• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] How many distance drivers do you bag?

Currently 6. I don't consider PDs distance drivers but I carry two of them.

3 D1s - Super Overstable, Overstable, and Workable OS. These are also my main FH distance disc. I love how they fly when released with an anny BH.

2 D3s - Main distance disc. Some turn and fade. Can be manipulated many different ways.

1 D4 - hyzerflip to turn shots, rollers

I love the Prodigy D series because the plastic is great. The molds all feel very similar in the hand due to the same rim width. They are also easy to replace, compared to your beat in to perfection Destroyer that landed in the drink.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I only need one, an overstable one. Two is nice one os and one worn in. I often carry 3-5 but sometimes over 10. Right now 8, tomorrow I'll probably be sick of lugging them. It's cyclical. I shoot the same scores with 1.

I consider 9+ discs "distance" drivers. And I have been carrying 6 most of the year. I feel like 6 gets you through the stability spectrum nicely.

Star Mamba or super beat champ SW
XG Valk
New beefy champ SW
DGA Rogue
Prodiscus Titan or QOLF
Star Wraith

If we're talking max distance speed 11 and above, I don't carry any! Don't have the arm for them so I stopped trying. For every good drive I had with a DD, I had 5 that I could have out thrown with a nice controlled Sidewinder or SL.

Welcome to the sport! I think this is what a lot or even most new players do their first couple years of playing. I certainly did. I bagged most of the discs that owned for at least a year (and had to buy a bigger bag a couple times to continue doing so). I think experimenting and trying a lot of discs is just part of starting out. It's a fun part too, so enjoy it! I remember I always had that optimism when I bought a new disc that it would do something new and wonderful for me (very occasionally it even did).

I also had a similar experience to you where I had a 405 foot hole on my local 9 hole course that I would always empty my bag at each round. I remember the first time I broke 400 feet. It was on that hole throwing a FR blizzard boss (bubbles in the flight plate) on a flex line, and it literally landed under the basket. Made me feel like a "boss" I can tell you. The course had sort of "amateur" pars written on all the signs, so I thought I had just eagled a hole since the sign called it a par 4.

Anyway... at some point you'll have collected a whole bunch of random discs and you'll start trying to actually figure out how to build a bag that makes some logical sense rather than just carrying around a random subset of the discs you own. For example, many experience players only carry 1 or 2 different molds of distance driver in different stages of wear or different plastics to cover their distance lines. I think there is a good thread on how to build a bag on these forums somewhere that you will find useful at that point. However, I wouldn't shortchange yourself on the stage where you try a lot of different discs. You'll never figure out what you really like and what works best for you without trying things.
^This describes my experience pretty well.

Currently in my bag—

Star Valkyrie: My go-to driver right now.

DX Valkyrie: Beat, super flippy. Good for rollers and hyzer flips that end up on nice long anny lines.

Champ Beast: Not too different from my Star Valk, but faster and with more dependable fade. Probably too fast for me, if I'm honest.

Avenger SS: I usually throw this when I need to go left to right (throwing RHBH) with some fade. Recently replaced a Monarch, which I decided was less versatile and more squirrelly.

Crush: For headwinds. Definitely too fast for me under normal circumstances. I should probably bag a Firebird or Predator instead, but I have a sentimental attachment to this mold, since a well-used Crush was in one of the first batches of discs I acquired soon after I started playing, and I got to throwing that thing pretty well until a cold, sad day last fall when it hit a wooden fence and broke.

In my saner moments I realize that I could get by just fine, and probably do better in the long run, with just my Valks and a Firebird/Predator. But my bag is what it is right now.

I carry 2 DDx in the bag, a 170 and a 175. I also carry a scythe but that's definitely not what I'd call a distance driver, more like a super firebird. Everything else in my bag is speed 9 or less. I rarely throw distance drivers and unless it's a wide open shot I'd rather throw a PD 9/10 times.

Currently 8 pd2s, a force, a wraith, and a thunderbird, and sometimes a boss.

On a good day I am throwing about 430 on golf lines and 450 max distance. I like mold consolidation so I prefer to only keep 1 mold of distance driver in the bag. I only change my molds if I play courses with higher elevation and then I do the same thing with Katanas.

I carry 5 distance drivers at the moment:

- Pro Destroyer (flatter run), very understable for big turnovers and rollers
- Star Destroyer (3 line AJ run), understable for turnovers that flatten out, but do not fade back
- GStar Destroyer (glitter run), good turn and some fade used for max distance
- Pro Destroyer (patent numbers run), not much turn with solid fade it is my go to right now
- Star Destoyer (pop-top), pretty beefy used for big hyzers or windy days

2x Star Wraiths, 1x Star Vulcan.
If you're counting speed 9 discs I do have a champ SW that gets used as a distance driver and a champ FB that does not get used as a distance driver...so take those as you will, I suppose.

A few years back I carried a lot more distance drivers: bosses, nuke, ape, D1, xcal...often all at the same time. I realized that I could do almost all of the exact same shots (with more consistency!) using a single overstable star wraith.

Does it count if I have some speed 7 discs that are stamped "Distance Driver" and "Ultra Long Range Driver"? :confused: ;)

What I have in the bag for a round depends on the course and the weather.

This is my tournament setup:

Max Distance:
1 Destroyer (Star)
3 Wraiths (DX, Echo*,Champ)
1 Mamba (Champ)

Less Than Max Distance:
2 Firebirds (Champ)
1 Roadrunner (Starlite)

If a DD is speed 10+, then usually none. I may occasionally carry a Blizzard Katana for water shots and/or long, wide open holes, or a Pro Starfire for strong headwinds. When I was new and trying lots of discs, I discovered that the higher speed discs were wasted on me. I think that they still would be, so I pretty much leave them alone.

If Innova's speed 9s are included, then more often than not a RR and/or Valkyrie are usually in my bag. Volts kicked Vikings out of my bag, but when I can get a bigger bag I will probably add a Viking back in again.

Two mid-160's Wraiths (stable and OS) and a 175 stable, gummy Orc for less skip and/or kick off trees than the stable Wraith.
7 fairways
6 mids
5 putters

I can flex the stable Wraith pretty hard but if I need a big turn over, I reach for the champ Valkyrie.

Currently 6. I don't consider PDs distance drivers but I carry two of them.

Same here, a S-PD that gets a lot of FH and occasional "Teebird" lines and a beat P-PD for big annys and rollers.

My distance drivers are:

VIP King, really flippy and great for D if the right side of the fairway is limitless.

VIP Sword, controlled distance, flies a straighter line.

VIP Giant, headwinds and skip shots (used sparingly)

Fuzion Trespass, my expendable driver for holes that might make discs disappear.

So 4 DDs only two of which are used often.

OP, I'm in the same place you are when it comes to my bag being in a constant state of flux. I could probably get by with just control/fairway drivers, but I'm still improving (sometimes) and occasionally my 150-class distance drivers will magically gain ten/twenty more feet than anything else in the bag. Consistency is my main problem, though. On any given day, a different mold will be my go-to, depending on weather conditions or just my general inability to hit the proper lines with my normal go-to molds. For this reason, I tend to carry around ten max-d drivers so that my options are plentiful in case I'm struggling. I like to carry a few each in the 150s, 160s, and 170s.

I was just thinking my DD section of my bad was too cluttered, but now that I think about it it mostly works. I have an ESP Crank for silly understable stuff, a Lucid Trespass for stable/US duties, a moderately seasoned Star Wraith for stable/OS duties, and a new Champion Orc that I can really rip but which fades and/or skips hard left at the end of its flight. I also have a Lucid Missilen for utility shots. It's pretty useless for most drives but if I need to go 85-90% of max distance at half the height I would need for my Wraith or Trespass nothing else comes close.

Max distance drivers? Speed12-13 I carry 3 or 4 depending.

Distance Drivers, like speed 10-11 I carry 3 usually, again, depending,

so overall for DRIVERS I'd say 7. But I have them broken up by speed and stability.

3 here.

Star tern, champ tern, gstar tern.

If it's too windy for the champ tern I'll just throw a stable speed 10

Lately ive been playing really well with just an ion and volt. I feel like the less molds i tend to carry the better I play. No 2nd guessing just grip and rip.

Lately I've been closer to this philosophy. I played with just a Proxy and Aviar the other day and was only 2 strokes off my average. A driver would have helped those 2 strokes though, as they were longer holes.

Anyway, in my big bag I carry 2, Inertia and Defy. Otherwise 0, just a Crave and Inspire for driver duties most games.