• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long can you stomache going solo?

I play with myself a lot, sometimes 4-5 times a week. Of course it's always more fun with a partner (or two)

But playing with yourself gives you many advantages, such as less distractions and you can focus more on yourself and your technique and perfect your form.

Um, are we just not using "phrazing" any more?

Seriously, I play with myself. Er, I mean, I play more rounds by myself than with others.
People have other things going on & can't always get out. I can dig that, so I don't bust peoples stones about it.

Strictly a personal preference but I will choose to just putt in the backyard and spend time with the family, or practice a few trouble holes at the course instead of playing a solo round at my home course. I don't find it as enjoyable if I'm not competing at least a little bit.

I enjoy playing solo rounds. For one thing it allows me to concentrate on my form and to experiment with new disc new shots etc. It also gives me the opportunity to "decompress" and take my mind of the struggles of everyday life and just enjoy the sights and sounds of the outdoors and be alone with my thoughts without other human distractions.

I could probably go the rest of my life playing solo. I find it very relaxing and a great way to learn my discs. I like playing two disc rounds (one vs the other) to see which I prefer and learn how they fly on many lines. This summer I have played;
DX Rhyno vs Yeti Aviar
Birdie vs Polecat
Condor vs Zepher
Roc vs Comet
Truth vs Roc3.
It's pretty interesting.

My competitive side is just not that strong anymore, I really don't care if I beat anyone, I just like improving. I like playing with a group, but at times it can get wearing, there's the guy who gets mad and pouts if he has a bad shot, the complainer, the misogynist, the bragger, the cheater, the guy who always tries to tell everyone what they should throw. Then there's the sloppy drunks and the spaced out stoners you have to babysit because they don't remember where their disc landed. I'm in my fifties, I'm not harping on young guys having fun, those I have described are all over 40! But I do also learn things from playing with others, lines, discs and form.

Still, my favorite quick solo rounds are played with 4 discs in hand. DX Eagle, DX Gazelle, DX Roc and a Yeti!

I don't care for playing solo rounds, as others said, when by myself I'll play safari or different types of throws from the same lie.

I play almost all my rounds solo. I have 2 kids and my work schedule gives me days off during the week when everyone else is working. I also like to get up early and play so I'm done before lunch and have the rest of the day for kids, etc. I often hit the course at sunrise and sometimes play two different courses and still get home by 1ish.

Being a course-bagger of modest scale, I do several fall/spring 5-10 day tours in the NW, usually playing 2-4 courses a day. Weekday discers are few and far between on many of the obscure courses I hit, so a lot of these rounds get played solo.
I enjoy solo, and seem to play well on new, unknown courses ( shot par my first time at Blue Lake---haven't been back since :eek:). Though my best rounds on courses I consistently play continue to come down a stroke or two every year or so.
Still, and maybe because I do play so many solo rounds, I really relish Sunday dubs/bagtags, and casuals with good friends or even a couple of people I just met in the parking lot.

i'd say about 80% of my rounds have been solo. i only have one DG buddy and he doesn't always come out with our work schedules and such.

I prefer solo rounds. People are annoying. I only play with others because society tells me I should prefer it but inside I know I resent those around me for being present.

I play solo most of the time when I'm traveling for business. I really enjoy playing solo, about as much as I enjoy playing with my friends.

I don't understand why people feel they need music to accompany a disc golf round. I like that disc golf takes me to places in nature so I can listen to the wind, birds, etc. I get a bit annoyed when people play music so that everybody in their group and nearby fairways can hear it, but I suppose that is a separate topic.

I could probably go the rest of my life playing solo. I find it very relaxing and a great way to learn my discs. I like playing two disc rounds (one vs the other) to see which I prefer and learn how they fly on many lines. This summer I have played;
DX Rhyno vs Yeti Aviar
Birdie vs Polecat
Condor vs Zepher
Roc vs Comet
Truth vs Roc3.
It's pretty interesting.

Very interesting concept Keller :thmbup: (thanks for that idea and don't know why I never thought of that! :doh:) and gives me an idea for my solo round(s) this week once the rain stops: I could arrange a set of discs against the other or, if my shoulder has healed up enough, go one round of RHBH vrs one round of RHFH. Of course the BH round done first will ensure that my shoulder is properly stretched and warmed up before going to the FH. Being 58 years old and not working anymore I do 95% of my rounds solo so I think this will make it a bit more interesting. Though just being outdoors and in the environment itself is interesting and fun from the get-go, there is nothing like being able to mix it up a bit every once in a while!

I play solo every morning. I'm retired and there's usually no one else around to play with, but I hate people so it works for me. Plus I can crank the tunes up full volume and I don't have to listen to motormouths. Most of the golfers in my area are 30-40 years younger than me anyway, and have nothing to say that I want to hear.

You are my favorite.

I play almost exclusively solo. There are a few people i enjoy playing with and outside of that i avoid playing with other people and decline invites to join groups. Tournament play being the obvious exception.

I'm retired too, so I routinely play solo. Almost all of my disc golf companions including my wife still work. I love the solitude. And having the course to myself. Its not that I necessarily prefer it, just works out that way. Come winter more of my construction working pals are available so I play less solo.

I enjoy the solo rounds. Sometimes I throw several per shot for a variety of reasons. Fun/practice rounds. But I generally take the next shot from where the first landed. Still other times I play solo in "tournament" mode playing as if I was in a PDGA event.

Regardless of who I am or am not playing with the ultimate goal is the same; to have fun. I'm never disappointed.

I play with myself a lot, sometimes 4-5 times a week. Of course it's always more fun with a partner (or two)

But playing with yourself gives you many advantages, such as less distractions and you can focus more on yourself and your technique and perfect your form.

giggity giggity

Seriously though, I love solo rounds. I typically play my worst when solo, I really get to focus on my form and try stupid things I wouldn't normally try.

i love the solitude of a solo round. it was a solo round that really sold me on disc golf... a summer afternoon after work, i got off early & decided to drive to the course out of town that is usually empty. the temp was perfect & half way through the round a small breeze shook some cotton from the trees & it was like snowing in summer. it was quiet and smelled good, at that point i received the most peaceful feeling i had ever felt. i stood there & soaked in the nature for quite a while before finishing my round.
now days my solo rounds will usually be me vs me (playing 2 discs) if i have time. it's a great way to test discs against each other or try different throws. sometimes it's speed golf trying to squeeze in a round in a free hour or so.
my other solo rounds are playing the course that had the baskets pulled. it is more of a workout because i'm schlepping around my portable baskets.
to the op's ?: i could probably do 2 rounds of solo on the same course, but if i was hitting new courses i could likely go all day solo (& have on a road trip).

Latest posts