• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there were no distance drivers...

I've been playing DG a few years but 15+ years of Ultimate taught me some decent form to go long BH or FH. The thing is most all MPM around here putt as well as or better than I do so losing my max d advantage would cost me. Of course, not blowing my winnings on the next greatest go far disc might be a wash and there'd be more time at the practice field putting instead of chasing the long ones. I take that back, I'd spend a lot more time learning rollers and everything would suffer.

lol @ people saying they'd still be good if they could carry their qausi-distance/fairway drivers like PDs.

Now imagine how good you'd be if it was only speed 6ish and below? That like a Gazelle would be the fastest disc in your bag?
I played better when my X-Clone was the fastest disc in my bag. :|

There was a serious simplicity to the game then. I carried an Aviar/Roc/Cyclone/X-Clone bag. They covered all the shots I needed. I liked that bag a lot. I'd lose some distance if I had to go back to the Cyclone as my main distance driver, but not so much that it would dramatically change my game.

The reality is that high speed drivers are easier to throw far, so not having them certainly won't make me better. It probably would make me worse. It would have the same effect on everyone, though. I think I might fare better than some others in dealing with the loss, so I'd get better by not getting as much worse as some others. :p

I played better when my X-Clone was the fastest disc in my bag. :|

There was a serious simplicity to the game then. I carried an Aviar/Roc/Cyclone/X-Clone bag. They covered all the shots I needed. I liked that bag a lot. I'd lose some distance if I had to go back to the Cyclone as my main distance driver, but not so much that it would dramatically change my game.

The reality is that high speed drivers are easier to throw far, so not having them certainly won't make me better. It probably would make me worse. It would have the same effect on everyone, though. I think I might fare better than some others in dealing with the loss, so I'd get better by not getting as much worse as some others. :p

I found one of those the other day in the woods. I was like "what is this bizarre thing?" (I've only been playing a few years now, so I've never heard of one before.) Interesting looking disc tho.

I would be fine as long as I could keep my Saints. I don't really ever throw my warp speeders unless I have a lot of room to let them work. Sure they go farther, but I can't see my game suffering without the fast stuff.

im speed 9 and under on everything except i have two wraiths in my bag. one stable star, and a beat pro. i use them maybe 3 times on a 18 hole round. huge hyzers would suffer and i couldnt get that long slight turn over with my beat pro. i would probably just use my ce exp1 for my star and a beat saint for the beat pro. so no not significantly

Speed nine and under wouldn't really bother me too much. I can get a valkyrie out about 40 feet shy of my destroyers if I really rip it.

I'm trying to throw speed 10+ discs again, but it isn't making a huge difference. Got some record throws with a worn in Destroyer whie actually playing, so that was exciting, but I can throw a Volt or Teebird just 30-40 feet less and am more consistent.

I'd be just fine, I get decent distance with mids and slower drivers, and I only currently throw warp speed drivers on the really long and mostly open holes so it wouldn't change more than a couple throws in most rounds anyway.

nah id be good... Sidewinder is as fast as i go and i can just use my Leopards.. just once they get over speed 9-10 its just not comfy for me.. and hell tbh i dont have the arm to truly get them up to speed anyway.. was kinda blown away when i get an Escape and its labeled Fairway Driver @ speed 9! but i guess thats just where we are headed :\

I have gone down to speed nine and below for bh, but my fh would suffer without the faster stuff.

heck i lost one of my two distance drivers yesterday. it wouldn't affect my score but i would enjoy having my beast and avenger ss...once i buy another beast.

...would your game suffer?

I never throw any, so I'd be set.

How 'bout you?

what classifies as a distance driver for you?
realistically a leopard or the like is a distance driver.

i played in a tourney this past weekend, and every time i threw something faster than an orc (wraith, destroyer, nuke) i bogeyed that hole.

i think i should just take out all of my distance drivers.

This really depends on course length and power level. Let's say you throw 300 feet with a Katana.

Your form may say
100% distance - speed 13
95% distance speed 11-12
90% distance speed 9-10
88% distance speed 7-8
85% distance speed 5-6
83% distance speed < 4

Well, if you go by that you can still throw 270-280 with mids and fairways, awesome.

But, if you throw 500', then you can only throw 440-460 without distance drivers.

You also have to consider wind and line shaping. Putters just don't move Left to right (or right to left) as fast as drivers.

If you are playing on courses with an average hole under 300, or a course without many uphills or downhills, you will do just fine.

If you are playing on a course average 425 with uphills and downhills, AND you have around 400' of power, you will suffer.

There is a reason that pro's throw faster discs. McBeth loves the Roc3 and can bomb it, but he also throws Tern's and other faster discs.

So, advanced players would suffer much more than beginners. Beginners and intermediates aren't ready to throw faster discs, they do better without them because they can't control them, not because the drivers aren't as useful.

Also wind. Have fun throwing an aviar in the wind while I throw my giants.

Uh, yeah. My game would be probably 3+ strokes per round worse... And thats assuming I can keep my pack of 4 gazelles. Basically everything over 320ish is getting a driver from me.

Latest posts