• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you use, or do you even use, your Buzzz in strong winds?

When the wind gets too nasty for my Buzzz I'll just power down (choke up) on my overstable driver.

If it's too nasty, I just throw my hornet. Wasp isn't quite stable enough and the drone is just overkill...for me anyway.

Q: How do you use, or do you even use, your Buzzz in strong winds?
A1: with care, and not into a head wind unless I want it to turnover like hell.
A2: away from water

Might throw it with the wind instead of a Nebula or Hornet.

If I dont want it to flip at all, I power down a fairway driver, probably my Star Eagle X. Sometimes I might throw it with more hyzer though.

The only reason I took it out of my bag is on some really windy rounds, the disc just flipped over like crazy.

o_O :confused::gross::confused:

You take it out of the bag just because it's not overstable and flips in strong headwinds ?

So you also took your beat in roc, your valkyrie, your katana etc out of the bag for the same reason ?

I am speechless.

And yes, that's why you carry more than one midrange and that's why the wasp and the drone exist.

I still can not belive what i just read.

o_O :confused::gross::confused:

You take it out of the bag just because it's not overstable and flips in strong headwinds ?

So you also took your beat in roc, your valkyrie, your katana etc out of the bag for the same reason ?

I am speechless.

And yes, that's why you carry more than one midrange and that's why the wasp and the drone exist.

I still can not belive what i just read.

Well it's not that I mean't anything derogatory about the disc, just I played for years, and I recently had started playing again, I became a disc junkie, and bought everything, and I realized that even though I had experienced knowledge of the game, I was throwing and had the feel of a newb because of the time off. I was minimizing my bag, 1 putter, 1 mid, etc. I felt if I had to learn 1 mid, it was the one that could handle the stronger winds, even though I preferred the feel of the Buzzz.

Now that it has been a year back in the game, and I have thrown a LOT, my snap is "starting" to return, and I am throwing with a lot more confidence, I am stating to add discs to my bag again. You are right just taking out a disc because it flips over is not very sane to a experienced player, but because it was like I was starting over again, I wanted to get a feel for the discs I felt I would be throwing more often, especially in high wind situations. Just a minimalist decision.

When the wind gets too nasty for my Buzzz I'll just power down (choke up) on my overstable driver.

sb nailed it....exactly what I would do.

I did that at first. I would pull out my Predator, and really play for a hyzer. Still I saw that disc get ripped by a wind gust from from about 5' off the ground to 40' off the ground. Of course, I was playing in a literal hurricane at the time in Virginia, but that was when I found out that the Roc was better at not getting thrown as far away by those gusts. I really would love to have had a Drone in that situation, to find out how it reacts.

Have a couple buzzz, hornet, and a drone. In everything but a head wind I throw a Buzzz. I rarely if ever throw the hornet because the drone is a 177+ beast and in a strong Kansas headwind it always wins the battle.

If it's just a light to moderate wind I'll use the Buzzz, usually a Z. In windier conditions for short approaches I'll use a Hydra, for longer shots I'll use a Firebird or a 150 Flick.

I became a disc junkie, and bought everything

Now that it has been a year back in the game, and I have thrown a LOT, my snap is "starting" to return, and I am throwing with a lot more confidence, I am stating to add discs to my bag again.

May I suggest you a comet - buzzz - wasp - drone combo ? I know, that's 4 midranges, but trust me, they are all you will ever need.

I will throw my newish Z Buzz into a light or even moderate headwind. What I've found to work is throw it nose up and always with some degree of hyzer. It will turnover if the wind is strong enough but almost always will flatten out or come back at the end, unless I try to overpower it. I usually only throw it into a headwind where ordinarily I'd throw a putter, distance wise. If I need any kind of real distance, I'll disc up to a fairway driver or driver. As a consequence, I find almost no need for an overstable mid, but I seem to be in the minority on that one. Maybe I'll discover a need for one down the line, but for now the Buzz is as stable as I need.

I carry 3 Buzzzes, a Roc and a DiscMania GM. Buzzzes a my go-to tho. I have a 170g Z that is the one I reach for most often because it's light and beat and can work infinitely many lines. Then I have a 180g Z Buzzz that I use with caution. It's still basically brand new so it has a little more stability. If its windy ish, I'll pull that out. Then I have a FLX one that I don't use much. My Roc is a turnover mid for me or big glidey hyzers if I need it. Then my gremlin is my real OS mid. I like its cuz it's low profile and has a sizable bead and if there's any amount of considerable headwind, the GM is money for me.

May I suggest you a comet - buzzz - wasp - drone combo ? I know, that's 4 midranges, but trust me, they are all you will ever need.

You know what, why not, only take out "wasp" and put in Roc.

What weight comet should I get, normally with midranges I go with the heaviest weights, but with a comet, it may effect the under stable flight?

s far as distance drivers, I have 3 Wraiths at different points of wear that pretty much accomplish everything I need, except strong winds and for that I carry a Force. Fairway, a Leopard, a Teebird, and a Predator. An extra for a water disc, being 8, and the rest of the bag can be all mids and putters.

Worth a shot.

I sidearm my Z Buzzzes into the wind no problem, but the added torque may be why I can use the Buzzz and get away with it when throwing into the wind. I carry 4 Buzzzes ( Z Glo and heavy for wind) and the only one I can't throw this way is my GT, never had too much problem throwing any 175+ Z Buzzz.

I like the blaze for this situation. They are just so damn inconsitent that its hard to find a reliable one. I have one that has the stablitiy between a hornet and a drone, not so overstable that it flies like a brick (hate the drone) and a tad more stable than a hornet, holds hyzer lines in headwinds and thrown flat will fade and wont turn and burn.

The only true wind discs I've found are the Zone and the Flick. They don't flip, and they resist air-bounces. Find the really flat-topped ones.

If you're only worried about it flipping, you can use pretty much any overstable disc; wasp, drone, etc.