• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I got a secret (more distance, nose up/nose down)

txmxer

* Ace Member *
Of course it's not a secret, but it's also not apparent or was not apparent to me.

I've never been able to figure out how to throw nose down. It may have been a thread here or a youtube talking about Ricky's form, but it was about how in his back swing, the disc is nose up. Then as he releases it, the disc rotates to nose down. It's that fraction of a second that he maintains contact with the disc before release that changes everything.

So let's backup--when we start out we want to do two things:

1) throw far
2) throw straight

Not necessarily in that order. We sling away and the disc goes off in to the woods on the right (RHBH). Okay, how do I fix that? I back down a little and work on releasing straight. For me, that cut short my follow through. I was stepping straight towards the basket.

So, if we do as Sidewinder and Simon show--step at that angle (15 degrees from straight at the target?), then the release point is slightly more extended--your chest is opened up. You get that "tip of whip" effect and add speed to the throw while also allowing the disc to rotate to the nose down position. Posture also comes in to play. Getting your upper body a little forward over your toes rather than vertical--not forward towards the target but slightly bent at the waist.

I also tweaked my grip to be a little looser and more of a pinch. I was power gripping with all four fingers under the lip. I let my pinky slip off the disc, had a pinch between the index and thumb and the pointer and ring were loosely under the lip.

I just hit on this revelation last night as I was watching TV and flipping around a disc--something I do all the time when I watch TV. I was thinking about the Ricky release and wondering why the hell I can't throw nose down. It hit me that I'm releasing too early. The above kind of followed from that realization.

I just went out to the field and did about 40 throws. I was throwing "hard" but not maxed out. However, I did throw farther than I've ever thrown in my field with less effort. It's kind of windy, so hard to really judge how much extra D I might have discovered, but I feel confident that if I can execute what I discovered tonight, I will get more distance off the tee. Considerably more in fact as I had maxed out around 300' and have actually been struggling to get that lately.

This is all knowledge that people (sidewinder and others here and a million youtube videos) have shared in various ways, just took an aha moment for me to understand it.

So, if you are struggling with nose up like me--try to tweak the release so it's just a fraction later and see if that helps.

Like and subscribe! ;)

Good comments.

Can also think of Dickerson's pre-shot routine, and make sure you hold on past that point. (You're not really holding on past that point, but you're thinking about it)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 04A4BC37-DDE8-4E36-BAAC-38361FE47C9C.jpg
    04A4BC37-DDE8-4E36-BAAC-38361FE47C9C.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 511
  • 200C0CE8-390B-47F7-BA66-1D4F65A97E36.jpg
    200C0CE8-390B-47F7-BA66-1D4F65A97E36.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 499
For me, two things pretty much fixed my nose up issues. Using a lower reach bay and focusing on my wrist angle throughout my throw.

Glad you found something that clicked with you.

Do you feel like your grip changes relate to the 'rip friction' at release? That the delay you describe allows you to hit optimal mph and you need to tweak the 'feel' of release (grip/rip feel)? I.e. are you squeezing more with the delay?

Do you feel like your grip changes relate to the 'rip friction' at release? That the delay you describe allows you to hit optimal mph and you need to tweak the 'feel' of release (grip/rip feel)? I.e. are you squeezing more with the delay?

I think I was over gripping in general. The modification to the grip may change as this is all new.

For me, right now, it's about getting it out of my hand nose down and now I understand how that happens (for me), I can work my form and all the technique elements but I know what the endpoint needs to feel like.

The difference I saw tonight was I was able to take a destroyer and start it on a slight hyzer and see it flip to flat. Something I never imagined I would do.

On the course this weekend I struggled to recreate the gains. Today I did some field work.

On the course my grip wasn't right. Not sure why. Second thing I realized I was still doing on occasion is my arm motion wasn't in a flat plane. I was sweeping up at the end.

So I worked on my follow through as a continuation of my throw. Not saying straight line—sw22, showed us that's not correct. My motion was 3 dimensional and I'm trying to keep it more 2 dimensional.

I also realized I'm still strong arming quite a bit.

It felt good. Kind of windy today so hard to judge the progress.

Spent some time throwing putters yesterday.

Really trying to get them to come out flat. This was mostly standstill, but I'm finding it's important to have the feet offset from the target line to get a flatter throw same as you would with an x step.

The thing that helped me most with getting consistent nose down releases was footwork-- nothing else came close. Specifically it was shortening the cross step/x-step in the walkup to near nothing. This insured that I kept my weight centered over my rear foot as I 'fell' into my plant. If the x-step is too long, then you're off-balance, and when you go to plant and brace, your body actually stands up into the plant, and your momentum goes upwards, as opposed to staying horizontal.

Fixing grip is so simple and so easy. Just imagine you're holding some keys with your right hand. Now imagine that you're going to use a key to open a lock by turning the key to the right. Bam, that's the wrist angle you want.

Fixing grip is so simple and so easy. Just imagine you're holding some keys with your right hand. Now imagine that you're going to use a key to open a lock by turning the key to the right. Bam, that's the wrist angle you want.

I read this advice for probably 4+ years and it didn't really make sense. Same for the pouring coffee advice. It didn't even seem possible to throw a disc that way.

After finally stumbling across the proper wrist angle for nose down recently, I figured out why. I unlock doors by rotating my elbow inward. I pour coffee by rotating my elbow outward. My elbows are "double jointed", so that may or may not be a factor.

I read this advice for probably 4+ years and it didn't really make sense. Same for the pouring coffee advice. It didn't even seem possible to throw a disc that way.

After finally stumbling across the proper wrist angle for nose down recently, I figured out why. I unlock doors by rotating my elbow inward. I pour coffee by rotating my elbow outward. My elbows are "double jointed", so that may or may not be a factor.

Don't feel bad. Most of this forum is a big "huh?" to me too.