• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing with fishing lure dye.

Yeah, seems like it would be worth trying to stretch it out with additional solvent(h20, even), and let you use(and REuse) it in more of a traditional dip method. It does sound really cool if it's "paintable" right out of the container, too.

How viscous is it? Would it work for a spin dye, or is it more runny than that?

Check out this shop link for a list of colors, and only $4 a bottle.
watermelon sounds especially nice

I'd worry about mixing it with rit, but I wonder if you can effectively water it down at all, since it'd be great to reduce the evaporation rate. If it is just part acetone water should work fine, but I'd want to see the ingredients first.

lol, once I get some if it's unscented I'll probably be able to tell what kind of solvent they used by the smell of the dye itself.. one of the few benefits of being a painter and working with a lot of different solvents over the years. :gross:

THERE ARE UNSCENTED COLORS AVAILABLE! Jeesh (I think you're joking about the garlic, right?)

It is way to runny for spin dyes... in the traditional sense. I've never done one, just watched a few videos on spin techniques, but It is really thin and runs fast.

I did find, that I overlooked a sentence on the back of the package that says, "Contains acetone, keep away from heat and flame." So, that's the solvent, like I suspected when it immediately dissolved the stamp.

I don't think it will do much for dyeing darker colors, but it WILL make them glow in a black light.

lol.. I know whats going in the DiscPass and what my Secret santa is getting this July! :D actually if it's like every other fishing scent I've ever used the garlic wears off in a day or 2 when exposed to the air, unless they have made huge strides in scent technology? I have my doubts about if it will dye and glow for long, so I will most likely use it for it's intended use... getting even with the neighbors next time they take my parking space! :p

I experimented with the SpikeIt dye on a white DX disc last night.

As with Rit, it was a failure. The dye just smeared around on the plastic, eventually dried up and, when I went to scrub the dried residue off (like I did with the pink Champ Spider), the disc was still white with only a couple of spots that had a very faint tint.

Oh well, I guess there just isn't any hope for DX. I think it must have something to do with the "waxiness" of the plastic.

The scented might make disc theives think twice.

ok so I got the glow in the dark stuff from the previous post. opened the cap and damned near choked! Serious garlic smell :gross: it's not gonna stop me but I i am going to use it on something I don't care about that I can leave outside until the smell goes away. :sick:

Oh my god, I thought you were kidding about using the Garlic scented. WHY?

Again, for everyone else, THIS COMES IN UNSCENTED.

It works really well, especially on the Champion Innova plastic, even though it takes off the stamps. Look at the first page of this topic for an example of results. I also have seen another guys work, on these forums, where he uses the SpikeIt for colors on his artistic disc dyeing (where as my dyeing is just for visibility). I can't remember which topic, but his disc had a brightly colored bird on it.

Could someone repost the pics in a different format? I can't see them on my work computer...:(

Oh my god, I thought you were kidding about using the Garlic scented. WHY?

Again, for everyone else, THIS COMES IN UNSCENTED.

:p because I seriously doubt the glow will stay and I'll use it for fishing.. besides if it does work, I got friends who want some.. as potent as that **** is no way you can lose a disc if one is sprayed. :D and no way is someone gonna keep one of their discs if it reeks of garlic

The most recent dye with the Hot Pink SpikeIt dye.
It's on a Champion SL (kinda rare)
I used the normal vinyl to try to mask off the Innova Protostar design but the acetone in the SpikeIt must be pretty strong because the vinyl peeled right off and became the consistency of a rubber ballo0n.

ChampionSL_HotPinkSpikeIt.jpg

ChampionSL_HotPinkSpikeIt_BlackLight.jpg

The most recent dye with the Hot Pink SpikeIt dye.
It's on a Champion SL (kinda rare)
I used the normal vinyl to try to mask off the Innova Protostar design but the acetone in the SpikeIt must be pretty strong because the vinyl peeled right off and became the consistency of a rubber ballo0n.

ChampionSL_HotPinkSpikeIt.jpg

ChampionSL_HotPinkSpikeIt_BlackLight.jpg

Can you dye black rit on top of this ? Or is there to much acetone in it to hold vinyl now? Because if you could use this pink as a background color that would be cool.

hysell and i experimented with this stuff probably 15 years ago... works great, scented colors smell awful as previously noted. definitely acetone based.

back in the day we had heard that j-bird (godfather of dying discs) was using dye meant for eyeglass frames.

I haven't actually tried to dye it with RIT following the process. I thought about working up something to dye on the first one I did, but I couldn't fine any black or dark blue RIT in town that didn't have the 11 at the end of the serial number.

The vinyl seems to stick to it just fine still and the surface feels exactly as it did before I started. Can't think of any reason you couldn't do a design and other colors on top of it.

This time (the disc above) I decided to brush instead of float. The last time, the normal, small paint brush worked OK, but seemed to leave a hint of brush strokes. This time I used one of the small edger brushes like this:
images

That was just about perfect and I ended up using less of the dye than before. Came out very smooth and even.:)