• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bye Bye, Cart Project

mike3216

Bogey Member
I want a cart. The Dynamic Discs cart is my choice, but I'd have to buy a bag to go with it, and I just won't throw that kind of money down. So, I have been looking for something to build into a decent cart. As a side hustle, I buy and sell a lot on Ebay, and I pass through at least 10 thrift shops a week looking for stuff. Yesterday I saw a aluminum wheelchair for $15, and I took a second look. A wheelchair wouldn't usually catch my eye, but this one weighed next to nothing, folded flat, and I thought it might be an ideal basis for a killer cart. I popped the wheels off to put it into my car, and I realized that the frame was freakishly light. I took a closer look at it, and it was all titanium tubing. A little research showed me that it was worth about $500 on Ebay. I truly have mixed feelings about this. I'm committed to not paying $300+ for a cart setup, and once I sell the wheelchair, that money moves into a pool of money that is earmarked for other purposes. And I still don't get a cart :gross:

I was also looking forward to the project.

Sometimes I miss being young. When I was in my 20s, it would have taken me about two minutes to sell that wheelchair, turn around, and drop most of my profits on a brand new cart.

RidgeRoller.com cart and a backpack you can sit on in or out of the cart. check it out preorder is live

So you were fine paying $15 for cart parts, but you're not okay paying $15 for a new production cart? Isn't that basically what you're saying?

At some point, it's ok to splurge on yourself.

For one instance, don't think of it as lost profit, think of it as a gain in your life when you get that cart/bag.

It depends where you play. There's several courses in my area that the strollers don't get around nearly as well as the dedicated DG carts.

When the day comes that I can no longer carry my bag, I'll probably quit playing.

Those 3-wheel jogging strollers have a great frame for DIY carts, they go anywhere and are collapsible. I was hoping to re-purpose ours now that the kids are bigger but my sister just announced they are having twins and asked for it.

Yeah I hear you. I specifically got a Grip because it's I like the way it sits higher up than a tourney bag with quad shocks. I feel noticeably better late on multi-round days. And there's something about feeling your best during a tournament...

But I bet carrying your bag wouldn't take so much out of you if you just left your purse in the car. :p

When the day comes that I can no longer carry my bag, I'll probably quit playing.

I did that. Basically quit for 7 years, other than a few holes once in a while. I needed to find some kind of hobby, my son out grew his stroller and I put my bag on it. Unfortunately, it looks like a may be quitting playing again, as even leaning on the stroller, I can barely handle the joint pain of 1 round on flat ground.

If you want the DIY project, just build a cart out of the wheelchair like you intended before you realized it's worth so much. It's just money.

OP mentioned it's worth $500 on ebay. Is that as a wheel chair, or the scrap value of the titanium?

IF it's scrap value, and you don't really need the money now, convert it and use it until you no longer want to, then sell it. I don't track the scrap value titanium, but something tells me 2-5 years from now, it won't be worth less than it is today.

Plus there's the coolness factor of saying you made your cart out of titanium..
Would carrying only Ti plastic enhance cool factor? :confused:

I did that. Basically quit for 7 years, other than a few holes once in a while. I needed to find some kind of hobby, my son out grew his stroller and I put my bag on it. Unfortunately, it looks like a may be quitting playing again, as even leaning on the stroller, I can barely handle the joint pain of 1 round on flat ground.
Sorry to hear that.