• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how much for a pay to play?

? per round

• $ 1

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • $ 2

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • $ 3

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • $ 4

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • $ 5

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • more than $ 5

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
A few of the club members here and I had this discussion due to a local par 3 golf course closing down. They wanted me to check out the possibility of putting in a disc golf course on the property. It would be pay to play.
Here's some things you need to take into account;
1) Labor and staffing
2) what percentage of players are single round/ daily fees

You also need to consider Yearly memberships. (Otter Creek is $30 or $3 daily)

Also while you may get alot of traffic early on when you open it'll diminish down to the serious players. Is your course up to snuff for these guys? Do you want to attract a bigger crowd?

For me, I suppose it would have a bit to do a lot with what else was in the vicinity. If the course is located very close to one or more extremely high quality course that are free, you're going to have a very hard time getting people to justify more than a couple bucks. In an area that is devoid of high end courses and only has a few lower end free courses, you can probably charge a bit more since you're providing something that is lacking.

For me, I suppose it would have a bit to do a lot with what else was in the vicinity. If the course is located very close to one or more extremely high quality course that are free, you're going to have a very hard time getting people to justify more than a couple bucks. In an area that is devoid of high end courses and only has a few lower end free courses, you can probably charge a bit more since you're providing something that is lacking.

Or....Since the number of disc golfers is growing faster than the number of courses, a place with a lot of high quality courses is more likely to have an over-abundance of disc golfers. You might be able to (and want to) charge a bit more so players have a place where they can avoid lines.

Pay to play is the future of disc golf. Hopefully one day, people might actually respect the people that play. For now, it is the sport of the unemployed. Did you know our cousin, ball golf, is highly respected? People make business deals on the golf course. They make contacts with others, they get deals, they make money. The only contact I ever got on the disc golf course was a contact high.

I paid $5 to play a 9 hole course. It was really nice. I pay $2 to play a nice 18 hole course, and thats cool too. I paid $10 to play one of the best courses I have ever played, and I have paid nothing to play one of the best courses I have ever played. I guess my point is that I don't see what the big deal is on paying...even $15 for that matter. How much do you pay for a cocktail at the bar these days? Or to fill your gas tank? Or for dinner for two? I know that for a while it felt like you were getting away with something by playing this sport for free, but in congested areas, particularly ANY city, I think it is silly to think you should be playing a course on that much land for anything less than $5 a round.

5 dollars and less is acceptable, I got into the game because of how cheap the initial costs are. Ive spent more money on it than I ever thought I would. But for people with low income its an ideal hobby, I don't see to many down and out people on ball golf courses.

Its a blessing and a curse?

Yall missed the point of this thread... It is intended to help us get an idea to help the park decide what is fair. Not are you into the idea, do you like DG courses on bg courses, or an all day/seasonal pass.

You're voting on how much is fair to pay PER ROUND.

I'm in for 2.00 a round but would pays couple more bucks to play it a couple times when it does open.

Yall missed the point of this thread... It is intended to help us get an idea to help the park decide what is fair. Not are you into the idea, do you like DG courses on bg courses, or an all day/seasonal pass.

I'm in for 2.00 a round but would pays couple more bucks to play it a couple times when it does open.

Who you talking to?

I voted $5 per round.

I feel this is acceptable.

I think $5 is fine, but if it's more than that, it really be a special course...with amenities.

about my take as well. a course near here (on private property no less) went pay to play at $3 a head, and i have no problem with that. it's obvious that money is going to maintain the place.

but over 5 bucks and there better be a well-endowed woman waiting at the end of the 18th hole to tell me she's never seen a game of golf played so well while handing me a beer.

$5 seems to be it. I would prefer an anual fee, such as the awesome Metroparks up in Michigan.

Likewise, the point some have tried to make, that you may have missed, is that there is no generic answer on what is fair, per round. It depends greatly on the course you're talking about, and the disc golf community around it.

I'm not even sure how to define "fair". Any amount is "fair" to charge. But how much is someone willing to pay? Well, I'll pay $5 for a round on a great course, but not on a cheesy 9-holer. And I might not pay that $5 for the round on the great course, if there are free great courses nearby.