• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer-Flip

Murderous Monkey

Eagle Member
Alright, I'm just going to do it. I searched here and online and most people just mention it or there is a video of someone "doing it" not much else. So my question is...

What is a hyzer-flip and how would I go about doing it? I know you're supposed to hyzer-flip a disc and it will give you more distance. Fine and dandy, but what do you actually do?

Thanks guys!

Release a neutral or understable disc on a hyzer angle so that it will flip flat.

Throw either a more understable disc than you usually use or a beat up version of it. For example, if you are throwing TeeBirds for max distance, either get a DX TeeBird and beat the heck out of it, or try a DX Leopard or Pro Leopard.

When you have your "flippy" disc, throw it on a hyzer at the gap you are trying to hit. It should "flip" up to flat, and maybe turn a little, and then fly straight. For some people, it is easier to throw this shot for straight distance rather than throwing a more stable disc flat.

For me personally, I get my max distance with my Axis and my FR Boss by throwing them on a slight hyzer, having them flatten out, carry for 70% of their flight, and then fade predictably. Everyone throws differently and you need to find what works for you. Hyzer flipping can be touchy because you have to change your angle of release, as well as your disc, to get the desired shot.

Okay, so I think I understand the want for a hyzer flip. Throw the disc through the air so it's diagonal (hyzered), then it flips to parallel to the ground to gain more ground, and then it finishes. So essentially instead of having it use its glide being parallel to the ground for the duration of the flight, it begins the flight by getting more air and then hits the decline with the parallel?

Is that the gist of it? And if so, does that time flying diagonal (hyzered) produce a marked increase in distance?

I personally don't think so. I think it is a different kind of shot, and useful for line shaping, but no real increase in distance. Some might feel differently. If you gain 20' extra from hyzer-flipping, I won't call you a liar. Go out in the field and try it out

Okay, so I think I understand the want for a hyzer flip. Throw the disc through the air so it's diagonal (hyzered), then it flips to parallel to the ground to gain more ground, and then it finishes. So essentially instead of having it use its glide being parallel to the ground for the duration of the flight, it begins the flight by getting more air and then hits the decline with the parallel?

Is that the gist of it? And if so, does that time flying diagonal (hyzered) produce a marked increase in distance?

You are basically using the energy that would have caused the disc to turn (hst) to "flip" the disc parallel to the ground. As we all know the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, you're simply straightening out your line and creating glide.

A dx beast will perform this perfectly right out of the box (for me anyway). In my experience most people will throw the disc too high and lose the effect of the flip. Throw the disc hard and flat and let the flip give you the desired height on your throw. Best thing to do is go to the field and throw this shot a bunch of different ways. You will figure out exactly how much hyzer is needed for each disc to take advantage of this shot.

I personally don't think so. I think it is a different kind of shot, and useful for line shaping, but no real increase in distance. Some might feel differently. If you gain 20' extra from hyzer-flipping, I won't call you a liar. Go out in the field and try it out

Exactly what I gained from this using this shot. However like nos said it allows you to use an understable disc on holes that you normally would not have the room to allow the disc to take its normal flight path. It may or may not increase your distance, but adds another shot to your arsenal. If you're fairly new to the game or don't have a strong arm you can try using a stingray as well.

Good discs to start learning hyzer flips with (new not beat):

Latitude 64 Vision
Discraft SS Avenger
Innova Sidewinder

the point of the hyzer flip is to gain more distance and also to throw straight, really far. like on a wooded course with a 400', 20' wide fairway.

some people can easily deuce that kind of hole with say a leopard or roadrunner on a hyzer flip line.

Hyzer flips sometimes add a little extra distance because it's easier to throw higher on a hyzer angle than it is flat. So you throw a high hyzer straight out ahead of you, but instead of going right to left like a hyzer should it flattens out to account for the high speed turn that's kicked in. Throwing it on a hyzer angle means that you can get the disc 25-30 feet in the air nose down, maintaining the disc's speed and giving it more time to turn and flex out because of the added height.

Hyzer flips are also good in the woods, as others have said, because they are so straight with minimal fade. You've got to be very confident in the shot though to use it in the woods--practice with a lot of open sky first.

I think a hyzer flip is a difficult shot to learn. In the beginning, you learn to throw consistently straight plane, anhyzer, and hyzer. Then you can learn to work the discs a bit more to throw turnovers, flex shots, and hyzer flips which are all touchy shots and force you to learn your discs in conjunction with body angles, arm speed, etc. The only way to learn is practice: take a flippy disc (I use a Leopard, Sidewinder, or Comet, all seasoned in) and throw it straight ahead of you on a hyzer angle. It's possible to throw hyzers with these discs too by throwing the disc on a sweeping right to left line but that's not what you want. Throw it in front of you, on a hyzer angle and it will flip and go flat or turn. If it doesn't and hyzers out, you picked the wrong disc or just didn't throw hard enough. If you threw a stable disc that has no turn on this same shot, you would get a hyzer that goes way left of your target, with with the counterbalance of an understable discs tendency to go right, it will equalize and go straight.

Another way to see a hyzer flip is to throw a lid, like an Ultrastar, on a straight ahead hyzer with some snap. They will flip and ride on a sweet line. I don't play ultimate, so I'm no authority, but I can't throw a lid 250' without hyzer flipping it. Also, playing catch with someone who's a football field away may be the most fun way of working on your form.

I first learned to hyzer flip while playing ultimate. Low, fast, and hard to block. With a little snap you can hyzer flip an ultimate disc for most of the length of the field. I use my River, Eagle and Roadrunners on a hyzer flip for tight wooded holes. I really don't see a massive increase in distance, and what increase I do see might be best attributed to the fact that I feel more comfortable throwing a flip than a flat shot, and so might be putting better form and power into the shot.

Hyzer flips do indeed seem to be the longest distance shot you can throw with the right disc (not including rollers) because they are able to stay in flight for so long to take full advantage of the forward momentum, but they do have a huge downside: They are a LOT harder to control due to having to use understable discs to achieve them.

The reason they stay in flight for so long is because you throw them low, as they flip up they gain height and then once they start fading they gain even more height. All of this is going on while the disc is staying flatter for longer since you are allowing it to do a lot of flexing.

agreed...coming from an ultimate background...hyzer flip was just normal. I actually have a hard time throwing high anhyzer lines trying to get a stable disc to flex out. it is much easier for me to throw a flippy disc on a hyzer-turnover line.

I personally love my 159g blizzard katana for my max distance hyzer flips. Also in certain circumstances, I will hyzer flip my 138g blizzard wraith or 174 vibram ascent. I never used to be able hyzer flip until I took the time to correct my form. Imo, the hyzer flip is one of the most rewarding and enjoyable shots to watch and throw. To anyone wanting to learn to hyzer flip, correct your form and as you work your distance up, the hyzer flip will naturally come bit by bit through experimentation with your different discs.