastic and today for the first time I stayed home after work with the baby while she & her gf went to play disc golf together. I'm so proud of her, she's doing great and is finally enjoying the game the way she previously made fun of me for doing.

I bought her some discs over the spring and gave her a bunch of stuff to try today, now with more feedback I'm ready to get her some more to fill out her small bag a little better for her. I swear tho, the first time she's excited to pull a disc out of the mailbox I'm going to faint with pride haha

This just in...

My wife just bought me 3 baskets for my birthday! And we've spent a lot of time this summer clearing our woods. Now I need to look for lines. It would be great if I could come up with 3 approach shots per basket.

I was thinking I had a year or 2 before this happened but here we go!