• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP New to gyro: Initial Impressions

Lumberjack504

Eagle Member
Decided to try some axiom/mvp after feeling a couple of their molds in the store recently and being very impressed with the feel and apparent manufacturing quality. I dig the flatness in slower molds and they have it consistently it seems. Bought a new pyro and a 5 pack of throwers off of Reddit.

What I bagged today and first impressions:
1. Eclipse proxy. A bit more stable than expected but flew great, until it went over a course fence into a backyard - a fence I've only cleared (by mistake of course) with mids. Goes far for a putter. Are the electrons more understable?

2. Cosmic neutron envy. Divine. Enough said. A bit more stable on the ass-end than expected. Goes FAR

3. Cosmic neutron hex. Feels great, laser beam stable line holder. A touch more stable than expected.

4. Cosmic neutron reactor. Wow. Fantastic stable-OS midrange. Again, a bit more stable than expected but pleasantly surprised with the glide and integrity. This could be the workhorse mid I've wanted roc3s to be. How are these in electron?

5. Prism neutron pyro. Fast beef with decent glide. Workable but I don't think it will ever flip nor ever not fade.

6. Cosmic neutron photon. Board flat meathook. Are they all like this?

Now that I type this out, I realize that 4/5 of these are cosmic neutron. Is that plastic generally more OS than standard neutron, or do they need a bit of seasoning, or do I just need to adjust to MVP's flight numbers? Maybe a mixture of the above.

In any event, I'm impressed and digging the plastic so far.

Molds I want to try next:
Crave
Wave
Octane
Virus
Tesla
Deflector for the lols

Envy is similar to a Zone (and a bunch of other molds). Fine upshot disc.

Photon is very flat and glideless. Tesla is too, but slower.

Wave is similar to a Tern, but maybe a hair flippier.

Octane is stubborn and a bit glideless. Fairly Destroyer-like.

Crave is a pretty decent, somewhat flippy fairway driver. Like a Teebird, but with more turn.

Hex is an OK mid. It didn't stand out to me, but it didn't suck either. Like a Buzzz, but with a shallower rim.

You should also look at the Volt, Mayhem, and Relativity. If you want a really fast, long driver check out the Delirium or Dimension.

Electron discs generally start fairly similar or maybe a touch more US, but they beat in a lot faster. An electron proxy will be a turnover disc after a few tree hits.

Reactors aren't made in Electron, unfortunately.

Photons, and most MVP drivers, are generally flat, but they aren't always meathooks. I'd say (from my limited experience) that they vary from like 3/0/3 to 4/-1/2.5 when new, with some outliers.

I would say that MVP's discs are more often than not a little more OS, but not by a lot and not all molds. Cosmic Neutron is considered more OS by some people, and I think that it holds true for some molds, at least, but it's also disputed by others. Some say that it's just because Cosmic Neutron was among thr first plastic released after they moved production in-house. In general I think it's a good idea to expect it to be more OS, but don't count on it.

I think @Twmccoy must be talking about Entropy when he says it's like a Zone, because that's an apt comparison. Envy is totally different as you probably know from having one.

Wave and Deflector are fun discs. Waves can me great neutral to US control drivers, depending on arm speed. Deflector is fairly unique, it's like a 6 speed Zone OS, incredibly overstable and borderline a fairway driver. Maybe similar to a slightly faster Justice or Mutant.

I have found Eclipse and CN to often be on the more stable side of molds, but don't have the sample size as a lot of guys here to say certainly. Something else of note is depending on your throw style I have heard, and seen in my own experience to an extent, that gyro sometimes needs more spin to achieve flights closer to the numbers compared to other brands. This is one of the reasons many find themselves throwing a handful of grams lighter than they typically would.
For instance, I love mid 170s for 11/12 speed drivers but found myself loving photons around 165-167g and even my waves in the high 160s.

4. Cosmic neutron reactor.
I'd like a CN Reactor and can't find any. Where did you get it?

The first eclipse runs were beefier than any that I've tried since, including the Elaine King eclipse. Anybody know of another OS Reactor run?

The only CN Reactors I'm aware of are L2s. To the best of my knowledge, they've never done a stock run.

I'd like a CN Reactor and can't find any. Where did you get it?

The first eclipse runs were beefier than any that I've tried since, including the Elaine King eclipse. Anybody know of another OS Reactor run?
A shop owner collects and has hundreds of first run disc and others, and has been selling them off at about 50 at a time. I'll ask about the Reactors next time I inquire. My best gem had been a L2 Proton Crave stable and fast. Have picked up a few others Cosmic Proton Wave and Eclipse Insanity. I have stop by every couple of weeks the past few months. For the second time I decided no on a Prototype Eclipse Inertia. I'll let you know about the Reactors. About a third of his collection is MVP Axoim and I haven't seen them all.

Now that I type this out, I realize that 4/5 of these are cosmic neutron. Is that plastic generally more OS than standard neutron, or do they need a bit of seasoning, or do I just need to adjust to MVP's flight numbers? Maybe a mixture of the above.

No.
MVP fortunately doesn't fall into the "plastic makes me x" category.
The overmold corrects a large majority of the flight issues, which is great.

First starting out in gyro, you're going to feel like more discs are overstable because .. physics. If you were to grab those same discs in teh same plastic in the 165-168 gram range, you'd see how different they flew. The weight further out on the rim makes it a bit harder to get some spin on them causing a bit more overstable flight.

Cosmic neutron got the "overstable plastic" label from when MVP went in house and started re-tooling. Most of the re-tools were done in CNeutron when they fired up the new machines/molds and everything came out overstable in all plastics at first. They have fixed most of them since then.

But people are so used to single mold stuff where the plastic cooling is a huge factor in the flight/shape, that people forget that MVP is done with an overmold, which... fixes most of that. But most of the re-tool overmolds for some reason were overstable, duno why.

Get your nose down!!! Gyro doesn't flip as easy as a regular disc. I also second trying discs 4g or so below your regular weight when going to MVP. They make fantastic stuff in the 155-166g class.

I hope you enjoy them, that's a nice gyro starter set! Good choice of next ones to try as well! If the envy is an L2 cosmic most of the other ones will be less stable, I like an electron/plasma envy combo. Teslas have been a little beefy lately, neutron has been consistent middle of the road for stability, the newest fission seem to be better but the last 3 batches have been really OS and low on glide. I love a good fission tesla.

Last edited:
Get your nose down!!! Gyro doesn't flip as easy as a regular disc. I also second trying discs 4g or so below your regular weight when going to MVP. They make fantastic stuff in the 155-166g class.
I'm actually working with my Axiom/MVP high speed stuff for just this reason. I got 420' out of my Fission Octane the other day, but I know I should be pushing 450' with my build and form.

I'm actually working with my Axiom/MVP high speed stuff for just this reason. I got 420' out of my Fission Octane the other day, but I know I should be pushing 450' with my build and form.
For the up coming Fall thru Spring strong wind season I'm thinking about picking up a Fission Octane along with the Fission Time lapse. Have you thrown a Plasma or Neutron Octane? Is the grip on the Fission just like them? I had a Plasma and gripped a Neutron they both felt good. I didn't like the Proton grip.

The Fission feels closest to Neutron, which is what it's based on, if I've understood correctly. I have a CN, Plasma, and Proton Octane in the bag at the moment (obsessing slightly), and I think the Proton's coming out. A shade domier than the other two (which Fission drivers can be as well), and I just haven't quite connected on it. More geometry than plastic in my case, but agreed anyway that it feels a little different: I could see how you could like one and not the other.

I've got a few fission octanes, nice grip it's a good fission blend. Got two SE and one stock.

The Mayhem is great in the wind, octane is weirdly flippy anything past about a 10 degree angle with headwind it's one of those throw me flat or hyzer kinda MVP discs, the Mayhem has a pretty linear turn to fade dynamic from even a steep anhyzer angle

Octane is a 500+ disc homie. =)

Gyro, annoyingly, will actually punish you on distance if your form isn't good vs single molds. It's far less forgiving.

Craves are good for 400.
Move into the 11 speed stuff and you'll hit that 450 again.

I'm poking fun though, but Gyro will punish bad form more than single molds. It's harder to get spin on gyro which can kill your distance. Then if you're trying to throw the big dog drivers, you're going to suffer even more.

The Fission feels closest to Neutron, which is what it's based on, if I've understood correctly. I have a CN, Plasma, and Proton Octane in the bag at the moment (obsessing slightly), and I think the Proton's coming out. A shade domier than the other two (which Fission drivers can be as well), and I just haven't quite connected on it. More geometry than plastic in my case, but agreed anyway that it feels a little different: I could see how you could like one and not the other.

The newer fission I do believe is basically microbubble neutron from what the bro's said.
OG fission was its own thing though.

Round 2 with a few new additions. Purchased a lightly used E proxy and buddy lent me three drivers to try out.

1. E Proxy ~170g - Dead nuts straight for the most part. Goes for days. Will this season into a flip and hold turn disc? If so, how long in y'all's experience?

2. Neutron Virus 174g - Flippy, great hand feel. Could be useful in the woods or on a forced roller. Will probably bag as I'm currently missing this slot.

3. Neutron Wave 156g (PDGA disc from yrs ago) - Flippy, easy distance when hit correctly but squirrelly. Would like to try a heavier one and/or in a different plastic. Still not sure how MVP plastics affect stability. Open to plastic/weight recommendations for a controllable hyzer flip in the 400' range.

4. Plasma Octane 165g - beef but glidey. Would love to bag it for power hyzers but the rim is just too wide - I kept early releasing it today. Pass

Still want to try a crave, insanity, volt, tesla, uplink, spin (I love slow flippy discs). This CN reactor and envy continue to please me and I saw the Hex fly some buttery lines. In general I'm really liking the feel and flight of these discs - I see the allure and the potential.

What would y'all recommend for that speed 11 workhorse (wraith) gyro mold? Photon seems beefy and glide-less but others have suggested finding one with some dome. Is this tree worth barking up or is there another mold that fits better? Looking at their flight chart, the zenith and the defy stand out. If there is truly no analog, I have no problem sticking with wraiths, it's just that this experiment has been fun.

@Lumberjack504 I'd check a Mayhem 13? Speed, its hard to figure out what a wraith comparison is.. but the Mayhem is very surge like. The 11s are a rough spot, big gap between a wave and a photon.. trace is good if you want to slum with a solo mold. I'd say get a tesla and give that a burn, seriously underated but absolutely a workhorse, decent for thumbers too. A good tesla is unstoppable. The bad ones are OS turds.

Depending on your wraith I'd say octane or Mayhem. Wide rim problems? Oooh maybe a heavy neutron wave? Only other solution is a rare FR fission photon, but those have been too beefy lately I hear.

Round 2 with a few new additions. Purchased a lightly used E proxy and buddy lent me three drivers to try out.

1. E Proxy ~170g - Dead nuts straight for the most part. Goes for days. Will this season into a flip and hold turn disc? If so, how long in y'all's experience?

2. Neutron Virus 174g - Flippy, great hand feel. Could be useful in the woods or on a forced roller. Will probably bag as I'm currently missing this slot.

3. Neutron Wave 156g (PDGA disc from yrs ago) - Flippy, easy distance when hit correctly but squirrelly. Would like to try a heavier one and/or in a different plastic. Still not sure how MVP plastics affect stability. Open to plastic/weight recommendations for a controllable hyzer flip in the 400' range.

4. Plasma Octane 165g - beef but glidey. Would love to bag it for power hyzers but the rim is just too wide - I kept early releasing it today. Pass

Still want to try a crave, insanity, volt, tesla, uplink, spin (I love slow flippy discs). This CN reactor and envy continue to please me and I saw the Hex fly some buttery lines. In general I'm really liking the feel and flight of these discs - I see the allure and the potential.

What would y'all recommend for that speed 11 workhorse (wraith) gyro mold? Photon seems beefy and glide-less but others have suggested finding one with some dome. Is this tree worth barking up or is there another mold that fits better? Looking at their flight chart, the zenith and the defy stand out. If there is truly no analog, I have no problem sticking with wraiths, it's just that this experiment has been fun.
Proxy will beat in to be flippy, I find that it happens somewhat gradually, but probably only a few weeks of steady play until you see some serious drift.

Photon, Wave and Trace are by far the 3 best 11 speeds MVP makes. Photon and Wave sit on either end of the Wraith spectrum, and there is some overlap in the middle for an "average" Wraith, but you might have to try discs until you find one.

Trace is obviously not overmold/gyro, but I'd describe it as a worse, slightly more understable Wraith.

Try a Relativity or Excite. Either one of those will push out to 450' pretty easily. IDK what it is about the Octane, but they simply aren't great fliers.