• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How can I repel Ticks?

RPS2012

Double Eagle Member
I tried looking through the many pages on here and I couldn't find anything about ticks =/

I am going to be playing in a tourney where the course is known to have lots of ticks. What is my best defense to try and keep them off of me?

I tried looking through the many pages on here and I couldn't find anything about ticks =/

I am going to be playing in a tourney where the course is known to have lots of ticks. What is my best defense to try and keep them off of me?
Wear light colored clothing so you can see them. Don't stand in any place for long keep moving around. Deep woods off and what not repels ticks. There are a ton of home remedy type things to do also. Search home remedies for ticks.

Clothing is your best defense. Tall socks, long pants and sleeves to keep them off your skin.

Make sure to do a thorough tick check afterwards too. As long as you get them off you quickly (within 24 hours) they're pretty harmless.

Definitely long socks. Even with shorts. Something colorful so you can see them right away.

DEET. Put it on your ankles/shoes.

permethrin.

:thmbup:

You can buy it from Walmart for $10 and it treats two full outfits. Highly recommend it. I treated my pants, 2 pairs of socks, shirt and bag. I still have a bit left over to treat my pants and shirt again. Works great!

I've spend a lot of time in tick country...I've been covered in them 3-4 time (hundreds of babies, nymphs, adults, 3 different species) since I like to hike where there are no trails (especially in FL, though have gotten them bad in AR and MI as well).

DEET does not repel ticks. Not if they are hungry enough...not even 98% stuff that turns your skin red. In fact, nothing repels hungry ticks except layers of clothing they can't go through (the babies can go through the stitching in socks). I've read stuff to the contrary, but I've gotten covered with ticks with many sprays on my skin/clothing...A hungry tick doesn't give a ****.

Wear light clothing and BRIEFS with elastic on both legs (usually enough to stop nymphs/adults from going any further). A couple tick facts to remember as well...It usually takes them a while to find a spot to bite. Feel/see them and get rid of them before they have a chance. Only females bite, though you may have males on you if you have females on you (just trying to get some action).

Deer tick carry the most serious diseases. Fortunately they are slow to attach, and need a minimum of 24-48 hrs of attachment to transmit disease. The babies, which are almost impossible to defense against, luckily do not carry disease. Ticks must get disease from other mammals (usually rodents). This is why in areas like FL, where ticks bite lizards/snakes, there is little to no Lyme disease.

All great suggestions here.

Except the wet suit.

Keep moving. Don't hang out in tall grass.

Ticks arearen't too bad here. I'll say this.. I'd rather have a tick on my eyeball then chiggers.

:thmbup:

You can buy it from Walmart for $10 and it treats two full outfits. Highly recommend it. I treated my pants, 2 pairs of socks, shirt and bag. I still have a bit left over to treat my pants and shirt again. Works great!

Imma try finding it at walmart 2day and hopefully it will work

Permetherin is hazardous to some household pets, if I remember correctly. Make sure you do your research first.

Personally, I use deet (25% usually, 99% if things get serious) PRIOR to a round. Prevention vs. reaction to ticks is key. Once bugs are out in the summer, I'm deeting up before every round no exceptions.

Personally, pants are out of the question once temperatures hit the low 60s, and I've never had any tick problems while wearing shorts. In fact, I find it easier to locate the little buggers while wearing shorts.

A pair of long white socks (while not the greatest of fashion statements) helps make them visible before they can manage to get to your legs.

Finally, the best method for never getting bit by a tick is being paranoid as ****. I check my socks, shoes, and legs almost every single time I come out of the tall grass or brush. I just make it a habit, and now it's second nature.

Permetherin is hazardous to some household pets, if I remember correctly. Make sure you do your research first.

Personally, I use deet (25% usually, 99% if things get serious) PRIOR to a round. Prevention vs. reaction to ticks is key. Once bugs are out in the summer, I'm deeting up before every round no exceptions.

Personally, pants are out of the question once temperatures hit the low 60s, and I've never had any tick problems while wearing shorts. In fact, I find it easier to locate the little buggers while wearing shorts.

A pair of long white socks (while not the greatest of fashion statements) helps make them visible before they can manage to get to your legs.

Finally, the best method for never getting bit by a tick is being paranoid as ****. I check my socks, shoes, and legs almost every single time I come out of the tall grass or brush. I just make it a habit, and now it's second nature.

Im definately gonna bring out the tube socks for the tourney!

I've spend a lot of time in tick country...I've been covered in them 3-4 time (hundreds of babies, nymphs, adults, 3 different species) since I like to hike where there are no trails (especially in FL, though have gotten them bad in AR and MI as well).

DEET does not repel ticks. Not if they are hungry enough...not even 98% stuff that turns your skin red. In fact, nothing repels hungry ticks except layers of clothing they can't go through (the babies can go through the stitching in socks). I've read stuff to the contrary, but I've gotten covered with ticks with many sprays on my skin/clothing...A hungry tick doesn't give a ****.

Wear light clothing and BRIEFS with elastic on both legs (usually enough to stop nymphs/adults from going any further). A couple tick facts to remember as well...It usually takes them a while to find a spot to bite. Feel/see them and get rid of them before they have a chance. Only females bite, though you may have males on you if you have females on you (just trying to get some action).

Deer tick carry the most serious diseases. Fortunately they are slow to attach, and need a minimum of 24-48 hrs of attachment to transmit disease. The babies, which are almost impossible to defense against, luckily do not carry disease. Ticks must get disease from other mammals (usually rodents). This is why in areas like FL, where ticks bite lizards/snakes, there is little to no Lyme disease.

Good Post :thmbup:

Ryan, this has been discussed on here a handful of times... But I also suggest Permethrin. Stuff really helps but like people have mentioned before on here, It's toxic to cats in wet form.

spray/soak your shoes and clothes the night before and as soon as you come out of a bushes check yourself. People always think i'm weird checking myself every hole but i'd rather be a bit paranoid than complacent.

I NEVER use deet/repellents on my skin... No way those are good for you.
Just using the permethrin on my clothes has been good enough for me :) And I have a cat at home who will rub against my disc golf bag that I sprayed with the stuff. And He's been fine. Just make sure you let it dry off.

Last edited:
Good Post :thmbup:

Ryan, this has been discussed on here a handful of times... But I also suggest Permethrin. Stuff really helps but like people have mentioned before on here, It's toxic to cats in wet form.

spray/soak your shoes and clothes the night before and as soon as you come out of a bushes check yourself. People always think i'm weird checking myself every hole but i'd rather be a bit paranoid than complacent.

lol you had me check you a couple times at trinity when I caddied for a local lol. I think I am going to just go with heavy strength deet since I have a cat and I dont feel like killing here right away lol.

Either way... make sure you're still checking yourself periodically. Or ask someone in the group to check the back of your neck and head.

Usually if you don't spot them right away, they'll end up wherever your clothes cut off.

I hate ticks :thmbdown: The locals in Missouri I played against @ ozark tourney didn't even care about them. One guy just left the ticks he got in him and said he's not worried about them. LOL!!! SMH