• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to help a beginner learn

mhough

I'm looking for advice on how to help my buddy learn the game from the ground up. He's been out a few times with me and has some natural aptitude. Now he's wanting to do field work and I want to make sure he's practicing the right things.

I have been reading the various posts on backhand technique this year and incorporating the concepts into my throw. After almost 20 years of rounding, it's hard to unlearn bad habits, but I'm improving both distance and accuracy. I want to give my buddy some tips so that he doesn't have the same 20 year learning curve that I've had.

I'm thinking that he should start with the Beto video and do field work based on that. Then, I will introduce him to the hammer drills and some of the threads that have been helpful to me on here, including concepts like:

The rail diagram
closed shoulder drill

What thoughts can other add that might help? Thanks

IMO the closed shoulder drill should be a prerequisite to the Beto vid. One of the best things you can do is to take video and review it and see what you are actually doing vs what the top pros do. Stick to throwing neutral/stable putters, mids, and fairway drivers.