• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Far Off Are Disc Weights?

weighing by finger is a high warehouse art learned only by those who've handled plastic for thousands of hours.. i'm usually good within 2g

having weighed a **** ton of Discraft.

their stuff(Big D) is pretty much always out of the target weight range on the sticker. Innova is actually pretty accurate these days comapred to Discraft.

I had an SL that said 172 and weighed 180.

i weigh everything, there're mostly within 1-2 grams, and usually heavier than marked. It's across the board though, all manufacturer's weights are off.

Me too, I got a star sl at PIAS that said 175 and weighed 182g. WTF that's way off.

I just bought 2 star road runners friday one said 175, weighed it on a digital paint mixing scale 171.2 I was pretty bummed then I hyzer flipped it like 340 then I was happy.The other was 168 for my girl it was dead on. I pretty much weigh all my discs after I buy them, they are usually within 2 grams of what it says.

Someone once told me that Innova weighs their discs in batches and writes out what they think it is compared to the average weight .. or something like that. I have no idea if that is true or not and even mentioning it is probably stupid but alas I just don't care.

how is this possible... mass is mass. the only possible added mass would be water vapor and ink/stamp weight

The College Chemistry student disagrees. The heat waves from the disc can have an affect on the scale, making the object appear lighter, until it cools. This is because heat has a lift on the object.

Also, as the disc contracts from cooling, air bubbles in the plastic get smaller. Air escaping probably makes the disc lighter, though... but for some reason I'm thinking it might make it heavier...

When Augusta Wraiths first came out I was playing with a guy who had a 175g black one. I knew right away that it was nowhere near 175g. We weighed it. 192g.

Funny story I heard (and was corroborated) from some top Innova pros:

Discs marked max weight are within a gram in case someone gets called out..

Discs marked 172-74 are the usual overweight culprits, because who'd think to check a disc marked less than max weight.

I don't thing anything happens during cooling that would account for more than a 1/10 or 2/10 of a gram. Plastic is hygroscopic though (water absorbing), and it can hold a surprising amount of water weight. I've seen an ESP Nuke gain 5g of water weight after being submerged for a month, but most plastic doesn't gain quite that much. I'm also sure that if you took 2 identical discs and left one outside in the summer humidity of FL for a month and put the other in the most arid region of Death Valley for a month that they would be at least a gram or two different due to water weight.

Just speculation, but I think the majority of weight discrepancies from the factories are caused by poor handling of the discs and scales, and lack of routine methodical calibrations and checking the calibrations. The workers probably just slap the discs down, get a reading, and move on; 1000s of times. No stopping every 10-20 discs to check the calibrations or anything. They probably only do those kinds of things after the scales get dropped or broken.
There was another thread about scales, that quickly deteriorated into an argument about the proper way to weigh, check, and calibrate scales, and it would seem that the majority of people don't know how.

That being said, I've never seen a Lat64 disc that was more than 1/2 gram off.

Just speculation, but I think the majority of weight discrepancies from the factories are caused by poor handling of the discs and scales, and lack of routine methodical calibrations and checking the calibrations. The workers probably just slap the discs down, get a reading, and move on; 1000s of times. No stopping every 10-20 discs to check the calibrations or anything. They probably only do those kinds of things after the scales get dropped or broken.
There was another thread about scales, that quickly deteriorated into an argument about the proper way to weigh, check, and calibrate scales, and it would seem that the majority of people don't know how.

Those Swedes and their metric system:thmbup:

I just bought a scale. My Latitude and Westside discs are all within 1 gram. The few Innova discs I've weighed have been off by as much as 5 grams. But I've only weighed a handful that are in my bag or backup bag.

this is pretty much it.

I get the pleasure of weighing discs at work(it sucks) and you can notice a 1-2g difference if you don't re-calibrate after 20 or so discs. Weighing and writing weights is tedious.

The College Chemistry student disagrees. The heat waves from the disc can have an affect on the scale, making the object appear lighter, until it cools. This is because heat has a lift on the object.

Also, as the disc contracts from cooling, air bubbles in the plastic get smaller. Air escaping probably makes the disc lighter, though... but for some reason I'm thinking it might make it heavier...

You realize discs are measured in grams not grains.