• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] How does weather change losts discs?

GirdleRoc

Birdie Member
After losing a couple discs this summer I was wondering how a weather would affect the flight of the disc if I were to find it in the Spring?

Obviously the type of weather a region get matters. A lost disc in Texas wether for a few months might not change as much as a disc lost in say Wisconsin where there have been several snow falls.

So has anyone found a disc after a snowy winter or after it has been exposed to the elements for a long period of time?

Left in the sun it could warp and fly differently. Left in water it could gain a few grams and maybe fly a tad more stable.

Actually yeah, I had a DX wraith outside for nearly 9 months that I forgot about. It was in probably 7/10 shape when I left it. It went through a really hot summer, and a really cold winter (in Michigan).

As you probably would expect, it's warped, beat to hell, faded, and just, in general, useless. Intricately designed pieces of plastic (especially cheaper baseline plastic) don't really fare well when exposed to a long period of temperature changes...though I think anybody could tell you that.

I've seen some DX plastic that looked dry-rotted from weathering. I found a disc in a creek that was covered in algae and mud, contacted the guy who lost it and he said it had been in there for well over a year. After cleaning it up for him it looked almost as good as new. It was ESP plastic.

Actually a disc lost in the south would probably weather quicker. Plastic, all plastic is adversely affected by ultraviolet rays. It breaks down the plastic. It may not affect its flight characteristics as mush as how brittle the disc would become.

I've lost discs in the water & had them returned to me. The stamps faded & they became slightly more overstable. I've been told they gain weight if they're in the water long enough.

I have pulled some from the water and haven't noticed a whole lot of difference after sitting in there for an extended period of time, but I do feel like they may have gotten a little heavier. I guess this would be a good trick if you have a bunch of underweight collectibles, just soak them in a tub in your basement for a year or so and pull em out, now you've got some sweet max weights that sell for more lol

My home course borders salt marsh and a river. A couple months ago I found a DX TB in a particularly thick and nasty bit of marsh that you have to throw over. Said TB clearly had been there a while and only after cleaning did I find it was actually red instead of the creature from the black lagoon color I found it in.

The plastic feels much more textured than any other DX disc I have had, I assume from the salt water. Other than some stamp fading it was in really nice shape and obviously had not seen a ton of use, and un-inked, so I decided to use it. It honestly flies almost like a Leo. It is a hyzer-flip machine. Really happy I found it instead of the River I went in after.

Anyone else found discs in salt water and found them more US?

A dx Teebird will fly like some Leo's after a couple good tosses that contact trees or hard ground.

I've got one I have been throwing all summer that is no where near as US as the one I found and it is way more beat up looking. The one i have had since May is maybe 6.5, 172 g and my found one is 8/10 and 175 g. I've got 4 DX TBs in the bag and others in reserve. I'm familiar with how they season.

The biggest difference is the one I found feels very different. Much more porous.

all I know is my neutron volt I lost a year ago and just found in the same spot today is stupid gummy and lighter colored than it was 12 months ago its almost FLX/ESP/gummy star ish :D

Latest posts