• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need an opinion...

This is my bag:
ESP Surge
Star xcaliber:|
champion groove:|:sick::gross:
champion valk
viper (beat up)
avenger ss
drone
z buzz
kc pro rock <-------choose between this or the buzzz
pro D challenger

if you post this in the bag section BroD will help you clean up your bag and learn about some discs that you may prefer.

Not to be a jerk but I'm going to doubt you throw 400-450 at the moment as well. If you really do, more power to you. But don't be decieved (gps distances can be inaccurate due to a phenomenon known as spatial decorrelation and mess up how far anything is from 4 feet to 4 miles).

Also OAT makes turn over shots very difficult. There should be a few threads in here about it if you just use the search feature. I think there is even a thread on the first page of Technique called "WTF is OAT?"

Best way to get your distance is a football field, and then figure it out from there.

This is my bag:
ESP Surge
Star xcaliber
champion groove
champion valk
viper (beat up)
avenger ss
drone
z buzz
kc pro rock
pro D challenger

I will just assume you throw and play as good as you say. No reason to doubt you and if you truly want accurate opinions you wouldnt want to make things up.

That said, you could use a good control driver. Closest thing you have to control driver speed is the Viper and even beat, if its beat enout to do a turnover with I have to imagine it being really beat and not controllable. It would be much easier to get a feel for a turnover shot with something a little slower than your Valks or Avenger SS and more neutral stability. A River is good out of the box, or you can break in some Eagles.

I wouldnt give up on FH either because while a turnover is typically going to start turning earlier, FH you can have the disc go left for a while then just finish right. Unless you really feel confident in your off arm but either way, its always good to have another shot available.

I have a LHFH,BH and RHBH and believe me, they are all useful at times. Sometimes you just cannot get the body positioning you need for a BH or FH shot.

I would also suggest learning a turn over with at least one of those plus all the other variations of throw...the more shots you have the better chance you have of getting out of trouble.

So I am 22 years old and have been playing disc golf everyday for close to 8 months now. I totaly fell in love with the game and have played everyday since a buddy introduced me to in the beginning of the summer. Even though I have only been playing for 8 months I feel like im becoming a really good player and could get really good in the future. My average distance drive averages between 400- 430 ft.( backhand, I feel that the flick is not as consistant a throw) and im a pretty consistant putter with my approach game being my strong point. But what I have noticed ( In my opinion) is that turnover drives are the hardest to be consistant with. I use an avenger ss or a valk for those shots but I just dont have confidence with them. I am a right hand thrower and im thinking about learning to drive with my left in order to have more confidence dogleg right holes. It has always been easy for me to learn to do things with my left from my background in basketball and other sports. anyways...... just wanting some feed back on what other people think. Learn to drive with the left or just keep on with turn over drives with the right, what will benifit me more in the long run?

looks like your heading in the right direction. ive met only a couple of truly ambidexterous disc golfers, who can throw just as far rhbh and lhbh. if you can work on that you will have a huge advantage over anyone. heres some other throws you may want to practice:
backhand roller
forehand roller
overhead, or tommy shot
thumber.
those four shots are not typically tee pad shots but will improve your ability to get out of trouble down the fairway, approach shots if you will.
but the best shot in your bag will be your putt. doesnt matter how far you can throw, if you cant putt.
lets say you have a plethora of shots you can execute, the top three shots will still be: 1) putt 2) putt and
3) putt.
good luck with the skill sets.
oops i forgot about the turnover shot. using the right disc will help immensely. the teebird works better than the valk, its stays in the air longer and glides. the leopard, and the QJLS is what i use for turnover shots because they stay in the air once you initiate the turnover.

Last edited:
So I am 22 years old and have been playing disc golf everyday for close to 8 months now. I totaly fell in love with the game and have played everyday since a buddy introduced me to in the beginning of the summer. Even though I have only been playing for 8 months I feel like im becoming a really good player and could get really good in the future. My average distance drive averages between 400- 430 ft.( backhand, I feel that the flick is not as consistant a throw) and im a pretty consistant putter with my approach game being my strong point. But what I have noticed ( In my opinion) is that turnover drives are the hardest to be consistant with. I use an avenger ss or a valk for those shots but I just dont have confidence with them. I am a right hand thrower and im thinking about learning to drive with my left in order to have more confidence dogleg right holes. It has always been easy for me to learn to do things with my left from my background in basketball and other sports. anyways...... just wanting some feed back on what other people think. Learn to drive with the left or just keep on with turn over drives with the right, what will benifit me more in the long run?

I have been playing about the same as you ..8 months, and here are some things that really helped me out, im just putting in my 2cents since i throw hard also.

since your throwing around 400, i would suggest using very stable drivers like the (teerex - Xcaliber - Teebird; star plastic ONLY)
throw straight/flat lines when you drive, and you will get really consistant with it.

When you need a disc to turn right on a consistant basis, i would go with a disc with a lower speed that is still stable (KCPRO Roc) , and throw it on a slight anhyzer, it will hold the line you are looking for instead of trying to flip a disc on the perfect angle, you should still be able to throw a ROC around 300-320' on a low anhyzer line, which is plenty for any course. and these slower stable discs will not be effected by the wind as much as trying to flip a disc on a perfect angle, using a higher speed unerstable disc, which is really difficult to do, and especially when the disc is getting more and more understable as it gets used it almost changes with every throw.

yea its accurate... what you trying to say? I was asking for an opinion not worthless coments.... as I said I play everyday and put alot of time into it. I would like helpful advice and opinons.

Now look-it here son, you asked for opinions and by golly I gave mine to you. A good indicator of OAT is see to how far you can drive with your putter. If you are throwing 400'+ OAT free, its an unlikely scenario that you struggle with turnover shots. Now you can prove me wrong, and I'm fine with that, but all the evidence I've seen so far leads heavily to torque monkey OAT(like 99.9%). I don't mean to rain on your parade, boy - just calling it as I see it with the little info provided.

This is pretty accurate for distance:
http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm
Also beware of football practice fields that are not always 100 yards.

Just because someone can throw far and may not have OAT doesn't mean they will be able to master a turnover shot. That by far is the hardest shot to get down, but like someone said when you have it its golden.Try something slower as others have said. I throw an ELiteZ Express for that shot, but you could also throw leopard, cheetah archangel..stuff like that

Now look-it here son, you asked for opinions and by golly I gave mine to you. A good indicator of OAT is see to how far you can drive with your putter. If you are throwing 400'+ OAT free, its an unlikely scenario that you struggle with turnover shots. Now you can prove me wrong, and I'm fine with that, but all the evidence I've seen so far leads heavily to torque monkey OAT(like 99.9%). I don't mean to rain on your parade, boy - just calling it as I see it with the little info provided.

This is pretty accurate for distance:
http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm
Also beware of football practice fields that are not always 100 yards.

If you would have read a few posts down you would have saw where I apologized for my comment because I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I had never heard of OAT and thougnt you were saying something smart. Easy mistake my a rookie..... now.... people have misunderstood this thread.
yes I havent been playing for as long as most, and yes I think my drive is abnormally better that what it should be in this short amout of time ( but it comes from hours of practice a day for 8 months without missing a day)

Now to clarify something else... Yes I can throw anhyzer drives, I do it alot, I was just saying that im not as confident in them and feel like learning to throw with my left would make those shots even better. So the question I asked in the beginning was this. What would make me the best player? just practice the anhyzer drive or learn LHBH

The answer is yes. Learn both if you can. LHBH is a different line than RHBH with a turnover; RHFH would be closest to LHBH but would give you more options for room to move.

And I agree with you Mr. CFAIR.....I hate the groove to! I just keep it in the bag i hopes someone would want to make a trade for it but cant find anyone who will take the stupid thing! haha

I have a LHFH,BH and RHBH and believe me, they are all useful at times. Sometimes you just cannot get the body positioning you need for a BH or FH shot.

I would also suggest learning a turn over with at least one of those plus all the other variations of throw...the more shots you have the better chance you have of getting out of trouble.

I have been playing about the same as you ..8 months, and here are some things that really helped me out, im just putting in my 2cents since i throw hard also.

since your throwing around 400, i would suggest using very stable drivers like the (teerex - Xcaliber - Teebird; star plastic ONLY)
throw straight/flat lines when you drive, and you will get really consistant with it.

When you need a disc to turn right on a consistant basis, i would go with a disc with a lower speed that is still stable (KCPRO Roc) , and throw it on a slight anhyzer, it will hold the line you are looking for instead of trying to flip a disc on the perfect angle, you should still be able to throw a ROC around 300-320' on a low anhyzer line, which is plenty for any course. and these slower stable discs will not be effected by the wind as much as trying to flip a disc on a perfect angle, using a higher speed understable disc, which is really difficult to do, and especially when the disc is getting more and more understable as it gets used it almost changes with every throw.

OP, these 2 posts sum it up best to me, especially katchz's. LHBH and FH are definitely worth learning, as other pointed out, but getting consistent annys and turnovers is a must if you want to do them with any kind distance since you're RHBH dominant.

Since you're a new player I'm going to run these two terms by you:
Anhyzer - A shot where the disc is released anhyzer and stays at that angle during the majority of its flight.

Turnover - A shot released flat or hyzer that flips up or turns over into an anhyzer angle.

For power guys, the latter is a lot easier to get the hang of. My guess is you're trying to finesse the Valk and the A-SS on anny lines and either OAT or too much speed is making them squirrely on you.

My remedy:
Get a straight fairway driver (Teebird, TL, Gazelle, Cyclone, JLS, Eagle, Sabre, etc) and learn to rip it onto a forced TO. While they're new, they'll likely fade back on you and you may have to release slightly anhyzer or flat at first to keep it turned over but as they beat in they'll lock onto this TO line easier and easier and it becomes super predictable.

thanks brotherdave. Yea I guess I am trying to finesse the shot. I have also not thrown alot of diffrent discs ( since that gets fairly expensive and college students are broke! haha) but I will pick up some of your suggested fairway drivers and take your advice.

Anyways, I have been playing about the same time as you and I can tell you that having a confident forehand shot will do wonders for your game. I throw forehand or backhand evenly and my buddy throws backhand only. Many rounds I have parked it and his never turned over, leaving for a terrible lie. The LHBH is a sweet option too and if you can pull it off, go for it!

So you know enough to hate the groove but you've never heard of OAT? Weird...

Not many people play in my area and I have not gotten on these forums until recently..... thus, I have not heard alot of these terms. I learned mostly from you tube videos and watching other people but non of them mentioned OAT.

I know I hate the groove because when I first started I bought a bunch of different discs and it was one ( at the time I had no clue what I was buying) so I have had it long enough to know I hate it.

Get a comet, it is the best turnover disc. One thing that really helped me is throwing slower you dont need to go full speed all the time and finesse shots are easy when you have a slow smooth stroke. If you find yourself throwing as fast as your arm will go you likely have oat issues. Its not uncommon for people to throw with torque as it is the quickest way to get max d. You still need to throw hard but its about starting slow and getting faster as you pull across your chest then reach the pinnacle right as you release.

Latest posts