• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If Nike made DG gear/discs, would you buy it?

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that Innova is a little guy in the disc golf market, just saying in contrast to Nike, Innova is tiny. I don't have a loyalty to any one disc company.

I agree completely that Innova and Discraft are small compared to Nike and I certainly wasn't trying to call you out individually.

Next month will be my 4yr DG mark. After playing for the first time I didn't go skating again until August...2006. I'm still meaning to get out there but anytime I have a choice of a bag that says Revolution or Alva on it...Revolutino seems to win everytime.

In the end competition forces manufacturers to create better products. I bet we wouldn't see Innova's groove in the Monarch and Groove without Quest's "Dimple Technology". Hopefully everyone can find their nitch. I think we will see more companies focus on just drivers or just putters for example. Again, I go back to Vibram...

Last edited:
Would you buy a football made by Innova? How about a disc made by Merrell? Or a disc golf basket made by Spalding? I really think there is a special niche for disc golf that is no more likely to be "invaded" by the big manufacturers than other sports markets are likely to be invaded by the disc manufacturers. It could happen, but I don't think there's enough money in it either way for it to be worth much R&D until the sport gets a lot bigger. In other words, I think the sport will have to grow before the "big boys" of sports equipment gain interest, rather than the other way around.

And as much fun as it is to play, disc golf is probably not as good a spectator sport as skateboarding or the other X-Games. Disc golf isn't bad to watch, it just doesn't have the gripping action of more "active" sports. It may be hard to televise it without it becoming yawnsville to those who don't already play it. That alone might be "protecting" the disc golf equipment manufacturers from competition from the big boys.

I would buy it cause im sure with all the money nike has they would make some amazing disc after a year or two

As long as Lightning stays in business, I'm good.

What's funny is that a company like Lightning would make a great entry point for a company like Nike. Granted, Nike could probably just buy Innova or Discraft and pour in some cash to improve manufacturing and leverage their distribution networks, but I've got to think that Lightning would be a much lower cost, with adequate facilities, and people who are already connected in the "market." Nike steps in, improves the manufacturing facilities, has some of their engineers provide a few distinct, high quality plastics, and suddenly Lightning is putting out the best and cheapest discs on the market...

In the end competition forces manufacturers to create better products. I bet we wouldn't see Innova's groove in the Monarch and Groove without Quest's "Dimple Technology". Hopefully everyone can find their nitch. I think we will see more companies focus on just drivers or just putters for example. Again, I go back to Vibram...

I agree completely that competition will continue to improve dics golf products. But as a heads up for everyone, while Vibram started with putters, but we will definitely be branching out down the fairway. It is pretty exciting to be right in the middle of all of this.

Yes, and only because these corporates are capable of promoting the sport, which I have always thought is the reason why Discraft and Innova are reluctant to encourage the growth of the sport....basically making PROS PROS....as in $$$$$$$$$ dollar contracts and event purses....in the meantime....No commercials, contracted pros, outlet stores, etc..

Why?....because they are producing discs in the US for 10 cents....and in China, they could do it for 2 cents....and who could hang with marketing giants like Nike.....simply put....Innova and Discraft are wise to keep the sport on the low end....this keeps them in business....and Nike outside looking in....give it time though....plastic is too profitable and the sport too fun for Nike and others not to get their claws into it.

My advice to the "Nike" empire....you better come with quality plastics....i.e. champion, Z, or ESP....or stay on the porch....cause I will be buying your products to say I did, as I am putting it on thy shelf and not in thy bag

Did you know there is a direct correlation between how insane a person is and how many ellipses they use when typing?

Great. Ray left the tofu on the counter too long again and it fermented. Ray! if you read this. You are getting drunk off tofu moonshine or as we like to call it "San Fransico shine"

Latest posts