• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild - Burlington, KY

jace

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
O.K. - so I know I'll get blasted for asking/posting this, but it is what it is! I just played Idlewild while on a short vacation with the family, and although it did not dissapoint - I was let down. I guess I was expecting some disc golf mecca course that was going to put everything in it's place on the scale rating, and that I would be dying to move closer to be able to play the course regularly. But none of that came to fruition this morning as I walked a fairly decent manicured park course with trash throughout (which is unfortunate) and baskets in need of replacement to be on par with premier courses these days IMO.

What I discovered today was that my home town in Kansas City has a half dozen absolutely incredible courses that I didn't realize I was so fortunate to have within 30 minutes of me. Anybody else experience the let down of a course that is maybe a little too hyped up?

Anything in particular that you didn't like about the course? It is kind of vague why you were not impressed. Without garbage, and with better baskets, is it fixed?

What format were you playing? I played there 2 weeks ago and didn't notice any trash and all of the baskets were just fine. It's golf at its best IMO.

I was let down in a big way by Milo McIver in Estacada, OR. Its much too flat and open for my liking, it has some major navigational issues, and the tee signs can be confusing.

I've been waiting to get back there so I can play it all the way through a couple more times before I review it, but I have a feeling I'll be getting some "thumbsdown" for swimming against the current....

I was let down in a big way by Milo McIver in Estacada, OR. Its much too flat and open for my liking, it has some major navigational issues, and the tee signs can be confusing.

I've been waiting to get back there so I can play it all the way through a couple more times before I review it, but I have a feeling I'll be getting some "thumbsdown" for swimming against the current....

If you don't want a bunch of thumbs down, then take a few notes next time you play it. Take your time and write down your thoughts as you play it. You don't have to measure every hole, just scribble down your thoughts and what hole you are thinking about. In the end, you should have some kind of descriptive review that many will find helpful no matter what rating you choose.:thmbup: Just try not to mention other courses in the review, unless you are descriptive about it. It can attract some thumbs down if you just say"Compared to this course, this course sucks."

Last edited:
I have not played a ton but no I only have 14 courses in so far in the first year but I didnt think Idlewild was a super course either. I played it only once and really I liked Lincoln Ridge just as much if not more. I didnt hate the course I just expected more with all the hype as well. I did not think the baskets where in bad shape and didnt even notice any trash on the course. I did notice that parts of the course where not mowed and a tournament was just a few days away so I thought that was a bit odd. I will try to play it a few more times before i make up a decision. I doubt Ill be putting my house up for sale anytime soon either

Idlewild does not have trash and the baskets are in good shape. I was there 2 weeks ago. It's over hyped because it's not on pristine land but the course is very difficult while fair. The reason to move to the Greater Cincinnati/N Kentucky area is because of ALL the courses in the area, not just Idlewild.

baskets and trash...sooooo overrated... I was let down by Idlewild for other reasons. I was also let down at Forked Run in Ohio, Cranbury in CT, FDR in NY, Borderland in Mass, Knob Hill in PA, and Patapsco in MD....to name a few... Ive been surprised pleasantly just as often.

Sometimes I think people expect too much. After all, each course is subject to the available land. It's how that land is utilized that makes a great course. Not every course has the luxury of huge elevation, water hazards, tight and wooded, wide open and 1250 feet.

I think Idlewild is a kick ass course well deserving of a high rating, but it is still northern Kentucky terrain, well placed baskets, and what I believe to be exceptional maintenance (those brick walls/hedges, bridges and various stairs/pathways and "sand traps" didn't happen by chance).

Is this course gonna make you drop to your knee's in worship? No. But is there such a course?

This site has me wanting to get out west...like to Oregon for sure. I have no doubt that the courses there are amazing. But are they better than the courses I have played here in the mid-west, such as Idlewild, Flip City, Leviathan, Forked Run, Deis Hill or Lincoln Ridge...I don't know. But if they are better, they can only be better by so much...if you get my drift.

I, was out at Idlewild all day today practicing in the Soccer field and then putting on hole 3. Might have crossed paths. I'm also the guy that lost the Wraith and Buzzz if that was you?

Ripper - saw you. I was there with my son and Daughter! Nice drives btw on the soccer field!

I didn't say I was dissappointed just a little let down. A few beer cans and wrappers along the way were easy to pick up and throw away with the trash cans at every tee box. Cigarette butts @ 14 on the tee pad, trash to me. I just expected more based on all the hype and it's continuous rating at the top. I figured this course was going to blow away most of what I had played previously, and I've tried to hit the nice courses when I can as I travel.

The elevation changes, approaches, and couse layout were fanastic, but I would say variety (compared to other courses I have played like Beaver Ranch and Pickard Park) is lacking! It just all looked the same after the first nine - except 15 @ 1001 feet! I also couldn't understand why 18 ends the way it did, but I'm sure it was because the soccer field was there first.

I've only played 34 courses in 8 states and this is one of the best I have played, but I think the two I listed above in Colorado and Iowa are better due to variety from hole to hole.

After traveling to NY, KY, OH, WV, MD, DE, and VA I have detrmined that I have some great disc golf in my state and that I might be better served staying home and working on my game than traveling in search of some mythical 5 from the internet.

Idlewild is a great course but I was let down as well...I wanted to love it more I really did.

I played Idlewild on a road trip just a few days ago and was very impressed. It is a very good course and worthy of a 5 star rating.

Thanks, trying to get good. LOL Hardly ever play a full round at Idlewild just because it takes hours just going all the way through and in the heat not that fun. If your ever in the Cincy area again let me know, you gotta try Banklick, Airey and even Boone Woods. Have met people from all over the country at hole 1 at Idlewild which I think is pretty cool. Heck, a few guys who drove down from Chicago, found my Wraith today and gave me a call.

I, live less than 2 miles from Idlewild and from the mountain bike trails, running paths and ball fields, plus the Disc golf course I truly love everything about Idlewild. Honestly, I was rather surprised at all the high scores this year on this site, as the grass has gotten out of control a few times, the retaining walls have crumbled, and the bridges were washed out just a few weeks ago. Plus, last year we had a dedicated guy (also a close friend) that took care of the course that was hired by Boone County parks and as an avid disc golfer kept Idlewild in top notch shape, but he moved away to Columbus unfortunately so now it's just joe blow on a zero turn and a weedeater doing the work. One week before the Bluegrass Open hole 5's fairway was up past my knees in grass, the longs on hole 2 was so overgrown you couldn't even see the basket, and the monster hole 15 since the reforestation has gotten to the point were if you even get into the tall grass even a foot in, you'll be rooting through brush and weeds and just becomes a PITA. Granted it's summer time and this is highly trafficked and free public park that old ladies in boot camps, kids group, church groups, little league, etc are all cluttering it up pretty bad.

The one thing I love about Idlewild though is that it's such an awesome Risk and Reward course, and there are no pitch and putt holes at all. You have to use every shot imaginable to get through some holes, and you can go over trees and park it and get a three or you can fail and take a snowman in some instances. When I see courses like the Grange, Renny Gold, Maple Hill, can't imagine Idlewild being better than those courses, but for being a free to the public course I think it's pretty outstanding, but I by no means disagree with the reviews of it. Think it's just awesome that it's being talked about, and has the most reviews by far on the site.

I agree for a local aprk its amazing....Is it a county or muni park?
County park and have no problems paying taxes to keep it. :D Boone County Parks and Rec is A+ in every facet. Quite a few others that help also though, but the county really has a gem, and glad they take care of it for the most part. it's not as polished as it was in years past, but still as a fan of disc golf you gotta play it at least once. http://www.boonecountyky.org/parks/ParkInfo/EnglandIdlewild btw it has some great mountain bike trails also.

Last edited:
...and baskets in need of replacement to be on par with premier courses these days IMO.
I really think you're off on this assessment. They're probably not the shiniest or made of gold or anything like that. If that's what you were expecting...remember this is a county park. Government. Think about it.

Idlewild is one of the most scenic DG courses out there. If you want to see some ugly ones, I'll show you some that are as ugly as the zit on a large woman's behind.

In short, I think you're off. :thmbdown: