• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How impressive is (present-day) Ken Climo?

Or maybe, after that theoretical person stepped up, he'd figure out the holes in his game that he didn't know existed before that and continue giving 100% every day to close them. It sounds like you think that 100% means that someone does everything, even when they don't know there's more out there. That's an impossibility.

I understand what you're saying, I just look at it differently. Dig deep, there's always more, if the "rat in your stomach" (competitive drive) is strong enough. Climo gave it everything that was necessary to dominate everyone in the field at the time. McBeth is doing the same thing today.

I think climo would have a legit chance at winning, even in his advanced age, at Maple Hill. That's the kind of course which rewards controlled dad play over sheer driving power. Lay ups on the huge holes are good play there. Too bad climo doesn't play maple ;)

I understand what you're saying, I just look at it differently. Dig deep, there's always more, if the "rat in your stomach" (competitive drive) is strong enough. Climo gave it everything that was necessary to dominate everyone in the field at the time. McBeth is doing the same thing today.
There is a difference today that McBeth and the other top competitors are making their living by disc golf alone and not having day jobs. Disc golf could not support Climo as his only job even as dominate as he was, so that makes it really hard to compare what could have been. Also all these young guys have the advantage of learning from Climo and growing up with high speed discs and better technology and more courses.

^^Agreed. It is difficult to compare dominant athletes from different eras. The competitive climate and externals are different. Consistent winners like Climo and McBeth respond to the level of competition at the time and do what it takes to gain an advantage in order to WIN. It helps to have natural talent for the sport. Critical is a need to win that is stronger than everyone else's. On the other hand, there comes a point where the individual has to determine, 'By how much do I need to win?' The answer to that determines the athlete's dedication and time spent training, both of which will be different depending on the quality of the competition.

I don't think Climo reached his ultimate potential. He would have been even better, skill-wise, if he was competing in the current DG scene where players can devote full-time to the sport. So, could Climo have dominated a field that included McBeth and today's top pros? Maybe.

Or maybe, after that theoretical person stepped up, he'd figure out the holes in his game that he didn't know existed before that and continue giving 100% every day to close them. It sounds like you think that 100% means that someone does everything, even when they don't know there's more out there. That's an impossibility.

So it's like agri is using a mathematical definition of 100% and you are using an emotional definition. Look at the longer arc of the conversation. Meeting 100% of your potential is different than putting in 100% of your effort. If the amount of effort needed to get your game up to 80-90% of your ultimate potential is enough effort to beat 100% of the competition. Then it's impossible to even begin to quantify the remaining 10-20% of potential. That is until someone starts beating you. That doesn't mean the remaining 10-20% of unfulfilled potential doesn't exist. That doesn't mean Macbeth isn't putting in 100% of the effort needed to beat 100% of the players he has the opportunity to play either.

You are both right, but it seems like you are blindly arguing semantics for the sake of a context-determined definition [of 100%]

There's only two players in the World currently that are rated over 1040, and only 3 others currently rated over 1030.
Today there are 6 players rated 1040+.
15 other players are rated 1030+.

There is a difference today that McBeth and the other top competitors are making their living by disc golf alone and not having day jobs. Disc golf could not support Climo as his only job even as dominate as he was, so that makes it really hard to compare what could have been. Also all these young guys have the advantage of learning from Climo and growing up with high speed discs and better technology and more courses.

What was his day job?

Yeah, Ron Russell was the roofer as I recall. Climo did something construction-related, though. I thought he hung drywall, but I really don't know.

Yeah, Ron Russell was the roofer as I recall. Climo did something construction-related, though. I thought he hung drywall, but I really don't know.
Russell Roofing. Have you seen Ron's insane pool? :eek:

Attachments

• RR pool basket.jpg
    RR pool basket.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 160
  • RR night pool.jpg
    RR night pool.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 151
  • RR HO.jpg
    RR HO.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 136
Today there are 6 players rated 1040+.
15 other players are rated 1030+.

Yet none of them are in their 40s, none in their 30s.

Champ is now 50 years old and holding a 1024 rating. These youngsters have a long way to go to hold his jock as discgolfers.

Yet none of them are in their 40s, none in their 30s.

Champ is now 50 years old and holding a 1024 rating. These youngsters have a long way to go to hold his jock as discgolfers.
JohnE McCray currently 1028 @ 50yrs old, and throwing a 1064 rated round today beating McBeth by one.

Barry Shultz also currently 1028 @ 49yrs old.

Both McCray and Shultz peaked at 1039 ratings and both were briefly 1030 rated last year.

Latest posts