• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Often Do You Throw Your Drive from a Standstill?

XC_Eddy

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Do any of you other players find that driving from a standstill position makes a lot of sense on many shots? Do you actually drive from a standstill position? Does hole layout factor into your decision? Will you always run up on an open hole but maybe throw standstill on a wooded hole?

I've noticed lately that from a standstill I'm able to get out to about 300' consistently with fairway drivers and 225ish' with a midrange. I rarely throw distance drivers from a standstill, even in fieldwork. I've also noticed that I am more accurate and less likely to make large mistakes such as rounding.

Yet even with the above information I find myself doing at least a short x-step on 80% of my drives. Logically, this makes no sense.:wall: Is this just a bad habit that needs to die? Am I only doing an x-step on most of my drives out habit? Should I drive from a standstill on most holes under 300'? Is anyone else self-aware of their illogical shot selection?

A slow x-step seems to really help my timing. If I have to power up too much on a standstill I get all wonky.

I like a slow single step on short holes. Standstills throw my timing off. I never practice them so my hit point usually ends up late. I often practice a single step though, when working something out with my form, so that's what I go with.

I usually standstill if I'm throwing from the fairway or I'm trying to throw a hyzer line. Even when I don't have the option to do a full run up I will still step forward when I throw unless my shot is in the woods or a lie where falling/ foot faulting is possible.

It's a good option to have. I used to do it all the time, especially when there was a gap to hit. As I gained more confidence and consistency with my X-step I now prefer it for the most part to help my timing, and my aim doesn't suffer. But having the standstill option with confidence is great for if the footing isn't available for an X-step or solid weight transfer, and it's a really good way to take some distance off (10%ish for me it seems depending on disc type) without having to throw less hard.

On shorter backhand upshots, like <150' I'll pretty much standstill every time though.

I'd rather do a slow x-step as well. Helps my timing. I just played a couple rounds and was practicing some different techniques and one was trying to do a standstill more often and I just don't benefit from it. For me, I'm more likely to make mistakes with a standstill.

250 and less I'm all stand still now. I've developed a bit of a McBeth style where I'm keeping my eyes on the basket the entire time.

i just do a slow x-step, or a one step. I find the one step works great, basically a standstill but gives you the feel of finishing your xstep so you're not changing too much. I need to work on my standstill though. Apparently it's a useful thing to have...

I really only throw from a standstill from inside 120 feet or so. Outside of that I either do run-up/x-step or if it's a short hole, I take one step forward/plant. I find it hard to get my timing down on full power throws from a standstill. The step forward helps me time everything and stay smooth. When I try to throw full-power rips from a standstill, my form deteriorates and I round a lot/strongarm.

Most pitch and putt type holes I am doing a standstill. It's a super valuable shot to have imo. My logic is that if I can comfortably get it there standstill, then I should. The run up adds so many more variables to your throw.

The people that never standstill because of timing issues are the people that never practice standstills.

If you have a standstill, use it. If you don't, you should practice it.

Standstill is my preferred way to throw in general. The only time I'm doing my horrible janky step up is when I need max D. And even then the standstill is much more accurate. I should really just use it exclusively.

I've had trouble getting my plant foot exactly right and not foot-faulting. For some reason I usually end up to the right side of the lie no matter how much I try to adjust. I think it's a subconscious worry about stepping on the marker/disc.

So even in casual rounds, I've been doing standstills except for off the tee. Since I'm maxed at about 325 even with a run up :( :(, using a stand still doesn't really impact my distance that much.

My buddy 46YearOldSlinger throws every shot from a standstill and his distance does not suffer at all from when he used to use a run up and his accuracy is much better.

Personally, I have practiced both and use either depending on how far I want to throw. I generally use a slow, short 2 step walk up to protect my janky right knee on "max power" drives. On medium range shots just a single x step and on 200 feet or less I will stand still.

The stand still is much easier on my knee I have just not perfected it like Slinger. The more arthritic my knee gets the more I will stand still.

I really only throw from a standstill from inside 120 feet or so. Outside of that I either do run-up/x-step or if it's a short hole, I take one step forward/plant. I find it hard to get my timing down on full power throws from a standstill. The step forward helps me time everything and stay smooth. When I try to throw full-power rips from a standstill, my form deteriorates and I round a lot/strongarm.

Yup, that's exactly my issue.

I do this on all my long up shots and frequently on short fairway drives. The reason I started doing it was because most pros I've watched do this. It actually makes sense. Less complex.

Will Schusterick once said that he practices stand still drives. If I recall, he felt you needed really good form and timing to get good results. I find this to be true for me.

Couldn't give you a %, but I would say I do it most on shots where I don't need to go particularly far, so maybe 220' and closer, depending on the line and whatnot.

Also typically when I am throwing slower discs, putter shots, a powered down mid range shot etc.

I do use it, and I don't really actually think about it when I am doing it. Just sorta use it when it feels like it makes sense.

Really depends on the footing for me. I like to have a 'simulated' x-step where I can just to keep a rhythm to my throws if possible. On the side of a hill in a tough spot, or maybe if there's a decent bit of snow/ice down I'll consider throwing standstill, but most of the time I like to have a certain cadence to my throws.

The only situations where I'll throw from a true standstill are steep downhill shots within ~250' of total distance. These throws are more placement than anything; they require very little power. The steep downhill trajectory doesn't work with my normal run-up, and I don't really want to get momentum going if there's a drop-off at the end of the tee box.

Depending on the course, this might be a few times per round, or zero times per round.