• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there were no distance drivers...

lol @ people saying they'd still be good if they could carry their qausi-distance/fairway drivers like PDs.

Now imagine how good you'd be if it was only speed 6ish and below? That like a Gazelle would be the fastest disc in your bag?

^^^^
Works for me I have 2 gazelles in the bag

Depends...if there was a cap on rim width at 1.75cm or whatever I would miss my destroyers and havoc for sure. My distance drivers are very useful for going very far on very low lines and yet still fading hard and skipping far. On many courses I definitely don't want to ever throw a destroyer but on the course I played today where there are a lot of 400ft shots my three "distance drivers" are a real convenience and I love them for it. If guess if I had to throw eagles instead I wouldn't mind that much but yes I would miss the "distance drivers".

Would be alot more interesting for sure . Its actually pretty fun playing with just mids and putters and an occasional fairway driver or two. Id rather be more accurate and have a good short game instead of bombing long drives all the time and either go ob or end up with a 30-40 foot putt into a headwind that I nearly can never make .

i dunno my mids max out at about 400 flat, hardly use my fairway drivers.

i added a d2 and d4 to my bag and have barely touched em, i go back and forth on whether or not its worth learning how to throw them.

It would affect me in that I pick up strokes on all the folks that don't know how to properly throw the high speed stuff.

I carry quite a few driving putters, a buzzz, couple teebirds, firebird, and the rest are max distance drivers.

I thought my game would be hurt if I didn't have distance drivers but I might be wrong.

At league the other night I won the distance throw with a ~600' drive with a Cryztal Nuke. But after the round I went and threw a 4X JK Pro Valkyrie that someone returned to be, it has been missing for about 2 years. I threw the Valk farther than I threw the nuke. So I don't even know.

On my honeymoon in Colorado (both courses we played were over 9000' above see level) and the main disc I threw on those courses was a Prodigy Pa2.

Fastest thing I throw is the Volt.. I'm trying to squeeze the Surge in my bag but outside of that.. Nope not at all. I could play with only fairways, mids, and putters easily.

I only pull my Giant or Sword once or twice a round....the rest of the time it's my Volt/Shock/Saint/Vision doing the work.

I think I would be ok.

I would still be able to reach most of the holes in my area so I wouldn't have an issue. These warp speeds are great for shots that are 400'+ that require shot shaping. Granted that I can still throw 400' and a some change with a PD, I could play my game relatively easily.

But I'm not taking out my drivers. I like them. :)

It probably wouldn't hurt me that much, but it might cost me a 2-3 strokes per round if I had to use say a Tee Bird off the tee instead of an R-Pro Boss, but then my 2nd shot would probably be a Buzzz instead of a Challenger, and while I should still par, I'm just gonna hit more of the putts I set up using a Challenger from closer in, than a Buzzz from farther away - hence I say it would cost me a few strokes/round. But in a tourney, that could be huge.

Also, this is very course dependent. This wouldn't hurt me at all on Hudson Mills Monster (= 0 strokes), would hurt me significantly at Stoney Creek ( 3-4 strokes), and would absolutely kill me at Sunnybrook (> 5 strokes).

Last edited:
With my wimpy arm, I only use t-birds or slower. The distance drivers only get used on really windy days, on open holes. (looking at you Stafford Lake) That is to say, I would play slightly worse on days when i'm already having trouble.....
Truth is, I really don't have a dog in this fight. The reactions to the idea of playing without the distinct advantage of a longer drive are damn entertaining tho.

If you are playing a 6000 foot course fine. But if you are playing 8000 + feet courses with 350 plus mandatory carries Destroyers are pretty essential.

Latest posts