• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I pick a putter?

Good points, but one thing I'd like to add is if you can pick a putter that's available in a variety of plastics, that's even better. Star / Champ / Evo / Z etc. can be nice for a driving putter that might take a few tree hits per round, while baseline or soft baseline plastics tend to be superior for putting putters.

Also when you find the mold you want, try out a couple of different weights too.

The secret strength of Gateway putters.

Damn putters

Learn your style. Loft vs hyper. Pick a putter that works for that style. understable, stable or oferstable. Buy several of them. Practice. Stickwith it. Don't change, even if you have a bad day, week, month.

The hardest part about putters is there is obviously no magic putter out there. Picking one is oddly an intimate personal process. Granted most pros (not all but most) use stiff putter a lot of people find success and enjoy softer floppier putters. As far as how to find one you like when I find a disc that keeps making its way in and out of my bag but I can't make a decision on it probably means I just need to commit to it. So if there is one of those putters that you find yourself bouncing back and forth on commit to it and don't even consider the others for a while.

Another way to figure out one to choose is a process of elimination. Find a few questions to ask yourself like

1) Do I like beaded putters?
2) Do I like overstable putters or understable putters?
3) Do I like soft or stiff putters?
4) Do I like to use my putter for more than putting (approach, driving) and is this putter multifaceted?
5) Do I primarily push putt or spin putt? (you may just want to look into those two forms of putting).
6) Do I like lighter or heavy putters?
7) Is drop rate or glide more important to me?

Any other questions you guys can think of? that are appropriate to the subject?

Learn your style. Loft vs hyper. Pick a putter that works for that style. understable, stable or oferstable. Buy several of them. Practice. Stickwith it. Don't change, even if you have a bad day, week, month.

Spelling aside, this is good advice. :)

I have played musical putters and never really saw a significant improvement in my game until I just stuck with one. There is always the temptation to try something new, but it is usually my way of blaming my own lack of putting skill. The best part of sticking with one putter is the ability to hit longer putts. I have landed more 30-60' putts in the last month with my Voodoo's than I did with every other putter combined in the previous 8-9 months.

My simple advice...

Within 30 feet putters pretty much fly the same when one uses proper technique. Perhaps at the two extremes, say like comparing a Rhino to a Magic, you will see a difference but most putters you will not. The key factor is picking a putter which is comfortable to hold, grippy and helps you be confident. nothing is wrong with Magnets, Magics, Wizards, Aviars or pretty much any mainstream putter. I use a SS magic.

When you start pitching/throwing your putters more things come into play. This is where flight patterns start to make putters stand out from one another. An understable putter will stay up in the air longer with less power while a more stable one will have more predictable fade plus be better for hooking left around objects. I've got a SS Voodoo to compliment my SS Magic.

Most people who drive with putters, including me, like something in the stable to over-stable range. I'll use a heavy HPP Voodoo for almost all my putter throws that require more power then I can get out of a fan grip. The SS Voodoo also works for turnovers.

Really the key though is to get something and learn to use it. Marshall St. is a good place to buy X-out gateway putters at only $5-6 too. Just a thought.

Buy 5 of the cheapest non-floppy putter. Something like 5 wizards on the 5 for 25 deal. Use them until you are really good with them. Stop worrying about what putter to get.

Step one: buy putters

Step two: use each putter for a month or so straight

Step three: decide

This sounds like a good way to go instead of changing putters everyday or so. I would leave all but one type of putter at home and test one seriously for a month.

Also it may not be the one you end up keeping but it will help you with consistency by using one putter and not having your putter choice always in flux.

Just my Opinion

CHEERS - Koffee

I prefer the wizard to anything, but for pure putting, any putter will do. Find something that is comfortable. I suggest though either the wizard or the challenger so you can both drive and putt with it in all conditions and putting styles.

I am a newer player as well. I started off with a 150 weight aviar that came in the starter pack. I saw that I was throwing it to far past the basket and I was not able to take power off of it an still get a decent snap. So I switched to a 168 weight. My pitts improved but the aviar was still to rigid. I gave a super soft magic a go in 168 weight and fell in love. The flopiness felt great in my hand and I started making puts from 50' out.

Everyone is diffrent though. I guess the moral of the story is, keep trying diffrent ones till you find something that feels good.

So I've been playing for four months or so now. I still can't decide which putter I like better. Whats the best way to find which putter is best for you?

I've currently been trying a Soft Ion. I also have a Soft Magnet, Glo Wizard, and ESP Focus...
HELP!

You buy a SSS Wizard and use it.

Try a bunch of putters, fall in love with one, fall out of love with it, rinse and repeat.

Thats not how its supposed to work?

I have changed putters so many different times. But it happens.

Buy 5 of the cheapest non-floppy putter. Something like 5 wizards on the 5 for 25 deal. Use them until you are really good with them. Stop worrying about what putter to get.

This +1. It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what you think. Stop asking us, and just go practice your putting till you figure out which one you like.

I used an Aviar for years. Then I switched to using a 150 class Shark. Then to an 86 Softie. Then combined that with a Supersoft Omega. Soon I'll add an Ion.

There is no right answer as to what the best putter is. Learn on one of the basic ones, try a light midrange for a while even... but you will eventually find a disc, or several, that your are comfortable with.

Try a bunch of putters, fall in love with one, fall out of love with it, rinse and repeat.

Thats not how its supposed to work?

I've only used Wizards, and own 8 of them now. I honestly believe you could putt with nothing but a boss/nuke/etc.. if you just spent the time practicing with them. Simple game for simple minds. Throw the biscuit in the basket.

I've only used Wizards, and own 8 of them now. I honestly believe you could putt with nothing but a boss/nuke/etc.. if you just spent the time practicing with them. Simple game for simple minds. Throw the biscuit in the basket.

I believe you could putt with just a boss if that is all you used for years and practiced with it like pro's practice putting with regular putters. You would however have to developed perfect form.

The process is made exponentially easier with a true putter though. That and there is a reason pros aren't putting with their drivers.

I dont know. I had an Aviar for several years, then had a Rubber Putter, didnt notice much of a difference so, used both off and on back and forth. Back then, I didnt take disc golf seriously and didnt even know there were different putters besides the Aviar for a long time.

Then a buddy showed up with a soft Magnet. Then my fiance got me the Rubber putter, and then another friend got a couple of SE Rhynos, which were really cool at the time, but I stopped playing for a couple years or so, and when I started again, got a little more serious about it and improved a lot of aspects of my game, it came apparent to me my putting was killing my scores.

Once I started figuring out how I like to putt, I began to be a little more picky and have been in a quest ever since to find the putter that fits that perfectly.

I think with putting you have to find what is comfortable so you can do it consistantly, and there are now a TON of putters out there so something has to match up somewhere.

Within 30 feet putters pretty much fly the same when one uses proper technique. Perhaps at the two extremes, say like comparing a Rhino to a Magic, you will see a difference but most putters you will not. The key factor is picking a putter which is comfortable to hold, grippy and helps you be confident. nothing is wrong with Magnets, Magics, Wizards, Aviars or pretty much any mainstream putter. I use a SS magic.

I agree with this whole-heartedly. If you're a new player using a basic spin putt and you don't really "putt" outside of 30 feet, every disc will behave the same. If you're in that group, the only thing you should worry about is a putter that feels good in your hand and that mentally you're confident in.