• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I pick a putter?

I have an Aviar but it's a light one. A friend loaned me a Pro one thats heavier and I like it better so far. I had some pretty crappy putting yesterday regardless :(

I have an Aviar but it's a light one. A friend loaned me a Pro one thats heavier and I like it better so far. I had some pretty crappy putting yesterday regardless :(
I have an 175 rpro aviar that is so good for longer approach/putts. It just holds the line I throw it on, I can crank it and it just goes. The rpro aviar has a huge part in my game.
Biz
Team Bert

I'd recommend picking whatever stable, usually beaded, putter that's recommended here all the time (Wizard, BB Aviar, Challenger, Focus, Warlock, Voodoo, Banger, ect.) and learn to drive, approach and putt with it. If you can't do all of that stuff with a high degree of success using a putter like that then there's a problem.

If, at that point, you decide that you'd like something a bit different, then go experiment. You may find it a bit easier to hit longer putts with something less stable like a Magic or you may want something that drops faster or slower. At that point you're choosing to use a different putter and aren't forced to use one to cover up a flaw.

FWIW, I disagree that all putters fly the same at 30'. That's only true if there's no wind. Trying to adjust for a 15mph wind from 20-30' away with a Putt'r is way harder than trying to adjust with a Wizard.

How about this.

Is there a way we can come up with a system for people to find the kind of putter they like/feel most confident with through a few quick questions/purchases?

Example: I would want someone to decide quickly if they want a soft or firm putter. If they want a beaded putter, and if they want it to be understable or overstable.

Thus I would suggest someone buy an RPro Aviar, an APX, and a Firm VP. (just a suggestion feel free to substitute whatever you want).

This way you could gauge if you like soft or firm, bead/no bead, and so on and so on. Do you think there is a combo that can give someone the best idea of what they want instead of "Try every putter"? After they have that idea they can buy a couple in that vein and then decide?

How about this.

Is there a way we can come up with a system for people to find the kind of putter they like/feel most confident with through a few quick questions/purchases?

Example: I would want someone to decide quickly if they want a soft or firm putter. If they want a beaded putter, and if they want it to be understable or overstable.

Thus I would suggest someone buy an RPro Aviar, an APX, and a Firm VP. (just a suggestion feel free to substitute whatever you want).

This way you could gauge if you like soft or firm, bead/no bead, and so on and so on. Do you think there is a combo that can give someone the best idea of what they want instead of "Try every putter"? After they have that idea they can buy a couple in that vein and then decide?
I have an even cheaper way. Just convince them that firm, beaded putters are the best. There's more than enough evidence to show that it's true. If people would just get over the idea that "feel=confidence=good putting" and used what's best and actually learned how to putt it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

How about this.

You were probably posting when Garu was, but I feel like I have been comming along a "little" like Garu said. As far as putters I have used a lot have been Aviars, Banger-GTs, Wizards, Ions, back to Wizards with some I have tried in between. Thats where Im a little off on that but its a learn as you go thing for me.

What I have discovered is the Wizard, which might be the most recommended on here has been the disc I have decided to use as a baseline, and largely would be my goto putter, but there have been certain characteristic of the others I have tried that I liked better. Like the Ion, I learned I like something just a little less fade. Learned I like the feel somewhere between the Soft X and Blowfly material, closer to the Soft X. The Ions short-comming was its smooth plastic, so I like something tacky all the way around. Then the Wizard frustrates me because I am never anywhere I can feel one before I buy it.

So from that, I know I like grippy, soft but not too floppy, and neutral stability; not too understable or overstable. And I also like just a moderate glide; I dont want it to sail past but I dont want it dropping like a brick either.

Then, I have been adjusting weights from the ones I've thrown but thats even another can of worms to open.

I got long winded again here but basically trying to articulate the "it just feels right" aspect of the putters I have tried.

While I agree firm putters are the most used by pros and that a whole crap ton of people use beaded putters it doesn't mean they won't want something else. I think the Vibram's floppy line is going to have a lot of people trying softer putters along with Innova's RPro. I'm starting to like firmer putters as well but confidence does often equal good putting which is why Mark Ellis's putting confidence program finds so much success.

I would agree though that starting with the most popular molds is a great way to figure it out. Because chances are you'll end up using a Wizard, Aviar, Challenger, Voodoo, VP, ect... but is there a process that people can find to make it easier to decide so people don't have to do the putter dance?

I have an even cheaper way. Just convince them that firm, beaded putters are the best. There's more than enough evidence to show that it's true. If people would just get over the idea that "feel=confidence=good putting" and used what's best and actually learned how to putt it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Agreed. S or M Wizards age gracefully. I still have my original firm M Wizard, but have switched to a pair of S Wizards over the years with several back ups I work in from time to time during casual rounds. If you figure out what feels good to you it is much easier to be confident when putting. How the heck are you supposed to be confident if you aren't even comfortable with the putter you're trying to use?

When I first started; I always wanted my putter to feel like the other discs I was learning to throw (firm). And the bead on the beaded discs give your forefinger a home base to rest on while putting, so you get a more consistent release.

None of this matters for his question though. He needs to figure out what feels good, and what he can trust. Right now, it sounds more like he's suffering from paralysis by analysis.

Here are all the putters I've used in chronological order over a span of about 8 years.

Shark:doh:
Rhyno
Aviar
Wizard
Rhyno

I still carry a Wiz for some putts.

I used, in order

Sonic
Gummy Pro Rhino
Aviar
XD
RPro Aviar
Soft VP
xSummit
xRidge
xVP
Ion
Challenger
ESP '09 Ace Race Focus

and I have a a firm summit and firm ridge on the way.
The Ridge is pretty much it for me but the summit has seen a lot of success on long putts and I want to try out the firm (+the one I bought looks friggin sweet)

I have an R-Pro Aviar that I love because it's softer than my previous Aviar, but I'm probably going to try and find something like a Wizard or something when I'm in a place that sells them

I have a friend that doesn't ever use a putter, and beats the hell outta me on a daily basis.

Well, I went ahead and ordered some more Wizards. I liked my glo enough, so I dicided to go with that mold. I liked my ION, but it was a little slick. I never thought about it until someone else mentioned it, but I've had a few more slide outs with it than I would expect...I might keep it for short drives though...I dunno, we'll see. Once I decide on my drivers, i'll have more room for putters...I currently have 5 or 6 drivers vying for spots in my bag (only hold 8-11)

You cant go wrong with Wizards, but its funny you talk about liking the Ion except for how slick it is for putting. I found today that the Soft Ridge I have, I enjoy driving and approaches just as much as the Ion, but for this one, its the floppiness that makes me not care for it for putting. Going to get a firm to see how that goes.

I'm a relatively new disc golfer myself. I just picked up a wizard (SS) at some online store. (It's a 'unique' color option - this one is peach - and really cute) and it feels great in my hand. Small usage so far, but high quality outcomes!

I've gone through a pile of putters, who hasn't? Glad to hear you like the Wizards, as far as I'm concerned the glow plastic is the best for them. Good durability, good grip, firm but soft. I would be careful getting too many putters that are 174g, at a lower skill level the extra weight is a hinderance to better technique. I've had MY best luck with 172g, I hated Aviars until I got my hands on a 171g one. Wow what a difference I no longer fight the disc. IMO the flagship putters are Magnets, Wizards, Magic, Voodoo, Aviars and Rhynos (most stable of the lot). Personally I carry 2 Ions, a Rhyno and a Voodoo

I'm always apprehensive to get people started on full weight beaded stable putters, I realize they are more reliable in wind and the stability makes them that much more predictable. Unfortunately the full weight and stability gets people to start torquing the putters rather than guiding them to the basket. Most of the people I know that start with heavy Aviars use a wrist roll and snap to get them to fly straight, I hand them a Comet and watch it dive right.

I'm always apprehensive to get people started on full weight beaded stable putters, I realize they are more reliable in wind and the stability makes them that much more predictable. Unfortunately the full weight and stability gets people to start torquing the putters rather than guiding them to the basket. Most of the people I know that start with heavy Aviars use a wrist roll and snap to get them to fly straight, I hand them a Comet and watch it dive right.

Yea I did this myself and struggled for a while because of it. I would recommend Aviar pna, magic, magnet. 170-172g.