• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How different is "different"?

At what length would you throw differently than on a 250 foot hole?

• Total voters

Steve West

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
How much different in length does a hole need to be for you to throw differently?

Huh? Differently how? Maybe I'm just tired tonight, but I have no idea what you're asking.

Consider when you throw a hole that is 250 feet.

At what distance does your throwing style/line change?.... I think is what he is asking?!

Yep.

If you just threw a hole that was 250 feet long, and the next hole was similar, what length does the second hole need to be for you to throw differently than you did on the 250 ft hole?

Last edited:
Are we assuming flat ground, no obstacles?

I'm not really sure how to answer, I don't want to goober up the data. I wish I had more courses where only distance was the difference between holes or a football field where I could field practice on regularly to narrow it down. I generally throw hard (~90%) on every hole and let disc type be the variable. I know I power down around 240' and shorter probably. If I had to guess, I probably start throwing more of a distance line somewhere in the 330-340' range?

I'm not really sure how to answer, I don't want to goober up the data. I wish I had more courses where only distance was the difference between holes or a football field where I could field practice on regularly to narrow it down. I generally throw hard (~90%) on every hole and let disc type be the variable. I know I power down around 240' and shorter probably. If I had to guess, I probably start throwing more of a distance line somewhere in the 330-340' range?

So, when do you pull out a different disc?

A change in wind direction and speed on the exact same 250' hole might make me throw differently.

Consider when you throw a hole that is 250 feet.

At what distance does your throwing style/line change?.... I think is what he is asking?!

Yes, or disc or anything, or you would have a different second throw (compared to if the hole were 250 feet).

I thought you understood the question, but according to your answer, you would stand on the tee and say "this hole is anywhere between 250 feet and 350 feet, so I will use this disc and throw this hard on this line. Then, I will be left with the exact same second throw as a 250 foot hole."

No difference whether it is 250 or 350, it is essentially the same hole to you, right?

Yes, or disc or anything, or you would have a different second throw (compared to if the hole were 250 feet).

I thought you understood the question, but according to your answer, you would stand on the tee and say "this hole is anywhere between 250 feet and 350 feet, so I will use this disc and throw this hard on this line. Then, I will be left with the exact same second throw as a 250 foot hole."

No difference whether it is 250 or 350, it is essentially the same hole to you, right?

user-syntax.png

Nope.

Yeah, pretty much. 250 isn't SUPER short so its still possible to throw a "full" shot and for me up to 350' given the hole design im fine with throwing a putter or mid and don't use any different technique or anything until im trying to REALLY mash one out there (and that never works out anyways lol)

Maybe I don't know what you are asking? In general I try to throw "full" shots whenever possible though so my throws are changing that often at all.

I just answered the question as when I'm discing up from a mid to a fairway driver.

For me to answer the question Steve, it would depend on the type of throw I'm intending to throw.
My overhand shots (due to the different discs I carry for such) very about 30' per disc. Therefore a <235' throw is 1 disc, a 235' - 265' is another disc, and >265' is a third. BHs and FHs at that distance are "touch shots" and so EVERY shot is a "feel compared to the footage on the course" (without which I'm dead!!).