• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If Nike made DG gear/discs, would you buy it?

I just think it's funny how people gang up on Nike, like they're the only company in the world not made in the USA. I'm willing to bet that 95% of people registered on this site buy products from at least 5 companies that profit from outsourced cheap often underage labor.

I'm sure I do, but I also make a stong effort to buy local.
All my suits are union made in the states. My shoes are made in Wisconsin. The tee shirts I buy are from dg clubs or punk/ska bands. I choose local restaurants over chains....
I personally hate Nike, especially since they bought out vans and chucks:(

Why is it cheaper for me go to the farmers market to get organically grown produce and free range meat but if I go to Whole Foods it cost me double or triple those prices. Being the middle man does not add that much cost to the product.

I have no idea what is going on in this thread, I just wanted to point out that your farmers market doesn't have the transportation costs that Wohle Foods does. In order to be as big as they are, they must have consolidated distribetion centers across the country to supply the stores. This does add wuite a bit of cost that farmers do not have to deal with.

"sorry Dave, sorry Jim, I know you guys have dedicated so much for the sport like building courses, educating players, supporting events and leagues but you'll have to understand how cool I'll look throwing a Nike disc"
"yes I know it's a grassroots movement you guys have created, intstilling values and fun for all, but Nike can make it so a handfull of athletes can get paid the big bucks"

"sorry Dave, sorry Jim, I know you guys have dedicated so much for the sport like building courses, educating players, supporting events and leagues but you'll have to understand how cool I'll look throwing a Nike disc"

"yes I know it's a grassroots movement you guys have created, intstilling values and fun for all, but Nike can make it so a handfull of athletes can get paid the big bucks"

"hmm, I have an inherent distrust of large businesses even though Innova is fairly large and is looking to make a profit. What separates them from Nike? I don't know, some arbitrary things that I define like "educating players" and "supporting events", both of which help Innova make a profit. I am fully aware of the fact that Innova supports the USDGC so it can grow it's brand recognition and sell crap loads of discs during the tourney"

I have no idea what is going on in this thread, I just wanted to point out that your farmers market doesn't have the transportation costs that Wohle Foods does. In order to be as big as they are, they must have consolidated distribetion centers across the country to supply the stores. This does add wuite a bit of cost that farmers do not have to deal with.

I know but I think you missed the point I was trying to make

If I'm not mistaken, Nike-branded shoes, boots, socks, shorts, shirts, outerwear, caps, bags, towels, and sweatbands (all of which are "DG gear") already exist. Do you buy them?

If I'm not mistaken, Nike-branded shoes, boots, socks, shorts, shirts, outerwear, caps, bags, towels, and sweatbands (all of which are "DG gear") already exist. Do you buy them?

No, but not on purpose.

I would buy whatever product I think is best regardless of who makes it. It would always be taken into consideration though; those who do come talk to their market and get a better understanding of what is wanted.

"hmm, I have an inherent distrust of large businesses even though Innova is fairly large and is looking to make a profit. What separates them from Nike? I don't know, some arbitrary things that I define like "educating players" and "supporting events", both of which help Innova make a profit. I am fully aware of the fact that Innova supports the USDGC so it can grow it's brand recognition and sell crap loads of discs during the tourney"

Haha. 99% percent of my disc money goes to discraft due to them being in Michigan and having a hand in many courses, leagues, and events locally.

I like how sponsored players tend to sell discs, it gives a real chance to meet em in a real setting on thier own, unforced time. I doubt I'd ever get the chance to hang and chill with a Nike sponsored player (except mike felps).
Do you really think Nike will allow clubs and people to sell thier discs at a lower price? Nike has pretty strict msrp.
I also appreciate market competition. From what Nike has shown in the skate scene, they don't fell the same.

Do you really think that if we entered a Bizarro wormhole & ended up in a world where Nike decided to buy out Innova, Discraft, Gateway, etc., and throw their weight into disc golf with as much fervor as they did into skateboarding that it would hurt the sport? Maybe you've been hanging with Michael Phelps a little too much…

Illuminati hopefully soon going down!!! Freedom of choice is what our world is all about. What choices do you make? Are you choosing options based on whom you are helping? Probably not, as just about everyone these days is forced to make a choice based on cost. If you're not forced to make decisions based on cost; you must work for someone who has already made those choices (probably) in a poor way (and is thus able to pay you a wage that allows you to avoid cost issues). (Of course, realize that this is a rather simplistic thing to say).
Our country was destined to be great for a while due to rhythmical (long term) issues primarily; and the fact that this opportunity must be offered at all times to certain (sometimes huge) groups of individuals. White people (and this is no racist comment) have fulfilled the mission of humans at this point in time; to the best degree of what has been expected of humans. At other times (in the past), and in other times, in the future, other races will ascend and descend. Such is the nature of the world. Natural resources available (and technology "invented" to use them/often at the exclusion of other just as valid technologies) is primarily the main reason we have "been great." Who was responsible for the stewardship of a large degree said resources? Native Americans...and you know how that ended up for them...once their time for that role was done. These are the types of discussions all of this type of thread is really leading to...though it rarely gets there; because there are no real answers; except on a personal basis...to these types of thoughts. There will not be any answers for most; for a huge number of incarnations....but, feel free to keep addressing this issue. Nike owners appreciate your support. :)

There will hopefully, in the near future, be a time when many humans can make decisions to benefit others or themselves; on a one to one basis. To get to the question of what "benefit" means is a HUGE question. In the case of this scenario; as has been pointed out; there are persons in "third world" (I know Jukeshoe; third world doesn't exist any more; or was, it BrotherDave who pointed that out?...I don't remember) who receive benefit from companies outsourcing. Many of us would be happy to work in a country where we may only be making $10 a week, but the cost of living would allow for a pretty good living with that wage. However, in general, you would be surrounded by persons you would not want to be surrounded by. How many volunteers for living in Mexico? Iran? China? (Lots of China seems so pretty...hard to say....etc. etc....)

These are the types of areas this thread touches upon and then a counterpoint comes in; which is valid...but are any answers expected? Of course you would buy a cheap/quality Nike product....the same as we all buy KFC and Walmart. However, if we own a big chunk of either; I doubt if we shop there very much....

And now, this thread goes into the landfill with other "somewhat religious and/or political" threads...

I know but I think you missed the point I was trying to make

I'm sure I did. I only read this page. I'm not even sure why I'm back in here.

I don't care who makes discs that fly well for me.

This is the correct answer. If Nike make discs that flew really well and had really consistent runs, people would buy them up just like any other company. Plus, that swoosh on my disc would be like, totally sick.

yes I do. Nike makes great stuff. I know they are the devil and all, but I don't really care all that much for reasons I won't get into here. Why am I in here again?

Very good point but here are the facts from my eyes:
skateboarding pre Nike- bunch of cool guys hanging, listening to good music
skateboarding post Nike- bunch of dudes in skinny jeans with girl bangs listening to crappy music
yeah they have way more skateparks where thier moms can drop them off at, but it'll never touch what it once was.
Dwayne Peters once spit in Tony Hawks face and declared: this is punk rock bitch:)

Latest posts