• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many more putters do I need?

tallenAZ

I've been playing for about 6 months and so far accumulated 17 putters. Not bad you might think, however, I have 15 different molds. I just can't seem to decide. I still put with the first putter I bought (Link) mostly from familiarity, but I just keep buying more putters to try out. One of these things has to fix my putting and make me 100% from C2, right? I'm not sure which one it is, so I guess I need to buy some more putters. It's kind of funny but also sad at the same time. I'd really like to buy a stack of the same putter for better putting practice but I can't help wanting get all the putters. Thoughts?

Don't ask me. I was going through my discs a couple of weeks ago and I have over sixty putters.

There was a stretch of time where I was trying just about every putter in search of that perfect throwing putter.

It´s easy to say "just find one you like an stick with it" . . but in reality it SOO easy to think "damn i suck at putting today, i better try another putter, that will help"

But you can give Paul o Ricky any putter on the market and they will do just fine. . It´s Paul and Ricky that are THAT good, not their putters

If you'd just bought ten of one putter it would have been cheaper and you'd probably be better at putting right now. I've decided on a putter just can't pick the plastic! Wish I could take my own advice.

I did borrow a bag of 20+ putters to try out in my hand a couple of months ago. It was quite helpful though I didn't have a chance to try them out much with all the bad weather. Shops should offer bags for people to borrow to find their one putter.

If you'd just bought ten of one putter it would have been cheaper and you'd probably be better at putting right now. I've decided on a putter just can't pick the plastic! Wish I could take my own advice.

I did borrow a bag of 20+ putters to try out in my hand a couple of months ago. It was quite helpful though I didn't have a chance to try them out much with all the bad weather. Shops should offer bags for people to borrow to find their one putter.

And if you go with a company like Gateway, chances are better then others that the plastic you want will not be there or changes from run to run more so then other companies.

The putters I tried were Rubber Putter given to me from an uncle, a Wizard, then a Putt'r liking the feel for a lid.
The Putter I eventually found Magnet as it was close to a lid in flight. I am using in a different plastic as the Pro D plastic has changed from Stiff Pro D to a softer Pro D in 2006 sometime, maybe modern Pro D would work but the new Jawbreaker is better, and I do not need to look for a more grip run of modern Pro D. My old set with the main closer putter being Stiff was getting old in 2017 right before I hyzer putted with my modern Pro D Magnet the longer putter into a tree trying to putt around it warping the disc in 2-3 diffrent ways and in 2018 I retired at end of season my Stiff Pro D causing me to buy Proline Titanic discs for temps above 90-95 F.

Last edited:
Guess it's too late for my advice — stick with one putter long enough to figure out what you think you are looking for in your preferred putter. Putting with a domey, kind of deep, kind of stable putter, I knew I wanted a putter that was more understable, flat top, and shallow (I have small hands).

So, what features do you like from the 60 putters you have? What's a design element that appears to be important to you?

Part of buying so many is I wasn't sure what to get. Also, I bought most of them from a $5 bin, so I saved a little there. I think I've come to decide on beadless, shallow, maybe understable putter. I too have smaller hands. I've liked the feel of the Warden, Deputy, possibly Roach (don't have one...yet) and considering Keystone and Fierce. Sometimes I miss right and I'm unsure why. It seems to me like I'm shaking hands with the basket and nothing overextended. However the most frustrating for me is when it fades right in front of the basket.

Also seems like the harder I try to putt it, the less of a chance I have of making it. I haven't figured out how to make consistent putts because of it. I try to emulate Simon's spin putt, but I guess I just can't seem to generate enough spin. Sometimes I think to not putt it as hard as I think and it'll float longer than I expect.

Make sure you are setting up right and consistently. Try to putt through the chains, not to the chains if you're missing short.

Also you simply need more reps...at least 10,000. That's only 100 a day for about 3 months, or only 50 a day for about 6 months. Very simple and can be done with only 2 or 3 putters in hand, no need for a stack. Just pick a putter that is not uncomfortable (notice I didn't say comfortable.) Don't worry about finding something "comfortable" because as long as it is not uncomfortable, the reps you put in will make it comfortable.

If you don't have a basket yet, get one. Whenever you feel like buying another putter, set that money aside into your basket fund. Having a basket you have access to 24/7 will eliminate the excuse of not being able to get to the course to practice putting.

Last edited:
I have 2 bits of advice being someone who struggles with putting consistency myself. #1 the form is more important than the mold. Like someone already said if you gave ricky or paul just about any putter on the market their make % is gonna stay relatively the same. So get rid of the idea that you are going to find the "perfect putter" that is magically going to make everything go in IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. You should focus on what feels nice in the hand and what releases nice. All you are doing by trying so many is stealing confidence from yourself that YOU make the putt not the putter. #2 take notes when you are putting. If something felt correct write it down. If something felt awful write it down. We often leave a putting session with new ideas about how we are going to change but then fail to use them the next time we putt because that specific "idea" escapes us in the moment and we go back to instinct. Putting is 50% confidence 50% form IMO

I appreciate the advice. I actually do have a putter and try to put whenever I walk by and when I have time I'll set aside time to put 100+ times. Setting up right for the put seems tricky as putting seems like the one thing that is dealers choice.

The frustrating part of my previous post is seeing if fade left in front of the chains. I usually don't miss short in my range 20ft or so. At 30 ft is where I feel real uncomfortable and doubt I'll make it. I've heard putting is mental but it's hard to overcome seeing yourself attempt a historically low percentage putt.

First off, what you are going through is totally normal. I think most everyone has gone through the same process. I haven't counted recently, but I know that I have over 40 putters, and not many exact duplicates. For me it's mainly about feel. I like a firm, hard plastic putter, and not a huge amount of grip. The one that I bag for in the circle putting most of the time is my Zero Hard Dagger, but I have two or three other molds that I can switch in very easily. I agree with others in this thread that one of the main things you can do is to have your own basket, and if you live in an area like I do, Iowa, having a basket indoors where you can use it year round is a huge plus.

Putting practice at times can become so boring and routine that I just need to use different discs to shake things up a bit.:D

I appreciate the advice. I actually do have a putter and try to put whenever I walk by and when I have time I'll set aside time to put 100+ times. Setting up right for the put seems tricky as putting seems like the one thing that is dealers choice.

The frustrating part of my previous post is seeing if fade left in front of the chains. I usually don't miss short in my range 20ft or so. At 30 ft is where I feel real uncomfortable and doubt I'll make it. I've heard putting is mental but it's hard to overcome seeing yourself attempt a historically low percentage putt.

My putting sucked until I bought 3 similar discs - 2 Wardens and an Aviar. As I was practicing, I started making putts I previously had no business making. I stopped practicing and I don't make those anymore.

If I'm smart...which doesn't always happen...I anny my disc a little to counter the left fade.

It´s easy to say "just find one you like an stick with it" . . but in reality it SOO easy to think "damn i suck at putting today, i better try another putter, that will help"

But you can give Paul o Ricky any putter on the market and they will do just fine. . It´s Paul and Ricky that are THAT good, not their putters
I agree with you
o.png

Try any of the putting games that have you move in incremental distances. Keep a record of how you do...this is important for confidence and improvement, as you will have recorded proof that you can hit X percent of putts from Y distance. Don't try to jump from 20 feet to 30 feet. Increasing your comfort zone happens one foot at a time. You may find yourself making 90%+ from 20 feet, then all you have to do is start making 90%+ from 21 feet. It can be easier mentally to think that it is only one more foot outside your 90%+ area, so there shouldn't be too much difference. Eventually you will feel more comfortable from further out as you have built a base of confidence one foot at a time.

Again, it will come as the reps accumulate.

I'd really like to buy a stack of the same putter for better putting practice but I can't help wanting get all the putters. Thoughts?

As many have said, the putter is one of the least important parts of putting. Once you develop good form, most putters will fly about the same inside the circle. But it is good to have several copies of the same putter for practice.

I tried quite a few putters before settling on one. I eventually sent a big box full of rejected putters to someone who was helping to introduce youngsters to this fine (but often frustrating) game.

Good luck!

And here I felt bad for buying 1 Aviar and 1 Banger-GT before settling on a stack of Wizards. I couldn't even think of 15 different (putting) putters I'd want to try, because I want my putter to be available in bulk for cheap. I'm curious about the Fierce and the Luna, but I'm not buying multiples at those prices.

Pick one you can see yourself throwing, and sell the rest. Invest the sales money in helping to buy more of the same putter that you picked.

I had to do that this winter. Sold all of my other putters (challengers, classic aviars, P2s) and forcing me to commit to throwing Steadys.