• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idea for new rule:

zjones9

Par Member
Okay, so I was watching martyhmcgee's latest video on youtube, which is coverage of KC's card at the US Master's.

Watching some of the really open/long holes got me thinking. In ball golf, on championship caliber courses, players have to try and aim for the fairway on most holes (even if it is very open with no trees) because the grass off of the fairways will likely hinder their second shots.

In disc golf, if we want to "punish" bad shots then it almost always comes in the form of trees/shrubbery. But what if we marked the fairways and then if you landed in a fairway, you could run up for your second shot. If you missed the fairway and landed in the rough, then you would be forced to throw from a standstill. I think this would very closely mimic a "bad lie" in ball golf.

Before I get berated...I know disc golf is NOT ball golf, but this is just one way that we could add some challenge to the game, especially on courses that do not have many natural obstacles. Also, I know that the current method of creating fairways is by marking everything else OB, however this can sometimes be too harsh of a punishment unless the fairway is VERY LARGE. I think there could be fairway, rough (area where you must throw from standstill), and then OB.

Again, I know that some people will throw from a standstill even if they have the option to run up, but this is more of a rule that would affect 2nd shots that were still 250+ ft out.

Okay, now I'm ready to hear how bad of an idea this is. GO!

No.

If you truly have a bad lie after throwing a bad shot, the terrain/obstacles will make it hard/impossible to do a run up anyways.

This idea is also floating, in a similar manner, in another thread.

Among the issues, if you're talking about a broad-based rule and not a special, limited use, is how to mark the "fairway". On an 8,000 foot hole, that would be 4 miles or more of markings.

On most courses, getting off the fairway means an impaired line to the basket, which does the trick. If may also mean restricted run-up, follow-through, and/or arm motion.

Perhaps, like buncrs, it would be used in limited circumstances. Personally, I doubt it would be worth the effort.

No.

If you truly have a bad lie after throwing a bad shot, the terrain/obstacles will make it hard/impossible to do a run up anyways.

I understand this, but there are MANY courses out there that are just too open, and have NO obstacles that could create a bad lie. This would prevent people from just "airing it out" on a 900 ft hole on the first shot and cause them to have at least a little bit of placement.

You can't honestly say that you have never played a course that has holes that don't fairly punish a bad or errant throw.

This idea is also floating, in a similar manner, in another thread.

Among the issues, if you're talking about a broad-based rule and not a special, limited use, is how to mark the "fairway". On an 8,000 foot hole, that would be 4 miles or more of markings.

On most courses, getting off the fairway means an impaired line to the basket, which does the trick. If may also mean restricted run-up, follow-through, and/or arm motion.

Perhaps, like buncrs, it would be used in limited circumstances. Personally, I doubt it would be worth the effort.

Totally agree about the amount of effort/work that something like this would take. I think that as the sport progresses, there will be many more pay-to-play courses and these courses could potentially be able to implement something like this...maybe

There was just a very long thread on this: The Case For and Against Stand-And-Deliver. But that was about all nonetheless shots being s&d. You should read it..... Or skim through it as it is very long.

I think your idea of selective usage of s&d is a great idea as a tool for course designers and TDs to add teeth to the course (increase risk/reward) where there are not better options available.

Whoa, then what's next, having par 4's and 5's, that's just crazy talk.:)

I like the idea of a little more challenge, especially on wide open, and flat courses.

So don't play on those courses then. The truly challenging championship caliber courses will already punish bad lies.

There are many courses that I have played that are pretty tough, but still have one, two, maybe four holes that are really long and so open that bad throws are not punished. You think that these courses should just be skipped over???

Plus, almost all of the championship caliber courses are little to no fun for beginners because they are simply too challenging. Courses that implemented a rule in line with what I described above would be challenging for ALL skill levels while at the same time being enjoyable for ALL skill levels.

So don't play on those courses then. The truly challenging championship caliber courses will already punish bad lies.

this is not a true statement at all... the championship caliber courses are more difficult than your average DGC at a park but that does not mean they "punish" bad lies as the OP is describing. We have a gold level champ. caliber course here with is on a golf course and really only has a few spots where you truly are punished for missing a line. Also other more technical wooded courses which are not championship caliber have some of the worst lies possible if you get off the line and the hole is only 250' :|

You just copied this idea from the other thread, and gave it a twist to "make it your own".

DG courses are not manicured like ball golf courses. For the most part, DG courses have trees and thick brush off the fairway. When you're in the "shule", often times you can't take a run-up anyways.

You just copied this idea from the other thread, and gave it a twist to "make it your own".

DG courses are not manicured like ball golf courses. For the most part, DG courses have trees and thick brush off the fairway. When you're in the "shule", often times you can't take a run-up anyways.

I must not have read enough of the other thread. I thought it was only about mandatory stand-and-deliver on EVERY shot after the tee-off. What I was posting about is not just a small "twist" of this concept. If this has already been discussed in that thread, then I must not have seen it, and in that case will offer my apologies for the repost.

I understand this, but there are MANY courses out there that are just too open, and have NO obstacles that could create a bad lie. This would prevent people from just "airing it out" on a 900 ft hole on the first shot and cause them to have at least a little bit of placement.

I don't think I've ever played a course that open but it seems to me that if a hole was designed like that then throws were meant to be aired out and it's a hole meant for big arms.

You can't honestly say that you have never played a course that has holes that don't fairly punish a bad or errant throw.

If someone is just throwing it willynilly for max d with no control then you should be able to throw a fairly big shot with control and have a better lie than that person a majority of the time. That is their punishment. If there is a lack of scoring separation and that's what you're complaining about then it's likely a poorly designed hole, which is what 900ft in an open field sounds like.

Last edited:

this is not a true statement at all... the championship caliber courses are more difficult than your average DGC at a park but that does not mean they "punish" bad lies as the OP is describing. We have a gold level champ. caliber course here with is on a golf course and really only has a few spots where you truly are punished for missing a line. Also other more technical wooded courses which are not championship caliber have some of the worst lies possible if you get off the line and the hole is only 250' :|

Plus, not everyone lives in an area where there a multiple courses to choose from within a reasonable distance. We're lucky in Dallas-Fort Worth with over 50 courses and 20 with a full 18+ and rated 3.0 or better.

The OP might have a good thought to use selectively, but I couldn't see it on all holes. It is an idea worth discussing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Pu8cnvwro

Look at some of the holes. Particularly hole 3. This is a prime example of where this rule could add a little challenge on what most would agree is a great championship caliber course (Cedarock Park in Burlington, NC)

And props to martyhmcgee for getting such good coverage of so many PDGA events!

Last edited:
I must not have read enough of the other thread. I thought it was only about mandatory stand-and-deliver on EVERY shot after the tee-off. What I was posting about is not just a small "twist" of this concept. If this has already been discussed in that thread, then I must not have seen it, and in that case will offer my apologies for the repost.

There was a drift in the midst of that stand-and-deliver thread, talking about designating specific places for a required S&D.

It is a very small percentage of courses and holes that would be considered for this. Holes under 400-500', the 2nd shot isn't going to be long enough for S&D to matter, anyway. TDs have the option now of creating O.B. But you're talking about a much softer penalty, almost no restriction at all for people who were going to S&D anyway, including a lot of forehanders. Hardly seems worth the effort of marking and creating the specific wording that would be involved.

Silly rules are silly.

"No dude, my disc is more than half in the fairway, I can run-up."

"No dude, it's totally more than halfway in the rough, no run-up."

"F U"

Nah. I like roped off OB better, like at Winthrop. It's the simplest, and most effective solution to make wide open, field type holes more challenging.

Maybe each group carries an 8' bamboo pole. If a player's disc lands outside the close-cut fairway, someone in the group crouches 10 feet in front of the thrower holding the pole vertically to force the player to hyzer/anhyzer around it for a little more challenge but they still could run-up and follow through.