• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I just can't do it

I can't get my drives right. I've watch so many videos and tried so many times, but I just can't do it. My biggest problem is I can't seem to put it all together. I can't pop my hips out and do the "lawn mower" pull through and snap my wrist. Every now and then I'll get a drive that goes maybe 200 ft, but thats pretty rare. They are usually around 150 to 175.

I've been playing since June and suck just as bad now as I did then. Please tell me what I need to do.

I can't get my drives right. I've watch so many videos and tried so many times, but I just can't do it. My biggest problem is I can't seem to put it all together. I can't pop my hips out and do the "lawn mower" pull through and snap my wrist. Every now and then I'll get a drive that goes maybe 200 ft, but thats pretty rare. They are usually around 150 to 175.

I've been playing since June and suck just as bad now as I did then. Please tell me what I need to do.

it took me like a full year before I was good at driving. I am still not very good at driving. I would maybe use Mids for the time being until you can start pumping that out. Are you throwing Backhand or Forehand? I assume backhand, but maybe try fore hand also?

I throw back hand. I'll try FH from time to time but it's never a good drive. I'm currently driving with a DX leopard and every now and then I'll throw a DX archangel that I got for free. I may just start throwing the roc for a while.

Do you throw the mid the same as you would throw a driver?

As frustrating as it is, these things take time. I'm sure you've heard it before, but just keep going out to a field and praticing. Try different techniques, throwing different lines, etc. It all comes down to muscle memory and timing.

I suggest finding a local pro or good player and ask them to critque your throw. I would think that most of them would be willing to help you out.

Also, play with people who are better than you. It's the fastest way to learn, in my opinion.

It sounds to me like you are trying to work on too much at once. Consider it like science and change 1 thing at a time so lets not worry about our hips or pull and do snap. Once you feel you have some decent snap, work on the pull, after that start swinging the hips.

I can't get my drives right. I've watch so many videos and tried so many times, but I just can't do it. My biggest problem is I can't seem to put it all together. I can't pop my hips out and do the "lawn mower" pull through and snap my wrist. Every now and then I'll get a drive that goes maybe 200 ft, but that's pretty rare. They are usually around 150 to 175.

Kahoka, MO ? ? ?
Try to find a local Disc Golf Club, join it and play some league rounds. Our leagues you do not even have to be a club member to play.
Talk to some of the better players at your local course and ask if you can join them for a round, the most they can do is say, no...
The best way to learn IMO is to play rounds with people who are better than you. Watch their technique, how they throw different shots and learn from it. You don't even know what's possible till you see it done...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10080&highlight=beto

Check out the video on Post #3. You should start from the "hit" (the moment your disc leaves your hand) and slowly work in the 2 or 3 step run up. Even if you just stand and throw for a few days until things start to click, stick with it. Your discs should fly straight first, then add distance.

My guess is that you are simply trying too hard. Just relax and forget about the bad throws as quickly as possible.

I wish I knew about sites like this when I first got into the game. And always remember the #1 rule in disc golf...the most fun wins!

Big 'ditto' on going with someone who's better.

Having someone watch you and provide immediate feedback helps a lot. From one trip out with a good group, I picked up more advice that was immediately beneficial to me personally than I was able to find from the advice on the web that's written for a general audience.

It sounds to me like you are trying to work on too much at once. Consider it like science and change 1 thing at a time so lets not worry about our hips or pull and do snap. Once you feel you have some decent snap, work on the pull, after that start swinging the hips.

This ^^ and what Jasonc said. I'm going through this myself and I've been playing forever. I think at some point in my career I've had the the reach, pull-through, X-step and turn all correct (maybe not all at the same time), but I've never had the snap. Now I'm just working on acceleterating through the hit and getting the disk to rip out of my hand as opposed to passively releasing it, then I'll worry about putting the other things back.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19220

^^^Read this thread. Do Blake's exercises. For me it helped more to do them much slower than Blake does in the videos. Once you find the "feel" of the disc snapping in your hand (it took me about 2 months of field practice and I still don't quite get it every time) you can do things you could never do before.

After you find the snap, you have to add in grip, weight forward, and follow through. It's tough to get this stuff down. It takes patience and perseverance.

Also, and this is a big, big one: start doing rotator cuff and scapular stability exercises right away. Be sure to stretch and warm up before every throwing session and every round. You are going to put forces on your arm and shoulder that it has never felt before. It is easier than you think to hurt yourself, especially when you are trying for power and distance.

1) It took me about a month of (semi) daily field work to get a hard flat drive of over 300'.

2) Discs... Get a valkyrie, sidewinder, and/or wraith

3) Weight.... stick in the 168-170g range

4) Practice.

5) Practice

6) Learn form.... i taught my little brother how to throw 300' in a weekend (2 sessons) 250' (BH) is absolutely attainable by mortals in their first few attempts. 300' (FH) is also...

As I recommend to all noobs, get a 175g ultimate disc and learn how to throw that sucker. Once you can throw a lid 100-120 feet throwing putters seems way easier and throwing drivers almost seems like cheating.

Are there any courses near you, or do you have to just throw at trees? Just curiouos, looks like you're in the middle of BFE

1) It took me about a month of (semi) daily field work to get a hard flat drive of over 300'.

2) Discs... Get a valkyrie, sidewinder, and/or wraith

3) Weight.... stick in the 168-170g range

4) Practice.

5) Practice

6) Learn form.... i taught my little brother how to throw 300' in a weekend (2 sessons) 250' (BH) is absolutely attainable by mortals in their first few attempts. 300' (FH) is also...

What is with you and these fast drivers. Dude says hes getting 150' to 175' and you're suggesting a Valk, Sidewinder and Wrath?

My god, I can hear DGR laughing from here.

hehehehee

umm sorry

to the OP
don't get a wraith

read the stuck at 300 foot thread in the technique section over on DGR

use your mids and putters for now
and don't worry about distance...it takes time

I started 2 years ago with a horrendous nose up 150 foot stall out

I have not measured lately but over time your skills develop and I probably crack 350-375 now...not massive but very usable

follow what some have said

just go to a field
don't use a run up

do stand still throws

keep the disc flat
keep your grip loose
don't pull hard at the start...not until your elbow has passed in front of you
then pull hard for late acceleration

like flicking a towel

search for the towel drill and try it

Edit: even now when I want to work on my form and get things back together I will take just my putters to a field and throw

once you start stretching a putter 250-300
you will bomb your drivers

What is with you and these fast drivers. Dude says hes getting 150' to 175' and you're suggesting a Valk, Sidewinder and Wrath?

why?
give him the tools to get distance and learn how to drive.

the teebird/eagle/tl (disc down) concept is great, but until you can push them to 250' they are essentially useless for the noobs to throw.

he needs to go to a field and strengthen his entire throwing practice and habit. Once he does, he needs discs that will help him get distance.

i'm not one to think that noobs should start with "discing down"....
i'd rather give them the tools to "cheat" (as you say) and give them a more satisfying experience by using faster discs that go farther.

as soon as he gets the x-step and throw, he'll push the Valk to 275', the wraith and Sidewinder to 300'...
but i guess you'd rather tell him to have ok accuracy with the teebird and only drive to 240'?
or pick up a roc and go 225'?
or a putter at 150'?

the valk, sidewinder and wraith are a very good driver foundation for a new player.

let's give the guy the tools to drive far and have fun... if he gets hooked on the game then he can consciously decide if he wants to become a student and "disc down". - not everyone wants to be Avery Jenkins, most just want to not look dumb and throw 250' when their buddies throw 300'+.

dude says he's driving a DX leopard 175'.....
thats (about right) for a noob....

put a faster disc (Valk, sidewinder, wraith) in his hand and he should instantly get 75'.... (or more).

he'll jump from 175' (max) to the 225-275' range with no change in effort, form or style.

why?
give him the tools to get distance and learn how to drive.

the teebird/eagle/tl (disc down) concept is great, but until you can push them to 250' they are essentially useless for the noobs to throw.

he needs to go to a field and strengthen his entire throwing practice and habit. Once he does, he needs discs that will help him get distance.

i'm not one to think that noobs should start with "discing down"....
i'd rather give them the tools to "cheat" (as you say) and give them a more satisfying experience by using faster discs that go farther.

as soon as he gets the x-step and throw, he'll push the Valk to 275', the wraith and Sidewinder to 300'...
but i guess you'd rather tell him to have ok accuracy with the teebird and only drive to 240'?
or pick up a roc and go 225'?
or a putter at 150'?

the valk, sidewinder and wraith are a very good driver foundation for a new player.

let's give the guy the tools to drive far and have fun... if he gets hooked on the game then he can consciously decide if he wants to become a student and "disc down". - not everyone wants to be Avery Jenkins, most just want to not look dumb and throw 250' when their buddies throw 300'+.

Actually, for him, I wouldnt even tell him Teebird. Gazelle, Cyclone, Leopard at best. Probably even better would be a Comet, Stingray or even Shark at that distance.

What you're suggesting is him learning to throw understable yet fast drivers hes going to have to use OAT to get to go anywhere but left. Yes, it sucks for now but engraving the bad habbits for the early stages are going to suck worse when he plateus at less than 300' or start OATing a Boss, Nuke or Destroyer and spends his time in the deep brush wondering why he cant control a disc.

dude says he's driving a DX leopard 175'.....
thats (about right) for a noob....

put a faster disc (Valk, sidewinder, wraith) in his hand and he should instantly get 75'.... (or more).

he'll jump from 175' (max) to the 225-275' range with no change in effort, form or style.

Hes going to throw a Valk nose up and its going to come hard left. Only way hes getting 75' more out of it is the collective distance of being 25' shorter and 100' further left.

Latest posts