• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Build a Bag

Going to start playing with the beginner bag suggested in the first post. I've been playing just for fun for 6 months . Want to get more serious about line shaping. How much does the weight of the OS disc like a Firebird matter? I have a 157g or a 171g Champion Firebird to go with 171g D-line FD, 177g DX Roc3 and a S Wizard.

You can't go wrong with a Garu bag!

How different do your two Firebirds fly? Probably both will be really overstable. I'd use the one that is not so much crazy overstable to have a bit more workable disc.

You might need to replace the D FD with something more stable (DX Eagle or such) if it has become too understable.

Last edited:
I havent thrown either firebirds yet. Theyre in a bag that I inherited mostly with a bunch of 9+ speed drivers from a friend who's ex left them behind. I've been able to work a dx valk from that bag pretty well but I haven't really touched anything else in there yet. Only been throwing putters, the roc3, a star mako3, the fd, and valk. The FD isnt beat yet. I was throwing the valk more.

Pick FD or Valk, whatever you like more.

Go to a practice field, throw both Firebirds straight and see which one goes further before it dumps down. Then throw them on some annies and forehands (plus overhands, skip shots, grenades, if you like) and see which one works better for you. Then bag that one. Or simply start with the lighter one.

I'd suggest you start with any Garu set of discs and play some time with it. Then occasionally swap one disc with a similar one, and see how that plays. Automatically you'll find the ones that work best for you after some time. On the way there, you'll learn the differences.

My advice is to stick with a small set of discs, not so important which ones exactly, more important to have few that you use in various ways each.

I've tried this Garu bag a few rounds now and even though I wouldn't call myself a real beginner anymore this has definitely already improved my shot shaping. Especially my FH. I'm gonna strip my bag down and then take it from there after a couple of months:

Judge
Buzzz
FD
Firebird

Adding these when I feel like it:
Getaway
Wraith

Wish I would've found this thread sooner, and then after finding it I wish I would've listened to it right away...

Nice man. Building a bag this way has helped me immensely.
One bit of advice on FH...I'd recommend learning to flick that Judge and FD at least as much as the firebird. It's easy to develop a lot of OAT if you only flick a super beefy disc

Nice man. Building a bag this way has helped me immensely.
One bit of advice on FH...I'd recommend learning to flick that Judge and FD at least as much as the firebird. It's easy to develop a lot of OAT if you only flick a super beefy disc

Funny you should say that, only this morning I was flicking the Buzzz and realizing that it worked very well as long as my form was on point. I'm definitely gonna work on flicking my straighter discs more :)

Funny you should say that, only this morning I was flicking the Buzzz and realizing that it worked very well as long as my form was on point. I'm definitely gonna work on flicking my straighter discs more :)

Nice! Judges are great to flick as well. Probably the strongest part of my scramble game is that I practice flicking my putter from all sorts of awkward positions. Really comes in handy when I find myself under a cedar tree which happens way to often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kid you guys not, yesterday I read this thread to try and help minimalize my bag, then walked into a second hand store to look for a mirror and walked out with a dx gazelle, an old polaris ls and an x line buzz. It's almost spooky.

Amazing thread. SO thankful that I discovered it today after starting playing last September. I caught the fever and went out and bought the pro bag and about 20 discs designed to fill certain criteria. Being that 2021 is my first real year of playing, I'm building a bag as suggested and sticking to it for the entire year. Using what I've already bought:

Pig for putting since I like the feel and the thumb track. (I also have a Challenger and Challenger SS in Pro-D plastic, and a Sensei, 2 Wizards, and a Fierce in Pro-D, among other putters)

Barham Tour Series Buzzz SS for mid (also have a Z Buzzz and an ESP Buzzz as options)(Goodbye Drone lol)

For drivers I have a choice of either an Undertaker in Pro-D, a Barry Schultz Champion Leopard, or a Teebird 3 in what is I think a Star plastic.

So now I have to figure out which of these will be what I'm using for all of this year, with some guidance. If it helps, I've already noticed that my discs are beginning to fly straight (Buzzz in particular) and not over to the extreme left as they did when I first began. I'm starting to experiment with adding hyzer and anhyzer and flip and flex shots as of last month. Now is the perfect time to pare the bag back.

For drivers I have a choice of either an Undertaker in Pro-D, a Barry Schultz Champion Leopard, or a Teebird 3 in what is I think a Star plastic.

Sorry to respond a couple months late but if you're still trying to decide I would probably have gone with the Leopard. I have one in pro and it actually flies pretty stable so I would imagine in Champ plastic it's a pretty straight shooter.

Wish I would have found this thread a year ago though! I went out and bought about 50+ discs to try out and found another half dozen or so that were unmarked or the owners told me to keep.

I'm going to try to stick to 4 discs and am going with...

SSS Wizard
DX Cobra
Icon Patriot
Z Raptor

I know it's not following the advice to the letter but I really like putting with soft putters and all my baseline drivers are beat to a pulp from tree shots.

Think I'll try this as well. I've been throwing mostly understable stuff in straight lines for easy distance. When I try stable/overstable discs I seem to be on a hyzer by default.

Would this be a good setup?

Putter: Reko K1 170g
Mid: Reactor Eclipse 2.0 177g
Fairway: TL3 Star 175g
OS Fairway: Banshee Champion 172g

I throw putters around 200'
Mids: 240'
Fairways: Around 280'+ (more understabile stuff)

I play a lot of wooded courses with tunnels so I've grown to dislike fade.

TL3 is probably faster than I'd recommend if you are maxing out at 280ish with fairways. My suggestion would be to work on throwing mids and putters until you are getting that mid out to 300 ish. I've never thrown a reactor, but it looks like it's a 5/5, so it should be going 300 no problem with form improvements.

Fwiw, I always recommend innova for beginners simply because factory seconds are so cheap and dx is perfect baseline plastic for learning how seasoning affects discs. The discs you listed are fine, but idk what it would cost to get a stack of say 10 reactors to bring out to the field , where as 10 dx Rocs or sharks as Factory seconds would be around $50

TL3 is probably faster than I'd recommend if you are maxing out at 280ish with fairways. My suggestion would be to work on throwing mids and putters until you are getting that mid out to 300 ish. I've never thrown a reactor, but it looks like it's a 5/5, so it should be going 300 no problem with form improvements.

Fwiw, I always recommend innova for beginners simply because factory seconds are so cheap and dx is perfect baseline plastic for learning how seasoning affects discs. The discs you listed are fine, but idk what it would cost to get a stack of say 10 reactors to bring out to the field , where as 10 dx Rocs or sharks as Factory seconds would be around $50

Thanks!

F2actually costs the same over here. Maybe a dollar off tops.

I've got more mids and putters I could do field work with though.

The Reactor is stable to overstable. Flies straight but with a solid fade. TL3 is straighter for me thrown flat.

I could maybe swap the TL3 with either a DX Roc, Gote or Mako3 until I improve my distance.

I'm a new disc golfer who fell down the disc buying rabbit hole hard, and I'm trying to step back for a bit and learn like this thread lays out. I'll be going with:

Putter: Westside Maiden in BT Medium (I've found I have a strong preference for shallow putters and there aren't too many overstable ones. The Envy was the other major contender.)

Mid: Latitude 64 Fuse in Gold-X (I also considered the Latitude 64 Trust but decided to stick with the less stable option as it seemed like it might show me more form errors?)

Neutral Fairway: Latitude 64 River in Opto Glimmer

Overstable Fairway: Latitude 64 Glory in Royal Grand

I have found I really like the feel of Latitude 64 discs, so I tried to keep this focused in that way. I could've done a similar bag in MVP I guess as I also really like their discs, but Latitude 64 is the brand I started with, so in the interest of going back to basics that's where I went.

I've played one round so far with this bag and I do really appreciate the focus on a couple of discs making me think about my form. Looking forward to continuing to grow with this approach!

Latest posts