• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many more putters do I need?

you just have to pick one and stick with it. One way to narrow it down is to think of what type... I used to throw overstable, but then I learned stable putters are easier. Next is glide... more or less. Less seems to be better as you have less chance of missing by a lot.

Narrow down the qualities that work for you and then just pick one. Putting is so important to the game that you should prioritize consistency. Putters should be the least switched out mold you have. Also, think about your putting averages. If you are getting 1 out if 10 at 30', aim for 2 out of 10.

Lastly, putting is so short a distance that many discs will perform about the same if their flight numbers are close enough. You just aren't hucking these hard and getting mixed results. Your putting is just off and it isn't the arrow, it's the archer.

I often see people mention that they have small hands so shallow putters feel more comfortable. I have big hands, should I be looking to try some deep putters?

I often see people mention that they have small hands so shallow putters feel more comfortable. I have big hands, should I be looking to try some deep putters?

There's no right/wrong here. You really need to decide for yourself, because it's a feel thing so answers will be as varied as people are.
I have small hands, yet I feel comfortable regular depth putters like Challengers, APX, Wizard. I don't have a problem with shallow putters (I've played with a Vibram Summit as well as Innova XD just to get a feel for it), I don't necessarily feel more comfortable with them. Other guys with small hands may feel differently.

Some guys with large hands probably prefer deeper discs, some won't. there's only one you, and only you can know what feels right in your hand. Go with what feels right, and as ru4por said... practice.

No putter will make you a better putter simply because it feels better.
However, there are putters that will make you worse, if the way they feel gets in your head before you even putt.

you (OP) know that you like beadless, shallow, and preferably neutral to understable. from there, i'd go through the options and decide which one has the plastic you prefer best. i find that in terms of comfort, the feel of the plastic matters more to me than the slight idiosyncrasies of mold shape. obviously that is up to a point; i have pretty small hands so i don't really like a very deep rim.

once you have something you like, get 10 and a practice basket

I usually have about 5 putters in my bag at any time. 1 is my main putter. That's for anything inside 50 feet. Then I have a super overstable putter that I mainly use for upshots. Then I have a stable putter that is also mainly for upshots. Then I have a very flippy putter that I use for turnover backhand shots in the 200 foot range. Then I have a very stable fat rim putter that I use for utility forehand rollers. And then I have a sonic for 50+ foot jump putts (unless there's a lot of wind).

for your main putter, just pick something that feels comfortable in your hand, and probably something that isn't too stable so you don't have to worry about big fade outs on longer putts. Decide if you like deep rim, or shallow. bead or no bead. Then just commit to one and buy a stack of 10 for practice. Even if you later decide that you prefer something slightly different, it shouldn't matter, 90% of putters are going to behave the same inside 20 feet. it's really only the long range putts where the stability and other characteristics have a significant impact.

Last edited:
I putt with a deeper putter (Wizard) but like shallow putters for upshots/short drives.

you (OP) know that you like beadless, shallow, and preferably neutral to understable. from there, i'd go through the options and decide which one has the plastic you prefer best. i find that in terms of comfort, the feel of the plastic matters more to me than the slight idiosyncrasies of mold shape. obviously that is up to a point; i have pretty small hands so i don't really like a very deep rim.

once you have something you like, get 10 and a practice basket

This. It's about finding what you (the OP) like and start practicing from there...

Do you prefer a putter with a bead or beadless?

Do you prefer hard or soft plastic?

Do you prefer a straight flying putter or one that is over stable?

Those are the three main questions I would start with.

I think part of my search is to find a putter that I can put straight at the basket from 30- maybe 40 ft? Somewhere in that range. It seems like past 20 feet I have to aim right and it will fade into the basket. This is with putters like Link, Warden, etc that are not overstable putters. Is this a form issue or is it not something common to do from circles edge putts (or even longer?).

I think more spin on the disc will keep it tracking straighter for longer. I'm more push than spin so as the distance increases I actually prefer to play a higher line to the right and let it fade in.

Almost everyone has their own style and what works for them. Even at the pro level you'll notice some very different styles and they all seem to make their style work for them.

Just a matter of dialing in your particular form more than anything. Probably less to do with with your disc selection than your throw.

Putting is ,90% mental, 10% physical.

It's all about technique and form. Find a putter and stick with that mold until you can consider yourself a good putter.

You can then screw around with different molds for conditional putting.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I think part of my search is to find a putter that I can put straight at the basket from 30- maybe 40 ft? Somewhere in that range. It seems like past 20 feet I have to aim right and it will fade into the basket. This is with putters like Link, Warden, etc that are not overstable putters. Is this a form issue or is it not something common to do from circles edge putts (or even longer?).

That is a form/technique issue.

That is a form/technique issue.

exactly. all discs are going to fade as they lose spin speed. if the disc is fading quite a bit from the circle's edge then it means it's losing spin quickly, which is a function of your putting form. if you're a push putter then you expect this to happen and aim right. if you're a spin putter then the disc will stay straighter longer and you don't need to aim as far right.

you should know if you are a spin putter or a push putter and then shape your putting line and select the stability of your putter accordingly.