• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how much power do you put on your drive

Sometimes, depends on how far the hole is. If I am driving with a putter off the tee and the hole is 250' or more, I will power grip it and throw it pretty hard. I probably take something off though because I want to make sure the throw is smooth and I get a lot of snap on the disc. With a driver I can afford to err on the side of jerky or violent with my throw but I can't with my putters.

Of course your question is kinda flawed for me because I don't throw the same power with drivers every time.

But if you were driving, does it matter if you have a putter or a driver, or does it only matter the length of the whole for the varrying power you put on the throw.

With the putter right now, I at an open field, I put as bout as much as I can and maintain form. If it gets tighter, I think I reduce power and focus more on getting a nice release on target, the same way I think I would if I was throwing a driver that needed to thread a needle.

But if you were driving, does it matter if you have a putter or a driver, or does it only matter the length of the whole for the varrying power you put on the throw.

With the putter right now, I at an open field, I put as bout as much as I can and maintain form. If it gets tighter, I think I reduce power and focus more on getting a nice release on target, the same way I think I would if I was throwing a driver that needed to thread a needle.

Well I use the same form and throwing motion if I am driving with a putter or a driver. The problem is there are more variables than just what disc I throw off the tee. Every drive I throw is going to be between 70-100% power with whatever disc I select off the tee.

I know there are other variables, but I am just thinking specifically about going for controlled distance and no line shaping, like throwing in a field. So in that scenario, if you are throwing the same, regardless of type of disc, outside of hyzer angles but the same power, then does that mean the disc does the work from there?

Im not saying that buying discs will increase distance, but opposite that in the disc, like a putter, will control your distance from overshooting, hence the "throw the disc that will have the least distance and still get there" philosophy.

Am I off on this?

I know there are other variables, but I am just thinking specifically about going for controlled distance and no line shaping, like throwing in a field. So in that scenario, if you are throwing the same, regardless of type of disc, outside of hyzer angles but the same power, then does that mean the disc does the work from there?

Im not saying that buying discs will increase distance, but opposite that in the disc, like a putter, will control your distance from overshooting, hence the "throw the disc that will have the least distance and still get there" philosophy.

Am I off on this?

You are not off on that. If I am just throwing in a wide open field then yes, I am throwing the discs the same and letting the discs do the work. I definitely let the disc do some work instead of forcing it into lines.

An example of this for me is Heritage Park in MD. Almost all the holes are wide open field shots between 280'-400'. When I go out there and play, I throw the slowest disc that will get there with an 80% throw on a shallow hyzer. I've played out there with a couple of locals a few times and they almost always throw drivers and just try to power way down on them or throw them on wide hyzers to control distance, that seems like way more work to me.

I am a bit of an exception though because I love throwing putters off the tee way more than other people do.

You are not off on that. If I am just throwing in a wide open field then yes, I am throwing the discs the same and letting the discs do the work. I definitely let the disc do some work instead of forcing it into lines.

An example of this for me is Heritage Park in MD. Almost all the holes are wide open field shots between 280'-400'. When I go out there and play, I throw the slowest disc that will get there with an 80% throw on a shallow hyzer. I've played out there with a couple of locals a few times and they almost always throw drivers and just try to power way down on them or throw them on wide hyzers to control distance, that seems like way more work to me.

I am a bit of an exception though because I love throwing putters off the tee way more than other people do.

Yeah, I think with my most recent disc down to putters, I have seen that it can do the work for me, and dare I say I am getting about as much distance with my Wizard as I was with my champ Leopard.

The putter got me focused more on acceleration at the right moment and snap and letting the disc take over from there where before, I would try to power everything, then not get as much distance as I would like, so I would power some more the next time and not get any further but get wilder and wilder as time went.

Im up to 235' controlled with the Wizard (or banger but I decided I dont want the thumbtrack telling me where to put my thumb) and I cant wait to see how my improvement aid my mids, then fairways. I just want to get 15 more feet with my putter yet.

I have been driving putters so, I will find out eventually. I am just curious because on my putters, I put about the most power I can on it while maintaining form and really, it seems like the putter does the work from there. I wonder if the mids and drivers will be the same.
Just like sidewinder22 suggested, you can use the same throw for putters, mids, fairway drivers and sometimes distance drivers and get good results. Granted your aiming might not be the same (you'll have to aim higher to get a putter to go far), but you can use the same basic technique.

Im up to 235' controlled with the Wizard (or banger but I decided I dont want the thumbtrack telling me where to put my thumb) and I cant wait to see how my improvement aid my mids, then fairways. I just want to get 15 more feet with my putter yet.

I prefer the Banger for driving. The thumbtrack helps aiming and gives better grip, so I can it throw further and with better accuracy.

I prefer the Banger for driving. The thumbtrack helps aiming and gives better grip, so I can it throw further and with better accuracy.

It definately is still a good back up that I could use without noticing a difference, but I just fell in love with the glow Wizards feel.

It's all about feel when you are talking about stable putters. They all perform about the same with good technique.

Spinal Tap maybe?

How do you throw 120% power? Wouldn't that then be your 100%? Sorry to nitpick...just a strange thing to say. I guess the point is, don't overpower your disc.

Sounds like a Spinal Tap reference ... I can just hear Nigel now. "Most blokes will throw at 100%. You're on 100% here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on 100%. Where can you go from there? Where?" "but we'll throw at 120%"

:doh:

Honestly it all depends on the shot and the disc. A mid-range anywhere between 40-70%, driving it's a bit diff, if your looking to get max power out of a disc pick something overstable that u can throw with 85-95% power (never go all out that's how injury's/terrible shots happen). For me the plastic is huge, anything in the higher classes of discs (esp-star) will be harder to turnover. Just try and find something you can catch a good glide on and work on building up to the more overstable top plastics (ex. star wraith-destroyer) the more you throw the power you will build up.

Well, I tried my Core just for one shot. I am trying to stay with the putters but figured, what would one drive do to me. I think I got overly excited and the one shot was a nose up craptastic turd. I didnt get my weight forward, I let my arm blast from the reach back instead of accelerating nicely like I had been doing with my putters, and pretty sure my wrist wasnt lined up. :\

At any rate; it made me perfectly content to just keep throwing the putters some more. (Putters flew about 50% further than the Core)

Latest posts