• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How firm should my power grip be?

MikeyDays

When driving how firm should my power grip be? I know that too loose is bad, what about too tight? How much pressure should the thumb have? I heard that it is better to apply more pressure towards the tip of the thumb.

I suspect some of my findings because i'm injured and often times my subconscious opens my fingers even in putts despite conscious commands to grip tightly once the elbow starts straightening. I start out loose so that i can get a good acceleration of the arm and try to pinch with all my might late in the throw between the index finger and the thumb in drives. In the beginning it is good to have most of the grip power in the rear of the disc between the base of the thumb and the opposite side of the hand. Mids and putters require less index finger pinch. In driving the thumb pressure has a lot to do with the distance because to achieve a full disc pivot and a late enough rip in the full hit stage the thumb has to pinch hard because once the disc is off of the fingers you can't add power to the disc and in order to hold on to the disc long enough a lot of power is needed on both sides of the disc and the thumb is alone vs 4 fingers. So the thumb determines the grip strength and much of the distance and spin=flight path. Between 45 and 80 degree angle of the thumb to the flight plate helps in pushing down harder on the flight plate (leverage). It is way easier to push the thumb into the flight plate this way so there's more pressure and some of the plastic touches the sides of the tip of the thumb for more friction reducing slipping.

Beat DX looks bad but with good molds for your power and form it more than rewards you with better flight than a new disc. In fact there are people who loan their discs to new players to hack against everything on the course to let the disc break in faster so that when they take the disc back it i too flippy for the newer players and perfect for the wiley ole buggers armed with yet another money disc.