• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ideas to make discs safer

Don't throw discs at people. And you're not supposed to throw them at trees either.

15yr old boy, just started playing, no arm, brand new champ eagle 165g, zapped me while practicing drive form out in the yard. Yes, 100% my fault for being on that end but it got me thinking about the safety of discs.

I had on jeans too...

2011-10-20_18-00-51_453.jpg

2011-10-20_18-00-39_363.jpg

like it or not the game is growing and there are more players playing with more dangerous discs on courses that cant handle the reckless combination.

Tree Damage is a true concern and combined with faster/harder/sharper discs and more tree hits as the game expands it should be considered
danger to other disc golfers and the public is also a concern....higher speed discs in heavy weights dont really seem to be the answer

Not sure why the sarcasm and stupidity?
Okay, you've stressed that we have a problem here. What do you suggest we do to fix it? Even if we all agreed these heavy weight warp speed drivers in high durability plastics were the smoking gun, and we mandated that some magical new "safe" technical standards be imposed, they would likely be pointless, as there are already millions of these "dangerous" discs out on the market.

I just checked the disc organizer and we have over 1,200 Champ Bosses with a weight of 170 or higher just logged here on DGCR. That's one mold, in one plastic, from one company, logged by a group of guys who are probably less than 1% of the disc golf community. God only knows how many more of these ticking time bombs that non-DGCR'ers, retailers, clubs, tournament directors and other parties might be holding.

So seriously Opti, what do you suggest? Should we require licenses, complete with a throwing test, to own any disc above say, a speed 9? Should we make any disc above a certain rim width illegal in certain parks and send the disc police to those parks with metric rulers to search people's bags for plastic contraband? Perhaps outlaw courses that have any trees at all on them?

Last edited:
Okay, you've stressed that we have a problem here. What do you suggest we do to fix it? Even if we all agreed these heavy weight warp speed drivers in high durability plastics were the smoking gun, and we mandated that some magical new "safe" technical standards be imposed, they would likely be pointless, as there are already millions of these "dangerous" discs out on the market.

I just checked the disc organizer and we have over 1,200 Champ Bosses with a weight of 170 or higher just logged here on DGCR. That's one mold, in one plastic, from one company, logged by a group of guys who are probably less than 1% of the disc golf community. God only knows how many more of these ticking time bombs that non-DGCR'ers, retailers, clubs, tournament directors and other parties might be holding.

So seriously Opti, what do you suggest? Should we require licenses, complete with a throwing test, to own any disc above say, a speed 9? Should we make any disc above a certain rim width illegal in certain parks and send the disc police to those parks with metric rulers to search people's bags for plastic contraband?

Good point.

I've got a Concealed Carry License for my Opto King. My Sword is unregistered though.

yeah i have thrown blind holes and have lots of peds out walking i do think the course would get pulled if those peds got rocked. the discs now are just dangerous.

I carry a blue opto XXX that u don't want me to thumber your way. hard to see its flight too since it is swirling thru the air.

anyhow

vibram putters do very little damage to trees but i would guess most putters aren't the ones hurting the trees it is the overstable champ like plastic.

we could do an add like the vibram against the wall but use trees and show damage? just a thought.

15yr old boy, just started playing, no arm, brand new champ eagle 165g, zapped me while practicing drive form out in the yard. Yes, 100% my fault for being on that end but it got me thinking about the safety of discs.
how did that kid throw it with no arm?

I don't think rubber discs make a difference, you still have the same compact mass traveling at high velocity.
As far as trees go its great to wrap them, hell I think every tree on the fairway should be wrapped, but there's always going to be some d*ckhead that breaks/tears it off.
As far as people safety that falls squarely on the dg community, the leagues and designers. Everyone worries about money for pads, money for tee signs, but when do you ever see signs to warn Joe public about the high velocity plastic flying around his head? Maybe one sign for every ten courses you play?
In a shared public park these types of warning signs should be posted on every single hole.

Okay, you've stressed that we have a problem here. What do you suggest we do to fix it? Even if we all agreed the discs were the smoking gun, and we mandated that some magical new "safe" technical standards be imposed, they would likely be pointless, as there are already millions of these "dangerous" discs out on the market.

So seriously Opti, what do you suggest? Should we require licenses, complete with a throwing test, to own any disc above say, a speed 9? Should we make any disc above a certain rim width illegal in certain parks and send the disc police to those parks with metric rulers to search people's bags for plastic contraband?

I realize that the cat is out of the bag so to speak
I was curious if the pdga could perhaps start to impose some regs

Japan has the 150g rule
Blizzard tech is interesting although who knows
R Pro was a good idea but not practical
Could the flex test standard be improved

I guess I think some more responsibility would be nice from henceforth and if the disc companies wont do it the pdga should regulate it more....I mean if the pdga said discs with this size rim could only be made in lighter weights (unsure that'd make em safer?) or some type of strategy to try to preserve the game

The superclass experiment was a failure...noobs dont appreciate the joy of super class

My local course lost more trees this past year to storms than it has ever lost to disc damage. I've also never seen a tree wrapped at a disc golf course. Maybe in va we don't care about trees.

Disc golf has to be one of the safest sports out there. I don't know that any safety measures are needed beyond building smarter courses, and raising awareness.

I'm sure a disc could really do some damage, but disc golf ain't polo.

Hi speed discs are dangerous? I think I could do as much damage with a 186 scorpion. Wear a helmet with a sneeze guard and walk your bike across the street, lets all protect ourselves from living! The only danger is people who throw at holes where there is a possibility of shanking into a person or other ANIMAL. Educate players with a label on each disc sold sort of like the explicit content labels on cd's. make the sport cool and educate at the same time. Or you could be like Edison and kill animals with discs to show how dangerous they are.

Last edited:
My local course list more trees this past year to storms than it has ever lost to disc damage. I've also never seen a tree wrapped at a disc golf course. Maybe in va we don't care about trees.

That's the real problem. Foot traffic causing erosion. Trees have lived through worse predators than...well, a predator.

Again, it comes down to smarter course design.