• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you use to have HammerHead love what now?

Okie-J

Eagle Member
I'm back in the sport of DG and am really shocked at the prices of older plastic. Seems it's impossible to find some beater Hammerheads for the bag so what now?

What's a good understable brush busting **** happens disc?

Idk how Understable ur looking for but stingrays and stratus' are pretty crazy understable

Posted 08-22-07
Submitted by Anonymous Disc Weights: 180 g
Review: The Hammer was actually three discs, and all of them were turnover Mid-Ranges. The original Hammer was one of the really early golf discs. It was released in the late 80's about the same time as the Aviar XD, Coupe, original Ace, & original Roc. They were all 21.2 diameter discs. I believe the Hammer was a modified Ace. It had a hotstamp with a "tool" hammer flying toward a pole hole. Later it had a 3-D stamp that said "Hammer." After a short time the Hammer name was moved to a 21.7 diameter disc that was similar to the current Roc. The main difference was that the Hammer was advertised as unbreakable and as such had a massively thick flight plate, which made the disc fly understable. It was the "turnover midrange" in the Innova lineup until the mid 90's. This disc had the Hammerhead Shark hotstamp. Being understable made it a good choice for new players and since it was very durable many casual players would buy one and use it for years. When Innova launched Millennium Discs, it no longer needed its "unbreakable" discs and cancelled the Hammer and Griffin. A few years later the mold made a brief comeback in the "Hammerhead" disc, a turnover mid-range that was advertised as unbreakable and would float in water. There was a lot of difficulty producing this disc, so it was cancelled after one run. If you come across any of these discs, they are beginner friendly and will give you a nice controlled mid-distance turnover shot without needed a lot of snap. The weight of the massive flight plate keeps the disc from having good weight distribution out to the rim, so it is a very slow flyer. If you can throw it flat is will flip. However, they are probably too valuable as a collector's disc these days to actually start throwing them.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/dx-clhm.html -- hammer is being reproduced but sounds like a DX cobra or roc would work.

The disc that is being reproduced is the Classic Hammer, which was the old 21.2 CM disc. The Hammerhead was the 21.7 CM disc.

Really, the Hammer wasn't a good disc. It was really slow and squirrely, and it didn't have much glide. A Meteor, Fuse or Flying Squirrel would all be an improvement over a Hammer. Some discs go OOP for a reason.

I'm back in the sport of DG and am really shocked at the prices of older plastic. Seems it's impossible to find some beater Hammerheads for the bag so what now?

I have one. Go to bwcreate.org under disc exchange or message me, picture on the site

you can buy mine :)..oh wait never mind. I am keeping the hammerhead selling hammers

Latest posts