• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to cope with the heat?

Dress light, don't wear cotton.

As Brad said, I also like to carry some towels around. Usually I just keep one damp towel to wipe off sweat with. If it's a tournament, I actually carry three. One damp one to wipe off any sweat/dirt off the disc, one dry one to dry off the disc, and another damp one to wipe my hands and face with (don't want that same sweat going on discs later). If it's a really hot day I will dip a towel in cold water and drape it over my head. I guess towels are just important for my game on the really hot days as they are on rainy days.

As always, don't forget to stay hydrated. I go through about 1 or 2 32oz Gatorades per 18 holes on really hot days.

Last but not least, try to find shade where you can. No reason to stand out baking in the sun while waiting for someone in your group to make their shot. Even if it means going out of your way a bit, it helps in the long run.

No monster energy drinks? :D

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I thought I saw something on here a while back about a dude designing an indoor course. I'm to lazy to look, it's hot out. I bet that course outside of St. Louis in the cave is nice and cool, I need to check that one out.

I live and play in Central Texas, its very hot here most of the year. Here are a few tips I have picked up.

1. Sweat bands (wrist, forearm)
2. Hat, it makes your body temp go up a bit but its worth it to keep the sun off you.
3. get your hand dirty before each throw, rub it in the dirt/dust. It will soak up the sweat and dry off your hands.
4. Extra towels, wipe down your arms and face a lot.
5. Water, lots of water. If I am playing anythime from 10a-8p (90 degrees +) I am downing 2 nelgens or 64oz of water.
6. Pre hydrate, drink water before you go to the course.
7. If you are getting in more than one round, drink gatorade to replenish much needed nutirents.
8. DRI-FIT, I cant stress enough the importance of wearing Dri-fit clothes. Pants, shirt, underwear. All of your clothing should be dri-fit, it reduces the weight of your clothes by not holding any of it close to your body like cotton does. It breathes the best, doesnt hold moisture, and allows you to wear the same clothes and not look like you jumped in the pond.
9. Always find the shade, if its hot stay under the trees as much as possible. if you need to walk 50ft while your group putts out, do it. That few extra minutes out of the sun makes a difference.
10. When it comes down to it, the final step is to just get out and play in it. Ya the heat sucks but so does the cold, its nature learn to cope a bit better and it wont bother you so much.

i drink water before during and after a round. I keep a wet towel around my neck. if need be will use the towel to wipe sweat from my face. i have occasionally soaked my t shirt before starting a round. played the front nine t shirt was dry so i soaked it again to play the back nine. the breeze felt good against the wet t shirt. when i get back to the car i will dump a bottle or two of water on my head to help try to cool me down.

I'm surprised no one has said ...

Stay outa tha kitchen! ...

I kid I kid.

I find "Frogg Toggs" helpful when it's hott
CP100.jpg

Lots of excellent advice in this thread. One bit of advice about tournaments, all the excessive standing and waiting can really take it out of you and leave you fatigued towards the end. Get a camp time stool, they're well worth the money.

Be sure to use sun screen on the back of your neck, face, ears and arms,

I work outside. Here's what I've learned. (That I haven't seen mentioned.)

Taking aspirin before you get hot helps keep you from getting a headache. Citrus works too. I like lime-aid with minimal sugar.

More than one quart of Gator-aid is not good on the kidneys. I'll make a quart last all day by drinking water too. (Not iced cold and don't chug.) If you aren't peeing, you're not drinking enough.

Body powder for your feet and crotch. I buy Gold bond Ultimate but some of my co-workers like a brand called Fresh Balls. (When I work I wear wool socks and boots. When I golf it's cotton socks and tennies.)

^^^^^^
This is real advice here on the Gatorade. Everyone needs to stop and think about how much they are drinking of this stuff. I worked a few triathlons in the medical tent and 8 out of 10 people would come in with electrolyte imbalances because they were primarily drinking Gatorade. Water is your best friend and I for one find that super-cold water can sometimes have a negative effect on your body in the extreme heat. If you can learn to drink temperate/warm water your body will metabolize it better. The more you drink the better you will feel. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol and cigarettes, all these things will take everything out of you. I don't drink beer when I'm on the course but I will smoke and every time I know it's gonna drag me down and it does.

Also, I can't stress this enough, don't pour cold water on the back of your head near your neck to cool down. This will produce a negative effect on your body and can ultimately make you feel much worse in the long run. I learned this after years of working outside in this kinda heat from some old-time laborers and it seemed counter-intuitive but it really matters. The bodies thermo-regulatory system is located at the back of the brain and by pouring cold water on that portion of your head in this heat it does produces an instant feeling of refreshment but it isn't good for you to keep doing that unless you start feeling like you have heat exhaustion or heat stroke and then I would say go for it by all means. If your not super-heated and delirious avoid doing it.

It's always good to wear wide rim hats, I normally wear a Bonnie Hat with a Chill-It's bandanna. Chill-It's are a great little item that cost's about 5 bucks, soak it in cold water and it's good for over 12 hours and it will keep your forehead nice and cool unlike conventional bandannas.

Wear dri-fits if you got them and always go for light colored clothing. I sweat big time and I often will have a few t-shirts with me if I'm gonna play multiple rounds so I can change them. If your playing in certain areas you may need to wear pants, I normally wear jeans to avoid poison ivy/oak/sumac in wooded courses and boots to avoid snakes after I had a run in with a rattle snake years ago.

Eat well before you intend to go out in this weather, not eating enough and having low blood sugar will take away all your energy. Bring some fruit with you like an apple or granola, they can keep well in this heat and are convenient.

One thing that I do if I have been inside all day and I intend to go and play, on my way to the course I will not run the AC at all so I can start getting used to the heat.

Also warming up before you play is a good idea so you don't cramp up right away.

Just my advice and adding to what others have already said.

I'm surprised no one has said ...

Stay outa tha kitchen! ...

I kid I kid.

I find "Frogg Toggs" helpful when it's hott
CP100.jpg

I am very curious about Frogtoggs. Gottafixit uses these when he plays and I am tempted to buy one. Is it comfortable to have the wet rag on you? does it cool you down sufficiently?

^^^^^^
This is real advice here on the Gatorade. Everyone needs to stop and think about how much they are drinking of this stuff. I worked a few triathlons in the medical tent and 8 out of 10 people would come in with electrolyte imbalances because they were primarily drinking Gatorade. Water is your best friend and I for one find that super-cold water can sometimes have a negative effect on your body in the extreme heat. If you can learn to drink temperate/warm water your body will metabolize it better. The more you drink the better you will feel. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol and cigarettes, all these things will take everything out of you. I don't drink beer when I'm on the course but I will smoke and every time I know it's gonna drag me down and it does.

Also, I can't stress this enough, don't pour cold water on the back of your head near your neck to cool down. This will produce a negative effect on your body and can ultimately make you feel much worse in the long run. I learned this after years of working outside in this kinda heat from some old-time laborers and it seemed counter-intuitive but it really matters. The bodies thermo-regulatory system is located at the back of the brain and by pouring cold water on that portion of your head in this heat it does produces an instant feeling of refreshment but it isn't good for you to keep doing that unless you start feeling like you have heat exhaustion or heat stroke and then I would say go for it by all means. If your not super-heated and delirious avoid doing it.

It's always good to wear wide rim hats, I normally wear a Bonnie Hat with a Chill-It's bandanna. Chill-It's are a great little item that cost's about 5 bucks, soak it in cold water and it's good for over 12 hours and it will keep your forehead nice and cool unlike conventional bandannas.

Wear dri-fits if you got them and always go for light colored clothing. I sweat big time and I often will have a few t-shirts with me if I'm gonna play multiple rounds so I can change them. If your playing in certain areas you may need to wear pants, I normally wear jeans to avoid poison ivy/oak/sumac in wooded courses and boots to avoid snakes after I had a run in with a rattle snake years ago.

Eat well before you intend to go out in this weather, not eating enough and having low blood sugar will take away all your energy. Bring some fruit with you like an apple or granola, they can keep well in this heat and are convenient.

One thing that I do if I have been inside all day and I intend to go and play, on my way to the course I will not run the AC at all so I can start getting used to the heat.

Also warming up before you play is a good idea so you don't cramp up right away.

Just my advice and adding to what others have already said.

I had the opposite happen. I have ended up in the hospital twice because I drank nothing but water and sweat so much that I hit electrolyte depletion. IT IS PAINFUL. your muscles start cramping into odd shapes uncontrolably.

I had the opposite happen. I have ended up in the hospital twice because I drank nothing but water and sweat so much that I hit electrolyte depletion. IT IS PAINFUL. your muscles start cramping into odd shapes uncontrolably.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here. But, I watched this happen with world class athletes and damn near everyone of them that came in had an imbalance and they can start acting odd the worse it is and can border on acting drunk. Now, that being said, these people were not likely going to have an electrolyte depletion because how they prepare for these events.

Your situation isn't uncommon, but likely stems from not having an adequate amount of food/nutrition in your body to begin with at those particular times that this occurred. In essence you flushed out everything in your body, but if you were in a state of depletion nutritionally speaking that can happen quickly. I have seen this when I was paramedic and many times it had to do with a poor diet.

Now I'm not saying stay away from Gatorade or similar products. I'm just cautioning people that too much isn't a good thing and to use it judiciously. A lot of people drink way too much of this when they probably don't need it at all. This message is more for the habitual drinker of this stuff and that forgoes water in lieu of Gatorade.

1.) Wear thick wool sweaters.
2.) Don't forget your long johns.
3.) Hand warmers are always clutch.
4.) Drink lots of coffee or hot chocolate.

try cutting your sports drinks and juices with water ( like 1to1) you still need the carbs and vitamins

also potassium for cramps( bananas , avocodos)

Latest posts