• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer Flip Disc?

well like i said before . . . i think i just need to get out and experiment with some slower drivers and really beat in my pro wraiths in the mean time.

As for RevMatty. . . you got it brother. . .GO BUCS!!!!

I always assumed this was because I was getting just enough power for it to start turning slightly so it maintains its angle longer.

You're absolutely correct. Without getting into the annoyingly long physics answer - the disc will fly straight when the spin is sufficient to keep it stable. Too much spin will cause it to flip (turn right, RHBH) and too little will cause it to fade. By hyzer-flipping a disc you are placing the disc in it's optimum stability range for the longest possible period of time.

Obviously each disc has it's own range of optimal spin - that's why we have terms like "over-stable" and "under-stable."

R-Pro Boss
Champ Wraith
Champ Groove

Those are my best hyzer flip discs, average around 450'. I actually have a nicely beat in Star XCalibur that I can hyzer flip as well.

The hyzer flip makes a nice line in some situations too. Problem is I haven't got the angle down quite right so I've been kind of inconsistent with them.
I was using a star-roadrunner today, if I get it high enough and put enough angle the things flies forever.

Monarch, Sidewinder, TL, Valk. Even my beat in Champ Wraith flips nicely.

Has anyone tried to Hyzer flip a Leopard? I have a 150 class Leopard but I'm wondering if anyone uses a heavier one (around 170-175ish) to hyzer flip
for shorter holes where i dont want so much hook at the end my 169 champ lep works good for hyzer flips , past 250 its hard not to hyzer flip it but its still pretty new so its comes back . The JLS(175) which is like a faster lep will hyzer flip past 300 for me , then if i need a longer than the JLSs H.F. ill use a valk

My Champion Sidewinder, DX Leopard and DX Cheetah started flipping for me before I even realized what was happening. I thought I was making really awful throws. Then I realized that the discs were flipping (doing what they're supposed to do).

Now that I've actually learned to throw a Hyzer Flip, my 150 Champ Valkyrie is my disc of choice for the shot. And I'm actually starting to flip my Wraiths a little now.

I think that it's kind of a progression. For me, anyway, as my form gets better, I've been able to flip more stable discs. And I lighter weight discs also have a tendency to flip easier for me.

I read somebody posted recently that the cousin of a hyzer flip is called a "flex shot." Can someone explain to me what this flex shot is?

Flex shot, also called a helix or S-curve, is best achieved when throwing a disc with a fair amount of fade. The disc is thrown anhyzer so that it spends the first part of flight going right (RHBH), then stables out straight and fades to the left to conclude its flight.

Crap! People hyzer-flipping a boss?

Even real light ones I am suprised. The disc that I have been able to do it with well is a 150 Valk, that has hit some trees HARD before I discovered it at least.

I got a 150 Leopard comming that hopefully I can do it out of the box as my Valk is starting to finnish to the right. I really want to get this down. lol

I can't imagine flipping a boss. I do have a 168 pro destroyer that goes right if I throw a hyzer or flat. I have landed under the pin right at 390 a few times with it...but that is exceptional. It isn't that beat in and I am not sure if it is just the weight or what on that disc. No way I could do it with champ plastic.

Easiest disc ever to hyzer-flip is the Latitude 64 Vision. Even when I give it an extreme hyzer angle it will still flip over and go right, which is not exactly what I want, but still it's the easiest disc to do hyzer-flip with because it's impossible to throw it any other way.

Crap! People hyzer-flipping a boss?

Even real light ones I am suprised. The disc that I have been able to do it with well is a 150 Valk, that has hit some trees HARD before I discovered it at least.

I got a 150 Leopard comming that hopefully I can do it out of the box as my Valk is starting to finnish to the right. I really want to get this down. lol

The R-pro boss is very different from the regular one. 2 or 3 trees and just about anyone can flip it. It took 1 tree to break in and 3 to beat in. By 5 it was useless. Soft plastic and drivers don't mix well.