• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Houston, we have a problem...

Yeah brother, we know you had a choice of many colors, but you went for the pink one. LOL ;) What kind of ball is it?

Sounds like a teeball.

I've got a regular baseball drilled through with a rope attached. I never had to use it until I showed it to some guys before a random draw doubles weekly. I got one stuck on the first hole that day :rolleyes:

They make a slingshot that shoots tennis balls for dogs. I've never tried it but a tennis ball would be a lot easier to find than marbles, etc and there's no way it'll ding your discs. They sell them at big pet store chains I think.

They make a slingshot that shoots tennis balls for dogs. I've never tried it but a tennis ball would be a lot easier to find than marbles, etc and there's no way it'll ding your discs. They sell them at big pet store chains I think.

Got to looking after this post and found this.

http://www.activedogtoys.com/mini_launcher.html

Looks like it would work, but shipping is as much as the slingshot. I'll have to look to see if I can find it at a local store.

It doesn't look like it folds up either. That might make it a bit annoying to carry.

Looks like it would work, but shipping is as much as the slingshot. I'll have to look to see if I can find it at a local store.

It doesn't look like it folds up either. That might make it a bit annoying to carry.

I wonder if a regular slingshot would fire those mini tennis balls.

I would suggest getting a friend that is willing to do anything. I always bring one to the course to climb trees and jump fences. He is also fun to get drunk.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'd just keep it in the trunk, it's not like your treed disc is going anywhere in the mean time.

here are some good ideas i've heard/used:

full nalgene bottle

I as well. It works great if you don't mind dinging it up a little bit.

has anyone ever been dumb enough to throw another disc at a stuck disc and get that one stuck as well. I have.....LMAO

Sadly, yes. I ended up climbing an extra 10 feet because of it.

WTF is a "hedgeball"???

It is a fruit (not one that you eat) from a tree. They're about the size of a softball. I've only seen them in southern Iowa. I'm not sure where else they grow.

I'm going to begin carrying baseballs or the lacrosse ball on a string.

I just carry a bright pink Soft Ball that I got at Walmart. Its a little softer than a regular soft ball and easy to see because its pink.

You could use boiled eggs. The impact would help crack the shell and then you could have a high protien snack.

Another brilliant idea would be to carry some filled water balloons to throw at the stuck discs. You could cool down and retrieve your disc at the same time.

Or if you're into recycling you could make a double barrelled tennis ball slingshot out of one of your wifes old bra's.

Go to an old library, or cheap school and steal all the balls out of the mice :)

I guess i never thought about my disc gettn stuck in a tree. If it does ill be standing at the bottom woundering how im gonna get it down.

I'd try gettn marbles, only thing i can think of

I carry a tennis ball and baseball in my bag. I usually only use the baseball for knocking discs down (the tennis ball gets stuck in the tree too easily, and then my dog's annoyed that I don't have anything for her to play with), and it usually works pretty well. I also don't mind climbing trees, so if it seems like that'll be quicker, I just climb. I've also played a couple courses that have 20 ft. poles near groups of trees that tend to eat discs, and this comes in really handy.

To the original question, I've seen slingshots used with small smooth rocks (found on the course) or small pinecones, and never seen them do damage to a disc. They do seem to be a pretty good way of getting a disc down if you're accurate with it.

Reusable Dense Foam Paintballs

I gave up on trying to make my own. Found these at Academy in a pack of 100 for $20. Looks like they are heavy enough to fly straight with enough force to knock a disc down. Ended up buying 30 from an ebay store for $7.50 including shipping. You could probably buy fewer if you have a local paintball store.

xp9458a.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Reusable-Den...id=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293:1|294:30

I hope I never need 30 of them. :eek: I can always use the extras to practice my aim on my friends. :D

I'll post again once I get them and have time to try them out.

EDIT: Added the pic.

Last edited:
instead of launching small things at it why not the bottom piece of a screw together pool cue. it is heavy enough that it would not be traveling very fast by the time it reached the disc but would dislodge it easily if you could make just a little contact. you might be able to find a cheap wal-mart special. the ones that are brassy looking and have that round ball at the bottom that you accidentally are always clanging on the floor. or maybe a Baton?

I gave up on trying to make my own. Found these at Academy in a pack of 100 for $20. Looks like they are heavy enough to fly straight with enough force to knock a disc down. Ended up buying 30 from an ebay store for $7.50 including shipping. You could probably buy fewer if you have a local paintball store.

xp9458a.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Reusable-Dense-Foam-Paintballs-3-tubes-caps-NEW-FS_W0QQitemZ170352588814QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a9ce380e&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293%3A1|294%3A30

I hope I never need 30 of them. :eek: I can always use the extras to practice my aim on my friends. :D

I'll post again once I get them and have time to try them out.

EDIT: Added the pic.

It'll be interesting to see if they are heavy enough to actually dislodge a disc that's pretty stuck.

I tend to find baseballs and softballs when I play dg near ball fields. They come in handy, used them several times on 14 at O.T. Sloan in Sanford, NC.