• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade Basket: Chain alternatives?

theo886

Hey guys, I'm almost done with my homemade disc golf basket, all i have left is to get some chains on there. Unfortunately as a poor college student, I don't have the $60 to drop on a set of chains.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with with some sort of alternative. I was thinking maybe some thick rope with metal washers and random weights attached.

I know most of you are gonna say that it's worth dropping the extra cash on some chains, but its just not an option right now. I've spent zero dollars so far and I don't plan to start.

Plenty of crap works (extension cord, bungees, rope, etc), but you need to have that ching sound. Some people use bells, but I like chain. Chain is usually too difficult to source for free or a good price.

:hfive:HERE IS A SUPER TIP::hfive:

Buy some trapping chain from ebay - its 40 bucks shipped for 100' - I can't find anywhere to touch that price.

Resetting them after every putt would be a bit of a hassle! ;):clap:

But it would be sooo worth it to sink an awesome 60 footer and see a barrel full o' monkeys go scattering all willy nilly. :D

I've seen old water hose used instead of chain. And that rope with weights sounds like something that might work OK. Anything you can get free is worth a try until you get cash. But if I was gonna spend any money, I would buy the chain that is on the baskets at your course. You could buy the outer chains and add the inner chains later.

Some sort of netting might work, such as that used to protect gardens. Like one of Innova's portables, it slows the disc and prevents cut-throughs. Perhaps in conjunction with heavy rope or old garden hose.

When I built a basket using chain I remember that the plastic coated knotted chain was about half the price of the #2 plated chain. Other then that I would just say some thick rope.

When I built a basket using chain I remember that the plastic coated knotted chain was about half the price of the #2 plated chain. Other then that I would just say some thick rope.

Does that also mean it's less noisy? I don't have a house/yard but I've always wondered if there's a desire for chains that don't make much noise when your neighbors are real close.

Chains are the only thing I still need to finish 8 homemade baskets. I want the ching sound and a good quality chain too. Looks like I won't be able to buy new plastic for a while because those nice chains are expen$ive.

We added the inner row to our Instep using plastic chain. It's working just fine.

I did realize one thing when I built my basket using a PVC pole instead on metal, even with chains it was a ton quieter. More noise then you think comes from the chains hitting the pole. I would assume with a plastic coated chain it would deafen the noise as well.

The no noise alternative is to make a PVC target and hang a towel from it. This is mine and it cost me about $20. A perfect hit will get wrapped up in the towel and drop straight below the legs.

Attachments

• DSC03327.JPG
    DSC03327.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 41
I did realize one thing when I built my basket using a PVC pole instead on metal, even with chains it was a ton quieter.

That's a really good point. I'm hoping to buy a home soon (upgrade from apartment-style condo) and would love to have a basket I won't annoy neighbors with.

I've always found DB-5's to have the loudest ching sound of any basket and it's because of the big rung at the bottom hitting the pole so that's a great point about using PVC for the center.

Thanks for that and I certainly didn't want to pull this thread in the wrong direction.

Thanks for the tips guys, for now I'm gonna look around and see what i can get for free. Cant wait till i have some money over the summer and can get a good set of chains.
I'll let you know how it goes

Latest posts