• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you apply worm dye?

ssittler

I'm a complete novice when it comes to dying discs but I love the idea and have maddening :wall: fun with it. Because of the inspiration y'all provide I bought a variety of Quick-Coat worm dye colors. They are awesomely vibrant but I wonder how members here are applying the dye.

Tonight I tried some inexpensive paint brushes that, according to the package, are for use with acrylic, oil and watercolor. After a few rotations on the record player (attempting a spin dye) the bezel of the brush started to gum up and the bristles were sticking together.

So I'm wondering, what do you use to apply worm dye? What should I avoid - besides cheap paint brushes.

You can use Qtips or cotton balls or even folded paper towels for larger swipes. I prefer brushes. Avoid the plastic bristles. Natural are best but can be pricey. I've had good luck with cheap synthetic sable type brushes that come in the value pack at craft stores.

When I first started, I was actually using Nylon brushes from Dollar Tree just to test things out. They worked great (even though my home-made fan setup was not so good) I never had problems with clumping on the brush, but I used a fairly thin mix of dye to acetone ratio.

However, as Master DTP stated, natural hair brushes are a whole different ball game. More expensive, but well worth it. Hobby Lobby had natural hair brushes for about $4-$8 a piece and I grabbed four sizes and was good to go. Much easier to clean up, but smoother application, just better all around.

Cheers.

So to get truly vibrant colors, are you using the worm dye straight up? Or what sort of ratio of acetone do you add?

I basically want to be able to make some white, or clear, discs bright colors instead. Thanks.

i bathed a clear disc in the pinkish worm dye and mixture of acetone... it came out the coolest pink/orange

Latest posts