• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to Build a Bag

Forgot to mention how far I throw. I throw 150' to 200' consistently, fairly straight. I also know I throw with OAT. I am hoping if I cut my bag down to my level, it will help me fix that.

Wished I would have known all this when I started, it would have saved me a few years and a lot of money on noodle arm uderstable discs trying to get a few more feet out of my throws.

No, I had to learn by experience and now the only understable discs I own are a Panther and a Valkyrie that I use for specific shots.

^This method is a really solid way to build a bag from complete scratch and help you learn line shaping with fewer discs in addition to how discs season in.

As a side project I started with a S Wizard, Dx Shark, Dx EX and Dx Banshee and worked with them for a few weeks until they had some seasoning then tweaked it to my full time use bag:

Glow Champ Firebird - overstable utility
SPD - overstable driver
Pro Valk - max D

Dx Teebird - straight control
Dx EX - line shaping

Dx Roc - overstable mid
Dx Shark -seasoned mid

S Wizards (3) - 2 putters and a seasoned thrower

It's been a really cool learning experience.

Wished I would have known all this when I started, it would have saved me a few years and a lot of money on noodle arm uderstable discs trying to get a few more feet out of my throws.

No, I had to learn by experience and now the only understable discs I own are a Panther and a Valkyrie that I use for specific shots.

I feel the same way. Reading this thread right off the bat would have saved me a ton of trouble.

For chits and giggles, I went out today and played a round with nothing but a Judge, Truth, Eagle "X" and a Firebird. Tied my "full bag" best score at my local course. Might have beat it if I had a longer driver for two of the holes where I couldn't quite make it past the trouble spots with the Eagle.

Definitely an eye opener, think it's time to simplify my bag a little.

For chits and giggles, I went out today and played a round with nothing but a Judge, Truth, Eagle "X" and a Firebird. Tied my "full bag" best score at my local course. Might have beat it if I had a longer driver for two of the holes where I couldn't quite make it past the trouble spots with the Eagle.

Definitely an eye opener, think it's time to simplify my bag a little.

I did that for awhile, then recently bumped it up to it's second stage, I'd guess you'd call it and replaced the mid I was using.

GlowChamp Firebird
Champ Thunderbird
2 x Pro Valkyries

Champ Teebird
Dx Teebird
Dx E-X

M Aurora MS

4 Wizards - 2 putting, 1 seasoned thrower, 1 fresh thrower

*Not missing a shot and the only thing I might add is a QMS.

I can't wait to read all this, looks interesting! BUT, with a high-level background in sports, tennis, basketball, baseball, table tennis & boxing, I'd say most overthink it. Keep it simple, use what you can & disregard what is not useful or doesn't pertain to you. Many need to go out & see what & what doesn't work. Info overload can break one down mentally..last thing you need is the yelps while putting! Have fun & play like you don't care! You do care..but you don't. :-D

I plan to thin out my discs from 12-9,

Speed Manufacturer Name Stability Plastic
P/A Innova Aviar Stable Champ
P/A Innova Dart Understable DX
P/A Westside Shield Stable BT Medium
4 Innova Roc Stable Champ
5 Latitude 64 Claymore Stable Recycled
7 Innova Teebird Stable DX
8 Dynamic Thief Understable Biofusion
9 Innova Valkyrie Understable DX
12 DGA Hurricane Stable NA
12 Innova Destroyer Overstable Star
13 Innova Boss Overstable Star
? Quest T-Bone Overstable Nike

Gonna lose the 12's and 13's until I get my form improved.

I wish I would have seen this a looooong time ago. About a year and a half ago, I decided to clean my bag and ended up with a Focus, a Buzzz, a Meteor (hey, I love my rollers) and a Stalker. Everything about my game had improved immensely just using those discs. I was aghast at how bad my form had gotten because I was using discs that were too big for me. I cannot stress how much worse understable wander is due to OAT than dying out early. This is something I could have avoided entirely if I learned how to throw properly. Lately, I have added a Hornet (I was thinking along the same lines as your Predator/Firebird suggestion; I was just scarred to go that BIG yet) and a Heat which replaced the Meteor (hey, I still love my rollers and the Heat lets them go further; the Heat and Meteor are also great "get me out of here discs"). I may get over my fear and just bag the Predator. The Hornet has been a lifesaver at times and has really helped me develop conservative play. I tend to pull it out when I'm unsure about a shot because I know I can throw it dead straight and it will just fade at the end. There's no surprises and surprises usually mean understable wander.

So, now my bag consists of 2 Focus, 2 Buzzz, 2 Stalkers, 1 Hornet, 1 Heat.

I would also add that bagging 2 of your favorite discs should be stressed. I always like having copies ready to go should I lose one.

I'm throwing my Stalkers about 320 consistently, but I'm kind of wondering what the value of a Avenger type overstable disc is? Why would I choose that before I would go for a Speed 9 Valkyrie style disc for a tiny bit of extra distance on open shots?

Is a putter always a putter or just the name it was given?

I generally only want to putt with a single putter but am carrying another for driving and approaches. found out pretty quick that no matter where I place that on the upshot, I don't want to putt with it because just the difference in carry affected how high/low I would pitch at the basket.

Originally the putter was just a Disc Golf Disc. They were given that name after they came out with what are now mid range then called driving discs, not driver discs. The Putter/approach disc then came out after the mid range, then driving disc came out. In 1991 the driver came out as a disc with the Eagle being one of the first, then the discs that were driving discs became mid ranges.

What about this:

Discraft Avenger SS
Discraft Archer
MVP Volt
Innova Roc3
Innova Roc
MVP Vector
Innova Aviar
MVP Ion

Pro/Cons of using these in a first bag?

What about this:

Discraft Avenger SS
Discraft Archer
MVP Volt
Innova Roc3
Innova Roc
MVP Vector
Innova Aviar
MVP Ion

Read the first post! It suggested starting with no more than four molds. You ask about using eight molds in a first bag. That's not exactly what this thread is about (although it might be a good bag).

Pick the four discs that match Garu's categories and start with them. You can add more molds later, when you know you need them.

Read the first post! It suggested starting with no more than four molds. You ask about using eight molds in a first bag. That's not exactly what this thread is about (although it might be a good bag).

Pick the four discs that match Garu's categories and start with them. You can add more molds later, when you know you need them.

Meillo, for your information, I did read the original post. My query was specific to the pros and cons of having only four molds in a bag.

What about this:

Discraft Avenger SS
Discraft Archer
MVP Volt
Innova Roc3
Innova Roc
MVP Vector
Innova Aviar
MVP Ion

Pros: Avenger ss is understable, Aviar and ion are great putters, the roc is a great midrange.

Cons: Roc3 might be a little too overstable for you

The other discs I have mixed opinions about.

Okay. So if I bag (for my first 18-hole round) the Discraft Avenger SS, Innova Roc, Innova Aviar as my approach/upshot/lay-up putter, and my Ion as my putting putter, then I should be all set.

Okay. So if I bag (for my first 18-hole round) the Discraft Avenger SS, Innova Roc, Innova Aviar as my approach/upshot/lay-up putter, and my Ion as my putting putter, then I should be all set.

That would be similar to my starting bag, although my driver was slower than the Avenger SS. Mine was M JLS (160g), Z Buzzz (max weight), Discraft Challenger for upshots and Omega Super Soft for putts.

Don't overlook the fact that weights really matter when starting out. I chose lighter weight drivers so that I could get them up to speed easier but heavier midrange and approach discs because I got better consistency with my release. Accuracy is more important than distance for those shots. .....well maybe all shots but you know what i mean.

P.S. I could still play a satisfactory round with that bag as long as there was little to no wind.

Last edited:
That would be similar to my starting bag, although my driver was slower than the Avenger SS. Mine was M JLS (160g), Z Buzzz (max weight), Discraft Challenger for upshots and Omega Super Soft for putts.

Don't overlook the fact that weights really matter when starting out. I chose lighter weight drivers so that I could get them up to speed easier but heavier midrange and approach discs because I got better consistency with my release. Accuracy is more important than distance for those shots. .....well maybe all shots but you know what i mean.

P.S. I could still play a satisfactory round with that bag as long as there was little to no wind.

Curtis_Valk, yes, I am well aware that weight plays an important role.:thmbup:

I think using a speed 6-7 driver like a JLS, TL, FD, Patriot, Leopard, etc. would be better than an Avenger SS. Avenger SS is fast enough that it may me uncontrollable as you're starting out, and then once you've increased your distance it will be pretty flippy. The discs I mentioned above are more useful across a variety of distances and skill levels.

I think using a speed 6-7 driver like a JLS, TL, FD, Patriot, Leopard, etc. would be better than an Avenger SS. Avenger SS is fast enough that it may me uncontrollable as you're starting out, and then once you've increased your distance it will be pretty flippy. The discs I mentioned above are more useful across a variety of distances and skill levels.

I think that's an error that many beginners, including myself, make - when I picked up an Avenger SS, expecting it to be a speed 6 or 7, only to find out too late find out it was a speed 10 (clearly the product of too much experimentation and not enough research). I've since ordered myself a Leopard in DX plastic in an attempt to bring myself back to where I should be at this point.

I hate that Academy pulled Millennium discs from their lineup. They used to keep good quantities of Polaris and JLS, which are the best beginner drivers next to the Leopard.

Now it's just a bunch of Dynamic Discs **** that nobody should ever throw.

Last edited:

Latest posts