• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hosting

jmackie

Bogey Member
We have a new 9 hole course in our small S TX town and there has been some discussion about hosting a tournament. How does one start about organizing one, does it take a Disc manufacturer sponsorship?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm new to the site (sounded like a good excuse to me :)

Are you talking about a mini, a pdga sanctioned tournament, or what?

I think the main thing you need to do is get permission from the city to hold the tournament. Then you can do whatever you want, unless the city requires you to have insurance. If there is a local club for that course that already has a relationship with the city, and an insurance policy, you can go through them. Otherwise, PDGA sanctioning is probably the best way to get the insurance. If you want the rounds to be rated by the PDGA, you will need to add at least 4 temp holes, because round ratings will not be calculated for layouts of less than 13 holes.

So basically, if there is already a local club, talk to them. Otherwise, talk to parks and rec.

You really want to hook up with someone who's run a tournament elsewhere.....if that fails, with someone who's played a lot of tournaments.

After that, as JenB says, two of the first steps are deciding what kind of tournament you want to host, and getting permission from the park.

Whether you sanction it or not, the PDGA website has some checklists for TDs which will be of great help.

.....and, no, it does not take a disc manufacturer sponsorship.

Just got done with 18 (9+9) and now not only am I a beginner I'm officially a lumberjack! :)

Just read about the Vibram birdie bash, that may be a good way to get started hosting.

The Vibram Birdie Bash and Discraft Ace Race are good ways to run a first event as TD. Vibram and Discraft do a lot of the work for you, particularly Vibram. They help you promote it, give you trophies and what all. It's not a regular tourney in that the format is weird, but they're a good place to start is running a first event. We had a pretty good turn out at a smaller local course at the AR, we'll be doing a BB at a different local course.

Last year was my first time running anything. I ran 5 events for Iowa park Texas and to me vibram made it the easiest.

At Jeremy. Guess I should of not posted that birdie bash flier until after registration ended lol.

I saw one posted on the Cleburne page. We'd been working on ours at that point, but hadn't announced it yet because were waiting on the city to give the official ok. We're mainly just waiting on the confirmation of the date.

We've had some locals think of going to yours to go to a different course. I don't know if any of the regulars down here have played anything up that way. We had a big turn out at the ace race with lots of other events in the area, so I think there's enough players to go around. :)

I saw one posted on the Cleburne page. We'd been working on ours at that point, but hadn't announced it yet because were waiting on the city to give the official ok. We're mainly just waiting on the confirmation of the date.

We've had some locals think of going to yours to go to a different course. I don't know if any of the regulars down here have played anything up that way. We had a big turn out at the ace race with lots of other events in the area, so I think there's enough players to go around. :)

Oh I know. I was giving you a hard time. It's 3 hrs between so I know it would be hard for people to make it that far. I played the amigo ace race so I know y'all have a healthy following down there.

We just got the formal ok from the city to use Carver Park in Keene, so we're a go for our birdie bash. It's the first official event at the course. It's a small 9 holer, but it works well for the VBB setup.

Latest posts