• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hucker Magazine

Curious about their affiliation to manufacturers. I'd probably not be interested if it was a discraft or discmania or lat only type of thing but if they aren't affiliated and plan to review all discs and all players bags etc then that could be very cool. So I guess if the professor is the beard then they are probably getting content from everywhere. If not then that first issue seems to be an innova/discmania heavy affiliation and I can just watch spin tv for that content.

The graphical style looks similar to UB Disc Golf. They also made a Facebook post looking for "the best disc golf photographers". Maybe they are expanding and looking for photographers to add content to their magazine. Pure speculation.

They still make magazines anymore? I'm in for print or digital!

I was thinking the same thing. Unless I'm getting on an airplane, I have no use for an actual hard print magazine.

Well...I take that back. The SI Swimsuit edition is good bathroom fodder.

Seems absolutely INSANE that anybody in 2013 would focus on a print-only product. Especially when the audience they are targeting is realistically numbered in the thousands (not even tens of thousands). You cannot pay for high-quality magazine print with those kind of subscriber numbers without charging premium prices.

I guess all it takes these days is a poorly Photochopped mock cover to get people lined up to subscribe. Amazing how desperate DG'ers are for any form of professional 'coverage' surrounding the sport.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Unless I'm getting on an airplane, I have no use for an actual hard print magazine.

You make that one mag last all year, hopefully once a day? Maybe all you young cats take your phones to read? :gross:

You don't even need it then. Electronic devices are allowed to stay on all flight now.

The graphical style looks similar to UB Disc Golf. They also made a Facebook post looking for "the best disc golf photographers". Maybe they are expanding and looking for photographers to add content to their magazine. Pure speculation.

Huckersmagazine.com is registered to a Phillip Murray from Louisiana.
Phillip Murray is on UB Disc Golf's team.

Meulen, you sir are on to something.

Next time you have to take a little unplanned trip off of the fairway in the middle of a round a print version of that mag would be a lot handier than your smart phone. :D

TMI :sick:

I wish they would put a picture of Avery in a shirt that looks more professional and not covered in wrinkles. It's the cover! Step it up a notch.

I wish they would put a picture of Avery in a shirt that looks more professional and not covered in wrinkles. It's the cover! Step it up a notch.

Bringing Haute Couture sensibilities to Disc Golf is gonna be a tough road ;)

I'm guessing no shirt would please most female readers.

If they want this to be better than the last 2 Disc Golf groups of players as the head magazine guys - no matter who is on the cover - they need these three words BADLY.....

ED-IT-OR

The Cali mag with the Ricos and Harold Hampton (all GREAT guys and all friends) had so many errors in each of the first 2 issues it would take an entire magazine to run a correction column.....and then while tons better (by those low standards) the Pennsylvania disaster Disc Golf magazine was also badly written and edited and thankfully short lived......

All 3 versions of Rothsteins mags (while having glaring errors in some issues) are still the best COLOR magazines done for Disc Golf with Disc Golf Journal (Rest in Peace) being far and away the best print magazine that I've seen on the sport since I took it up in 1995.......

Editors / fact checkers / copy writers all cost money.

Disc Golf has skated by for quite some time by having professional people working for free/peanuts because they have 'passion' for the sport/game. Passion doesn't pay the bills.

Until somebody is serious enough to make an investment and not immediately try and recoup said investment from the community :):cough, discgolfplanet.tv, cough::)... I think we'll be stuck with (and have to accept) content that lacks the final polish of a real magazine/newspaper/website.