• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ideas to make discs safer

This thread is fuel for the anti-disc golf sentiment and all disc golfers are ignorant

thanks fellas for making it perfectly clear...I was obviously under some other illusion

To lend to your point opti, at my local (super busy and trashed) course the neighbors have pointed out the tree damage numerous times when raising anti dg points.

In all honesty, i think speed 11 and up are not needed. The small distance gains are imo, a small reward for the design difficulties and bad habits the breed.

do we need discs to be safer? how about we just get out of the fairway

We cover trees that are in direct constant contact with discs. Black gutter tubing with a little bailing wire...

Doesnt matter the speed of the disc, I have taken two inches of bark of a good size tree with a buzzz.

Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out a way to make golf balls more safer.. If someone gets hit in the head by a ball I hit with my new Nike driver.. Not cool.

I'm also looking to alternative safe ideas. Thanks. :)

I fear there will be a day where technology allows for a disc to have the majority of its weight on the outer rim in a premium plastic.
I'd suspect if you took a disc, cut out the flight plate from the rim, and weighed both pieces, you'd see that this fear is already a reality, and has been for as long as premium plastic discs have existed.

The discs are not the problem- the players and courses are. We need more private, pay-to-play courses with shrouding on the trees lining the fairways. This would help keep the morons out, and preserve the precious tree bark that gets scratched and dented by discs. It's not like trees grow the bark as a protective shield or anything. And why should we let anyone except highly trained professionals onto a course? It just doesn't make sense...

This is just another case of catering to the dumbest of the dumb. I say the discs are fine, its the picnicers on the course that are the issue, not the disc.

Im thinking of what discs of the past 10 yrs have done to trees and the potential for injury

Typically the brunt of the damage is limited to just a few trees per hole, which can be minimized by wrapping them, and probably pales in comparison to the number of trees removed to install the course in the first place.

In regards to personal injury, I suppose lighter and softer, more flexible discs are the only way to go, but PDGA specifications are already based on safety considerations. I don't see a reason that MVP's overmolding technology couldn't be used to make discs safer. The outer ring on MVP discs is probably already softer than the flight plate. If they could find a way to make the flight plate weigh even less, and put more of the weight in the rim, they might be able to do some interesting things with ultra light weight discs without compromising the Gyro stability.

like it or not the game is growing and there are more players playing with more dangerous discs on courses that cant handle the reckless combination.
Tree Damage is a true concern and combined with faster/harder/sharper discs and more tree hits as the game expands it should be considered
danger to other disc golfers and the public is also a concern....higher speed discs in heavy weights dont really seem to be the answer

Not sure why the sarcasm and stupidity?

The Anti Disc Golfers/Tree Planters or whatever from SF and the SFDGC had some studies done. The SFDGC won. Tree damage is super minimal. There is a small faction that really wants the course pulled out. Golden Gate park is nice, it will stay.

The Anti Disc Golfers/Tree Planters or whatever from SF and the SFDGC had some studies done. The SFDGC won. Tree damage is super minimal. There is a small faction that really wants the course pulled out. Golden Gate park is nice.

can you point me in the direction of those studies...is it available online anywhere?

wow a ton of thread bashing lately. sorry op. like its been said the discs are not the problem its the throwers. kind of like its the shooter not the arrow or the bullet etc.
I know that some of us are main fixtures on our local courses. All it takes some times is to help fellow disc golfers understand the sport and the course etiquette. I have approached tons of "chuckers" to let them know what the deal is. some appreciate some don't, the ones that don't eventually will get a taste of their own medicine. ;) The real golfers, if you will,have to be an ambassador of sorts when we can.

Help save a chucker give them a leopard!!

I was in fear when i saw a new player throw a ws king onto an apts balcony. Lacking tact, he retrieved the disc.

This was on one of my fav holes. When the course pro/co designer was told he couldnt figure out how that happened. The answer, he sold a ws king to a new player that was throwing it 100ft high.

can you point me in the direction of those studies...is it available online anywhere?

great question. I just heard that from a TD at the Safari. I don't have any thing to back that up at the moment. I will email them and try to get some info ASAP. I believe that is one of the reasons the course was allowed to stay though. They are trying to get another course at in the city, but its' a really tough battle.

I think the most dangerous player is the 16-24 yr old who is reckless, lacks, caution, and has the athletic ability to throw a disc at a high rate of speed to places we designers cannot comprehend.
Put a Katana or an Ape or a Nuke in their hands and watch your disc golf course get pulled