• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Far Off Are Disc Weights?

Paulie

Birdie Member
I see people saying they weighed their discs. I imagine some may have discs where the wrote on weight has worn off and I see some folks posting the listed weight and the weight their scale says. How far off is the weight the manufacturer says they are?

I don't see myself doing weight comparisons. Just curious since I see people doing it.

I had an SL that said 172 and weighed 180.

i weigh everything, there're mostly within 1-2 grams, and usually heavier than marked. It's across the board though, all manufacturer's weights are off.

My guess is that they'll never mark them over their legal weight, but it depends how soon they mark them after they come out of the mold as well. Most plastics absorb a bit of moisture and gain a g or two by the time anyone throws them.

as mentioned above, most are within 1-2 grams. discraft seems to be the closest in my experience. gateway putters have been off the most, haven't handled much of their other discs. innova putters and mids seem to be closer than their drivers. i've seen lots and lots of '175' drivers that weighed in at 178-179.

My guess is that they'll never mark them over their legal weight, but it depends how soon they mark them after they come out of the mold as well. Most plastics absorb a bit of moisture and gain a g or two by the time anyone throws them.

^this

Hygroscopy.

2 years ago i got a z reaper that was marked 163 and weighed in on my scale at 175 that is the worst i have ever seen.

I just weighed a Wizard that came in @ 185g

I'm not even sure what to do with it. It's stupidly overstable, even for a Wizard, is great in the wind, and is 100% illegal :\

I just weighed a Wizard that came in @ 185g

I'm not even sure what to do with it. It's stupidly overstable, even for a Wizard, is great in the wind, and is 100% illegal :\

Ummm...send it back and I am sure you get more back in return. I have helped pull discs off the press for a few hours, and the rule is to not let heavy ones circulate, plain and simple. Its not like they are trying to fool anyone...

Unfortunately, in your case, once you weighed it and know better, there is no going back...

I have seen very few discs that weigh what they are marked, usually always heavier. If I order online, unless it's MS since they weigh everything, I get a few grams lighter than I actually want & 9/10 times it will be very close to what I want & sometimes it's still heavier

I've seen a few that are 30g+ off... these were marked as max weight, but the person was probably going too fast and wrote a 7 instead of a 4... 175 > 145

That would suck... but I'd like to back up the person who said that most are off by 1 or 2 grams, some 5... but even 10g differences sneak through here every once in a while.

when discraft runs out of ways to make another controllable short range disc and the Ace Race is discontinued, they'll have to run the Discraft Broad Side of a Barn. your local barn-side will be covered in a gold foil on which a weight range is displayed.

all the competitors throw towards the broad side of the barn and 40% will miss it in the true spirit of their weight-range stickers.

when discraft runs out of ways to make another controllable short range disc and the Ace Race is discontinued, they'll have to run the Discraft Broad Side of a Barn. your local barn-side will be covered in a gold foil on which a weight range is displayed.

all the competitors throw towards the broad side of the barn and 40% will miss it in the true spirit of their weight-range stickers.

*rimshot*

HAHA!

Thanks for the replies.

Now lets say, and this is all hypodermic situation, lets say you enter a tourney with a PDGA approved stamped disc, it's on the current legal list and the weight written on it is legal, but it's not. It's, we'll say, overweight for this hysterical situation, how likely are you to be called on it? Do they weigh all discs before or after a tourney? Can another player request your disc be weighed? Would you be penalized for the overweight disc if you truly didn't know and were going on the makers mark?

How accurate is your hand? Can you tell the weight dead on without seeing it written before hand?

Just wondering.