• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there were no distance drivers...

If I had no distance drivers, my FH shots would suffer, but maybe I'd actually learn to throw BH's in a more consistent manner. I've been working on discing down of late, anyways. I'm still amazed at how far I can get my mids out when I actually work at it.

Once upon a time - INNOVA considered both the Leopard and the TeeBird as Ultra Long Range Drivers. Here is an INNOVA Disc Selection Chart from 2000.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010701041325/http://innovadiscs.com/disc_select_chart.pdf

For those that like to debate the meaning and/or usage of the terms Understable, Stable and Overstable, this was at the bottom of the chart.
Quote:
Stability is a description of the disc's flight path. Understable means a flight that turns right, Stable is a flight that doesn't turn, Overstable refers to a flight that turns to the left.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: There are FAR too many people on these forums and on the course who say wow did you see how stable that is? or i need something more stable...when they should be saying overstable. It drives me INSANE! :wall:

My game would suffer a fair amount I think. Anything over 275 ft I will typically use long range drivers. I can get fairway drivers out there but I am more used to the long range drivers in my bag so I tend to favor them. My bag currently consists of 4 Distance Drivers, 2 fairway drivers, 2 mids, and 2 putters.

My game wouldn't really suffer that much. I already throw a mid more than 90% of the time anyways, even at 400' holes. The only place it would hurt me was on long wide open holes where I would lose about 100' or so by not being able to throw my Lace. It might actually give me an advantage on the competition since I'm throwing Ibexes as far or further than most other people are throwing Bosses.

I would have to learn the Banshee. But other than not throwing a Firechicken I would be ok. Leopards, DX Vipers and Rocs all day baby!

There are FAR too many people on these forums and on the course who say wow did you see how stable that is? or i need something more stable...when they should be saying overstable. It drives me INSANE! :wall:

Stable flight is flight that does not flip. Every disc flies stable at some speeds. "overstable" means exactly "more stable"

This is from wiki on flight stability.

As any vehicle moves it will be subjected to minor changes in the forces that act on it, and in its speed.
If such a change causes further changes that tend to restore the vehicle to its original speed and orientation, without human or machine input, the vehicle is said to be statically stable. The aircraft has positive stability.
If such a change causes further changes that tend to drive the vehicle away from its original speed and orientation, the vehicle is said to be statically unstable. The aircraft has negative stability.
If such a change causes no tendency for the vehicle to be restored to its original speed and orientation, and no tendency for the vehicle to be driven away from its original speed and orientation, the vehicle is said to be neutrally stable. The aircraft has zero stability.

A discs natural flight when spinning is to fade. Thus, anything that does not fade is not stable (negative stability ... less stable). Anything that fades is stable. The harder the fade, the more stable it is.

Stable flight is flight that does not flip. Every disc flies stable at some speeds. "overstable" means exactly "more stable"

A discs natural flight when spinning is to fade. Thus, anything that does not fade is not stable (negative stability ... less stable). Anything that fades is stable. The harder the fade, the more stable it is.

http://www.discraft.com/stability.html

Im not going to post this entire thing in here.

that is why the industry specifies between high speed stability and low speed stability.
more stable would mean it has a greater ability to not deter from its path at release.
over/under stable would mean that it has less of an ability to remain on its path at release.
it seems what you are trying to base your argument on is LSS. which is flawed, because at the moment LSS occurs the disc is no longer HSS.
and wiki is never wrong right?

definitition of stable
a (1) : placed so as to resist forces tending to cause motion or change of motion
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stable
i think logic proves that stable does not mean over stable or under stable.

If a disc were a non-spinning wing, stable would mean a resistance to deviance from straight flight. Since a disc spins, stable means a resistance to deviance a gyroscopically precessed flight. Which means a stable disc fades. It does not go straight.

A wing has an amount of stability. Therefore, I cannot be using either hss or lss excepting the other.

Here's one way to think about it: If the disc was shot out of a cannon with no spin, if the disc flies true, it is stable. If it does not, it is understable. If it flies truer than the cannon fires, it is overstable. A Destroyer will fly true, a Leopard will not, a Stilleto will fly truer than the cannon fires. A Destroyer is stable, a Leopard is understable, a Stiletto is overstable. FWIW, Stiletto, Nuke OS, and very few other discs are overstable. Overstable discs will fade immediately out of the hand even if you get them up to cruising speed.

And also, I really like Attik's dilemma. Noob buys a Firebird. Goes to the store. Clerk says "Man, you need something more stable" and hands him a RR. Noob starts throwing 450', RR turns and burns; noob returns to store. Clerk says "Man, you need something more stable" and hands him a Firebird. And so, A Firebird is more stable than a RR which is more stable than a Firebird.

Latest posts