• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade Carts

That is an awesome cart. Well done.

Sorry about Heyco. Didn't know they won't sell direct. I needed some parts for a project and they sent me samples for free. It was enough to do what I needed.

I'll throw out one more suggestion and sorry in advance of its not of any use to you. Igus.com

Again really awesome design

Really nice design -- maybe some type of fenders to protect the wheels from rubbing against the drink holders?

Really nice design -- maybe some type of fenders to protect the wheels from rubbing against the drink holders?

I decided against fenders. I put in a gap of about 2 inches between the inside of the wheels and the drink holders. If mud ends up being too much of a problem, I can add some SS fenders later.

The only thing I haven't settled on yet is how to carry towels.

I used to have a BMX bike with a 1" headtube that used Star Nuts just like the ones you posted.

313%2BvvSN%2B5L.jpg

russell-athletics-football-hand-towel.jpg

I'm pretty sure a 1-1/8" steerer tube on a mountain bike fork has a 1" ID. Maybe this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Aheadset-Star-Nut-Steerer-8in/dp/B001AYMJJA

After seeing the "star nut" comment above, and trying a 1" star nut that I got from a local bike shop (it was too small), I ordered some of the 1-1/8" ones. I'll see how they work when they arrive. I figured out the towel holder and have a threaded cap insert for the handle that I am going to attach a phone holder to. Oh, and my wife made me change the handle color to black. The only other possible modification is adjustable feet to help keep the legs from sinking in mud.

No need to buy when you can make something that nice.

Keep up the good work.

I decided against fenders. I put in a gap of about 2 inches between the inside of the wheels and the drink holders. If mud ends up being too much of a problem, I can add some SS fenders later.

The only thing I haven't settled on yet is how to carry towels.

As far as the fenders, the reason I suggested them was because I wasn't sure how securely the bag is attached to the cart. On bumpy, hilly terrain it could shift side to side if not really secured, possibly causing rubbing against the tires. The cart looks amazing, even the paint job -- looks like powder coating.

As far as the fenders, the reason I suggested them was because I wasn't sure how securely the bag is attached to the cart. On bumpy, hilly terrain it could shift side to side if not really secured, possibly causing rubbing against the tires. The cart looks amazing, even the paint job -- looks like powder coating.

The bag is held in place by the feet of the backpack fitting into the holes on the support plate. After a round of "testing," I have found that the only time that the bag shifts is if I drop the handle (which happens when the wheel hits my foot on the back of a stride. Still the backpack didn't move far enought touch the wheels.

After the round, I discovered that I needed to extend the handle and make it a "T" instead of the asymmetric "7" that is was until about an hour ago. This makes it easier to change hands and extending the handle was necessary because of the length of my stride, especially when going uphill.

The star nuts just won't work. Even the 1-1/8" ones are too small. Back to the drawing board on threaded inserts.

I think you could make some nice, color matching, fenders out of the bottom/side of a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket

Sorry about the star fangled nut.

They do make 1.5" star nuts.

I found some on jensenusa.

Was the first link when googling Star nuts.

Otherwise have you considered bar end caps for handlebars? Bicycle ones might be too small, perhaps from a motorcycle?

Last edited:
I think you could make some nice, color matching, fenders out of the bottom/side of a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket

I'm trying to make it durable. One of the goals I strive for is to make stuff that will outlast me. I can't think of a durable way to attach plastic bucket fenders that would be any easier than making my own fenders out of stainless steel sheet. Heck, it would be easier to cut the stainless than the bucket.

Sorry about the star fangled nut.

They do make 1.5" star nuts.

I found some on jensenusa.

Was the first link when googling Star nuts.

Otherwise have you considered bar end caps for handlebars? Bicycle ones might be too small, perhaps from a motorcycle?

No apologies necessary. Star nuts can be purchased in bulk in the right size, but I don't need 1,000 of them. The real problem is that the readily available ones are marketed and sold without the necessary size information for me, i.e., they don't tell you the diameter of the star nut, only the OD of the tube that they fit (which is the most irrelevant measurement imaginable for my needs). Star nuts for 1-1/4 tube would probably work. Star nuts for 1-1/2 tube would probably be too big. Of course, I won't know without actually trying them because I have no way of knowing the dimensions of the nut itself.

Anyway, I have some 27mm threaded inserts on the way that should do the trick. They just won't allow the clean look that I was going for becase they have an integrated, beveled cap.

I'm trying to make it durable. One of the goals I strive for is to make stuff that will outlast me. I can't think of a durable way to attach plastic bucket fenders that would be any easier than making my own fenders out of stainless steel sheet. Heck, it would be easier to cut the stainless than the bucket.

i am pretty sure you dont understand what i am talking about.
i had a long winded explanation about how to make them, how the plastic would out last most anything, and be lighter than ss.
but its too much typing
but thats ok cool cart anyway

i am pretty sure you dont understand what i am talking about.
i had a long winded explanation about how to make them, how the plastic would out last most anything, and be lighter than ss.
but its too much typing
but thats ok cool cart anyway

Thanks, but why do you think the plastic would either be appreciably lighter or last longer than the stainless?